User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time on CAT scales with PB and TT (2250rk)

As background, here was my welcome post: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...250rk?p=396682

In summary, we sold our 2019 Silverado in Feb 2021 due to multiple rear window leaks that Chevy could not fix. Then we found a deal on the 2250rk that we've been eyeing for a couple years in June 2021. Then we ordered a 2021 Powerboost and it arrived last month (Dec 2021). We ordered from Chapman in PA. See thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...903#post408903

So finally had the opportunity to hitch up and run across the CAT scales yesterday.

Truck specs:
    '21 Oxford White, 302a XLT PB 7.2kw 157, 4x4, Max Tow, Tow mirrors, 360* camera, Sport package, 20" Sport wheels, Co-Pilot360 assist 2.0, Interior work surface, Power adjustable pedals, 8 Sp B&O, Onboard scales, Tailgate step/work surface, Box link, Wheel well liners. Factory Payload 1523 lbs.
    Added: LINE-X Premium. XPEL PRIME XR tint. WeatherTech HP mats. Rugged Ridge shackle isolators. Sporthfish rear seat release. Geolandar G015 LT285/60r20.

TT factory specs:
    Grand Design Imagine 2250rk, UVW 5546 lbs, Hitch Weight 515 lbs, GVWR 7495 lbs, Length 27' 11", Height 11' 0", Axle Rating 3500

The chains were able to reach and connect to the hitch when straight, but they were too tight for my comfort for turns. So I used some shackles to provide a little more reach. Plus, a little more red on this truck never hurts

Before hitching, the front fender was 38 1/4 and the rear was 41 1/8
    After WD hitching, the front fender was 38 1/2 and the rear was 39 1/2

Using a 4' level on the bed rail, the truck was dead level. Using the level on the TT above the axles on the horizontal seam, the bubble was between the lines, but rear shifted slightly, which meant a very, very slight tongue lean.

The truck's Geolandar LT tires were only inflated to 50lbs and the TT tires (Goodyear Endurance Load D Max 65 lb) were between 60-65 lb.

I used the sway control on the Recurve R6 hitch and disabled the F150's electronic sway control.

It was pretty windy and going about 60-65 mph, I felt some sway with truck passes or occasional large gusts. It felt more than when I've towed with an HD, but it wasn't that bad really. I'm thinking next time, maybe air the truck up to 65 lbs. Not sure if needed, they didn't look under inflated and their load index at 50lb should be okay.

According to the trip computer, the MPGs were 8.5 over the 30 or so miles from the storage unit to the scales and back. We used tow/haul mode.

The TT had almost all our gear in it. We gassed the truck to full. The only thing in the truck with us was a pancake air compressor. We normally also bring our clothes, cooler, and camping chairs, but didn't for this first measurement.

The scales measured 3500 on the steer, 3900 on the drive, and 5660 on the trailer axles.

The truck has a 3900 steer GAWR, 4150 rear GAWR, but only a 7350 total rating, so while we can load up to another 250 lbs on the rear axle, I think we're slightly over on total. But I'm not sure why the axles GAWR total up way more than the truck's GVWR.

I was possibly thinking about going up one set of holes on the R6 hitch to get the TT to shift some weight back off the hitch and to the rear, but not sure if that's wise or if it'll put the TT nose high or still stay pretty level.

Open to any and all feedback, support, or criticism. Thanks!

Pics below. Enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1641165369377.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	38352

Name:	1641165661049.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	775.2 KB 
ID:	38353

Name:	1641165741383.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	833.7 KB 
ID:	38354

Name:	1641165398970.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	38355

Name:	1641165429715.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	38356
    Last edited by UGADawgs; 01-03-2022 at 03:27 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	1641165462063.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	38357

Name:	1641165492015.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	38358

Name:	1641165508618.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	38359

Name:	2022-01-03 05_20_17-Photo - Google Photos.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	713.6 KB 
ID:	38360

Name:	2022-01-03 05_20_24-Photo - Google Photos.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	905.8 KB 
ID:	38361
    Last edited by UGADawgs; 01-03-2022 at 03:21 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough truck for my tastes. You are slightly over now.... And if you plan on actually using this TT will soon be way over.
    No mention of water, propane, food etc.... And that bed that only had a pancake compressor in it will be full of things.... Doing a weigh like this is a waste of time and money. I only do weighs when I am actually on a trip.... As I know that like you, I will not load everything I load for a trip just to go weigh it. That takes way too long to load it all, just to unload it. Do your weighs when it counts. When EVERYTHING is getting weighed
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write-up. Thanks.

I think you need to know the truck's weights when empty. Then maybe you can better determine how much weight to transfer to the front.

Not sure why you would turn off the truck's sway control. It would be good to know if it reacts any different with it on.

Anyhow - nice write up. You sound pretty thorough. Safe travels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Nice write-up. Thanks.

I think you need to know the truck's weights when empty. Then maybe you can better determine how much weight to transfer to the front.

Not sure why you would turn off the truck's sway control. It would be good to know if it reacts any different with it on.

Anyhow - nice write up. You sound pretty thorough. Safe travels.
    Thanks!

At first on the way to the scales, we had the truck's sway on and sway off on the WD hitch and it seemed to be fishing quite a bit, but it was really windy. On the way back, we enabled it on the hitch, but left it off on the truck and it did much better.

On the F150gen14 forum, many members have stated that the truck's sway fights with their WD hitch sway so they only use one. I guess I could have tested both on, but we only did 15 miles each way. Next time we could test with both on since it it easy enough to adjust the truck from the head unit.

yeah, I guess our next weighing could be taking the truck to the scales and have no humans in it when clicking weigh on the app. Great suggestion! Thanks!
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes nice right up. That PB sure has my interest. I'm just not sure that it would meet my towing requirements. I'd be interested in hearing more on your TV performance after you've done a few trips and I'm sure many more members would also.
    As mentioned above I think you'll be over weight also. Not to be the weight police. We have a 22mle which gives us a tongue weight of around 760 when loaded for a trip and 1/3 fresh water and 1426 payload on our F150. With coolers, some gear and us in the TV my payload is max. I also have a tonneau, linex....
    Anyway, your wdh seems to be properly setup and tt on your pics looks good also. It's best to have it a little nose down then up. Level is even better .
    What you are missing is 2 more weights at the scale to get your true picture. You need 3 weights and as suggested above, best to do it when leaving for a trip. Not when returning as the beer cooler should be empty. [emoji23] 1. TV and TT with WDH engaged. 2. TV and TT with WDH disengaged and 3. TV only.
    Then take these reading along with your door sticker number and punch them any online tow calculators found online like this one which is pretty good and popular.
    https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Yes nice right up. That PB sure has my interest. I'm just not sure that it would meet my towing requirements. I'd be interested in hearing more on your TV performance after you've done a few trips and I'm sure many more members would also.
    As mentioned above I think you'll be over weight also. Not to be the weight police. We have a 22mle which gives us a tongue weight of around 760 when loaded for a trip and 1/3 fresh water and 1426 payload on our F150. With coolers, some gear and us in the TV my payload is max. I also have a tonneau, linex....
    Anyway, your wdh seems to be properly setup and tt on your pics looks good also. It's best to have it a little nose down then up. Level is even better .
    What you are missing is 2 more weights at the scale to get your true picture. You need 3 weights and as suggested above, best to do it when leaving for a trip. Not when returning as the beer cooler should be empty. [emoji23] 1. TV and TT with WDH engaged. 2. TV and TT with WDH disengaged and 3. TV only.
    Then take these reading along with your door sticker number and punch them any online tow calculators found online like this one which is pretty good and popular.
    https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Thanks for the feedback. That was one of the reasons I posted the pictures as I felt that the truck and TT were looking good from a leveling perspective, but wasn't sure if something was missing. The only things we did not bring with us for this weighing that we had brought on previous trips was a cooler, our camping chairs, and clothes. And all those had been traveling in the TT over the axles. I think going back for a weight of just the tow vehicle is a great idea. Curious about the note about "2. TV and TT with WDH disengaged "... do you mean completely disconnect the TT off the truck hitch and weigh them as separate entities by having the TT jack stand down with the TT tires on the trailer scale ? Is this to get an actual TT weight I assume ?
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UGADawgs View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. That was one of the reasons I posted the pictures as I felt that the truck and TT were looking good from a leveling perspective, but wasn't sure if something was missing. The only things we did not bring with us for this weighing that we had brought on previous trips was a cooler, our camping chairs, and clothes. And all those had been traveling in the TT over the axles. I think going back for a weight of just the tow vehicle is a great idea. Curious about the note about "2. TV and TT with WDH disengaged "... do you mean completely disconnect the TT off the truck hitch and weigh them as separate entities by having the TT jack stand down with the TT tires on the trailer scale ? Is this to get an actual TT weight I assume ?
    For the second reading, you simply disengaged the bars. Leave the tt hitched. You need this reading to get your actual, real life, tongue weight. That scale weight rear axle minus the rear axle weight of the scale paper of the TV only will give you your real tongue weight which is subtracted from your payload (cargo capacity)

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    For the second reading, you simply disengaged the bars. Leave the tt hitched. You need this reading to get your actual, real life, tongue weight. That scale weight rear axle minus the rear axle weight of the scale paper of the TV only will give you your real tongue weight which is subtracted from your payload (cargo capacity)

helpful, thank you!
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you tighten the chains on the hitch, less weight on drive and a bit more on front, and more weight on both trailer-axles. That might be yust enaugh to bring total weight of TV below GVWR , and still not to much diving of front axle.

TT has enaugh left over, to shift some weight to.
    Also front axle of TV.

When passed or passing try to keep as much possible sideward distance between the 2 vehicles, to get as low possible sway.
    This askes some cooperation of both vehicles/combinations.
    Last edited by jadatis; 01-08-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast