User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 hi temp limit switch

Hi. Just turned on my fridge in pouring rain and got the L1 op fault. I've reset previous units with a magnet, but this seems to have a white cover over the switch.

It's pouring and I can't see how to remove the cover....anyone know how before I break it [emoji1]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Clips on and off. Some things that I learned from a mobile tech;

These limit switches are a huge problem with common failure.

My unit had a beeping alarm and solid red light. The cause can be a real problem caused by a blockage or leaking chromate. Or it could be the switch or the temperature sensor located in the insulated pipe over the burner.

In my case, he had an old hi temp switch that he used as a test device. That switch would also would immediately trip... which pointed to the sensor in the stack as the issue. My reed switch and red light would not reset because the heat sensor was bad.

My unit was venting properly and had no evidence of a leak. He checked DC power, AC power and for any evidence of a leak. No issues.

That said, he gave me a spade jumper to use if I chose to use it as the issue was diagnosed and was not a blockage or cooling system failure.

I wouldn't recommend everyone do it, but I chose to remove the black box and use a jumper between the red and blue wires. This is a temporary fix until my parts arrive in two days...but it gets my fridge working.

Keep in mind this removes a valuable safety feature. I will shut my fridge off when we are sleeping or not at home and check it frequently...but for me it was a good temporary work around and I at least know it will be easily fixable when the parts arrive...

Side note...I called a mobile tech in central FL...he said he could fit me in in two months [emoji23]

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a shout out to GD warranty support. I have had great experience with GD warranty support, but I was a bit surprised when I filed my initial warranty request for a mobile tech to diagnose my fridge. Without my asking, they offered me $150.00 to buy a mini fridge to use while my problem gets sorted.

Since it was too late to save anything, they agreed to apply that money to my mobile tech service call.

That's great CS. But it also makes me wonder if there are any abnormal amount of Norcold failures. At any rate...kudos to GD!

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Hi. Just turned on my fridge in pouring rain and got the L1 op fault. I've reset previous units with a magnet, but this seems to have a white cover over the switch.

It's pouring and I can't see how to remove the cover....anyone know how before I break it [emoji1]

Ironic timing for your post as we got the RV washed this morning, the lower fridge panel got wet and the fridge got the L1 Op error. After reading a few RV forums I used the approach to leave the fridge on then putting a magnet (I use Elecfind rare earth magnets that I got off Amazon) and put it right above the red light. I held it there for about 8-10 seconds then heard a switch flip and the fridge returned to normal operation, no error code. This Norcold doesn't have a cover on it, so can't advise on your original question.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW