Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frozen Pipes need Thawing

Hello, my water pipes froze last night and I'm hoping they thaw today before the next freeze again tonight.
    However, I am going to pick up a portable propane heater later today.
    Where should I aim this -- at the water source/faucet outlet? Or should I place it underneath the RV somewhere? If the latter, what do I aim at?
    Thanks!
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you hooked up to full hookups? Keep water dripping if you are. Then try to keep Rv above 70-72 and shouldn’t freeze as long as you have some water running.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
    2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
    2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
    2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
    2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the water line to the RV or the internal RV plumbing?

If internal plumbing, run the furnace for awhile assuming you have an enclosed underbelly (I dont know what RV you have). For winter camping, a heated RV water hose is best or just fill the FW tank and disconnect and drain the water hose when not in use.

If the water line to the RV is frozen, best way to thaw it would be heat tape and some 1/2" foam pipe insulation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello, my water pipes froze last night and I'm hoping they thaw today before the next freeze again tonight.
    However, I am going to pick up a portable propane heater later today.
    Where should I aim this -- at the water source/faucet outlet? Or should I place it underneath the RV somewhere? If the latter, what do I aim at?
    Thanks!
    It might help to open cabinet doors on the island to get some heat nearer the pipes and the bathroom cabinet. The 2970 does not have a heated storage compartment where the water panel is located and its not a nautilus panel. If its frozen near the water panel you may have to remove the storage compartment back panel and aim a heater in there behind the panel. When we had our 2950, just like the 2970 I cut the storage compartment back panel wall and made a hinged door out it near the water panel so I could open it and gain access to the backside of the water panel. Yes by all means run the furnace, maybe you'll get lucky.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone so far, but no one really answered my specific question: "I have an outdoor propane heater -- where do I aim it?"
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone so far, but no one really answered my specific question: "I have an outdoor propane heater -- where do I aim it?"
    I'm not really sure this will help in your case unless you put it under the camper and completely skirt it in, but you would need to have a vent area for the exhaust of the heater.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but the question still remains:

"Where should I aim this -- at the water source/faucet outlet?"
    Or, "should I place it underneath the RV somewhere? If the latter, what do I aim at?"
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but the question still remains:

"Where should I aim this -- at the water source/faucet outlet?"
    Or, "should I place it underneath the RV somewhere? If the latter, what do I aim at?"
    Putting a propane forced heater under the RV isn't going to help and could be dangerous. The heat will dissipate without ever thawing out anything or catch something on fire.
    If you have no water in either the bathroom or kitchen, its probably frozen at the campground water spigot, hose leading to the rv, or right at or behind the water panel in the rv storage compartment. If its the campground spigot maybe a propane forced heater aimed at the spigot might thaw it out without melting the hose. If its the hose leading to the RV a propane heater isn't going to help, too long of a distance. Replace the water hose with another one, if its not a heated hose it will probably freeze again.
    If the water is frozen inside the RV at the storage compartment water panel connection, a propane forced heater can't be used or placed close enough to thaw out the panel without burning down the RV. Your best bet in this case is to get an electric heater, place it right inside the storage compartment aimed at the water panel.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-02-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK great -- thanks, that's the sort of info I was looking for!
    Cheers
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A suggestion for the future. Use a water line heating tape. If you have an internal water bay put a 60 watt incandescent light in there. Keep your furnace running so that it heats the basement and as suggested, allow the water to drip somewhere. With my previous trailer I had an external connection (water), did use a heated water line, kept the trailer warm, and ran the water every now and then just to make sure it wasn't starting to freeze up in the exterior line.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast