User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank Heater Question- 2017 Momentum 388 M

My husband and I are currently full-timing in our 2017 Momentum 388M while we wait for our house to be built here in Eastern Oregon. It has been an experience, to say the least.
    Last night the temperature dropped to negative 22, and the temperature tonight is also supposed to be well below freezing.
    My question is, I have the tank heater turned on, but does anyone know if that only heats the fresh water tank? I tried to dump the black water tank and the handle won’t budge. I am assuming the black tank is frozen? We do have skirting in place, and we keep the heat up so the underneath storage compartment stays warm.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have tank heaters, they should be on all tanks: fresh, black and gray. If there's only one switch, it will operate all tank heaters. The heaters are thermostatically controlled, so there's nothing wrong if you forget to turn them off, either.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had that issue when we lived in our 399. Turned out I had a slow leak on the black valve and it froze the entire portion of the pipe after the valve all the way down to the sewer hose. Solution was to wrap the sewer hose and pipe in foil, then apply heat tape, then wrap that in fiberglass insulation. I left it like that overnight and it was thawed the next day. During the spring I fixed the black valve and the next winter had no issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you have tank heaters, they should be on all tanks: fresh, black and gray. If there's only one switch, it will operate all tank heaters. The heaters are thermostatically controlled, so there's nothing wrong if you forget to turn them off, either.

Rob
    Thanks for this tidbit of information. I wasn’t aware that the tank heaters were thermostatically controlled. Now that things have gotten a bit frosty down here in Southeast New Mexico, that’s one less thing I need to worry about for the winter (turning tank heaters on and off based upon ambient temps).

You guys are the greatest! Thanks!
    Cheesehead Travelers 🧀 2021 Solitude 390RK, 2021 RAM 3500 6.7 HO/Turbo Diesel
    Patty: Head Cheese
    Bobby: Cheese Whiz (USMC Veteran)
    Brooke (Yorkie): Cheez-it

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Mesa View Post
    Thanks for this tidbit of information. I wasn’t aware that the tank heaters were thermostatically controlled. Now that things have gotten a bit frosty down here in Southeast New Mexico, that’s one less thing I need to worry about for the winter (turning tank heaters on and off based upon ambient temps).

I believe the magic number to turn them off is 40 deg f. Any temp below that they will be on.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Mesa View Post

We're in Las Cruces for the winter - where are you?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After six years living in the high desert up north (South of Santa Fe), we’re currently in the Permian Basin, in the Roswell/Carlsbad area.

Last summer we sold our Imagine and started to full-time in our Solitude, which has been GREAT… though we eventually plan on building our retirement sticks & bricks somewhere in the Southwest, whenever the world settles down and stops wobbling on its axis.

Anyway, we frequently traverse through Las Cruces to visit family in the PHX area. Beautiful area for sure! Perhaps we’ll cross paths before summer rolls around?

I don’t post much, but I’m constantly learning from you and others. Again, we’re VERY appreciative of your work on the forums, including prompting me to re-read the manuals. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the tank heaters run off gas or electric?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Barber View Post
    Do the tank heaters run off gas or electric?
    12 volt electric
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    12 volt electric
    They draw 5 amps each at 12 volts. So. With my 3 pads, that’s 15 amps. Hence. With my two 12 volt flooded cell batteries… I try to be plugged into shore power or a generator when I use em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax