User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making the switch from WFCO

I have followed this forum from time to time and have always had great advice. SO here we go again...

2019 Momentum 394M
    On this last trip, I noticed the WFCO converter fan running almost continuously. I did use the Tank heaters for the first two days as it was in the Teens, but then as I had fuller tanks, I gave up on the Tank Heaters. Using the Tank Heaters is what prompted me to notice the new noice we had never heard before (never used the Tank Heaters before either) and after we quit using the heaters the converter fan would still cycle quite often almost to the point of running continuously.

I think I have lost confidence in the WFCO and am preventively looking to switch converters. I have seen Progressive Dynamics discussed. Is there model that is a direct replacement plug and play? NO lithium or solar. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chile
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making the switch from WFCO

When the fam runs that means that the converter is generating enough heat to activate it, this happens usually when running heavy loads.

What else were you running besides the tank heaters? It could be as simple as running a bunch of stuff. Now of you have noticed the fan running more under the same load that’s something to talk about.

If you have a deck mount converter it is a pretty easy swap. I went with a PD 9260 deck mount to replace my WFCO 9855 deck mount.

These units literally plug into an outlet and have a plus, minus and a ground. That’s it.

Now as far as Progressive Dynamics, for me they strikes the best value between cost and function. Been very happy with my swap. I’ve went with PD based on the one on my previous rv. 14 years old and going strong when I sold it.

Here is a picture pre-swap
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5368.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	38351

The PD is bigger, but for my application not enough to cause a problem installing it.

You can’t go wrong with a PD.

Good Luck
    Bill

On edit:
    This is the one I purchased

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GASX9O...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Redapple63; 01-02-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill! Yes, the Fan is running almost continuously with only two zones of LED lights on (no other 12 volt systems on). Fridge is off, and RV has been plugged into the 50 amp at the house for 24 hours after a 1400 mile drive.

I am going to give the PD9260 C a try. I just don't want to fix/replace things when on vacation. A little PM (preventive maintenance) goes a long way.
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glampers View Post
    Thanks Bill! Yes, the Fan is running almost continuously with only two zones of LED lights on (no other 12 volt systems on). Fridge is off, and RV has been plugged into the 50 amp at the house for 24 hours after a 1400 mile drive.

I am going to give the PD9260 C a try. I just don't want to fix/replace things when on vacation. A little PM (preventive maintenance) goes a long way.
    Before you buy, make sure you get the right converter. Physically look at it and make sure you get the right one. Progressive Dynamics has a chart to ensure you get the right one.

Thanks,
    Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the PD cross reference site…this will help you choose correct replacement.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/conve...ference-guide/

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three trailers ago I bought an IOTA-55 deck-mount converter for a Starcraft we had. It's now mounted in the pass-through hookup center in our Imagine. The original WFCO is turned off at the breaker and is only used for an AC/DC distribution center. I get a better converter for faster charging off a generator, the converter is closer to the batteries an I used heavier gauge wire for it, and I still have the WFCO as a backup.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=The Glampers;408886

I think I have lost confidence in the WFCO and am preventively looking to switch converters. I have seen Progressive Dynamics discussed. Is there model that is a direct replacement plug and play? NO lithium or solar. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

/QUOTE]

Here is a good source for converters and info:

bestconverter.com
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as an FYI, the WFCO converter fans run based on current (load) draw, not temperature.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite right....checking your load is important. How is the battery?, disconnect it and see if fan runs.

I had a battery issue once and the fan ran quite a bit. Replaced the battery and voila...issue resolved. The battery had died and likely my fault as I did discharge it quite a bit twice. The battery lasted only 3 years. I nursed the new one and 5 years later was still quite alive and kicking.

I have checked all my loads directly at the home fuse box with an a/c A meter. I run a 20A circuit out to a 30A adapter to trailer. Turn everything off and disconnect your battery to check for your base load. Connect the battery and see. With the battery disconnected I was getting 14.7V across the terminals. However, there was no load. With the battery connected I did see a marginal load increase but the battery was fully charged and this was likely the trickle charge that kicked in.

Time consuming but worth the time.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fan running certainly doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the converter-maybe, but maybe not. I would do a little investigation rather than buy new parts right away, otherwise you may just end up with a new converter with the fan running. It's also on the early side - time wise- for the original converter to be faulty.

But to your question about replacement recommendations, I would go with an appropriate amperage rated Progressive Dynamics.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast