User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 Momentem 348 electrical parisitic draw on Monior Panel

We recently bought a 2017 GD 5th wheel Model 348 and love it. When i got it home everything was fine. I whent to check it out at the RV yard and found the two new 6v batteries drained because the isoloation switch was left on by mistake. Thank god it was left on, becuae I charged the 6v DEAD batteries to full change and when I installed them found a 3A parisitic draw on the monitor panel. Has anyone expericened the samething? or can anyone direct me to where i can get a wiring schematic for my coach? Any help or troubleshooting tips would be helpful, thanks.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an uncommon event. Many, perhaps most, Battery Disconnect Switches don't completely disconnect the battery/ies from loads. So parasitic draws are common, although 3 amps is quite a bit when the Disconnect switch is Off. You can track down and move the offending circuits so the Disconnect switch actually works, unbolt the negative battery cable from the battery, or install an aftermarket Battery Disconnect Switch.

FWIW, reliable wiring schematics are basically non-existent due to the fact that the trailers are not assembled exactly the same, and wiring is done very haphazardly.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy has a 2021 Reflection 340RDS. Shortly after he took delivery I was helping him root cause his 2nd dead battery (kill switch confirmed “OFF” position both times) I was astonished to find many active circuits when his switch was in the OFF position.

This included the propane detector, external leveling touch pad, basement lights, front cap/hitch Light and the light at the sewer connection.

The propane detector would drain the battery over a period of a few weeks alone. If a light was left on it would be much quicker.

This makes no sense to me. OFF position should mean no loads right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhoppy View Post
    We recently bought a 2017 GD 5th wheel Model 348 and love it. When i got it home everything was fine. I whent to check it out at the RV yard and found the two new 6v batteries drained because the isoloation switch was left on by mistake. Thank god it was left on, becuae I charged the 6v DEAD batteries to full change and when I installed them found a 3A parisitic draw on the monitor panel. Has anyone expericened the samething? or can anyone direct me to where i can get a wiring schematic for my coach? Any help or troubleshooting tips would be helpful, thanks.
    If you use the search function (upper right on every page) you will find a lot of discussions on this. The bottom line is the battery disconnect switch does NOT totally disconnect the batteries. Most people either remove one of the battery leads (preferably the negative) from the battery or install a true disconnect switch for storage. With the battery connected (switch on - you can not remove the key) 2.5~3 amps draw is what I see in our trailer with everything "off". There are a lot of little loads that add up. With the switch disconnected (you can remove the key) I see around 1/2 amp draw. there are a few items that (stock) are always powered, like smoke & LP detectors, radio, etc.

Hope this helps

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By law there are some items they can't shut off. Like the propane detector, the emergency brake and the levelers. That is why people have to install their own true battery disconnect.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    By law there are some items they can't shut off. Like the propane detector, the emergency brake and the levelers. That is why people have to install their own true battery disconnect.
    No offense, but I'd like to see this "law". There may be company CYA's that assert that some components should be connected, but I've never heard of such a law. My OEM Battery Disconnect Switch truly disconnects all loads from the battery. There are some things that are still connected, but they draw no load.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    There are laws that legislators make, and then there are laws that are established by lawyers suing and winning large judgements. In the first case, it is written by statute, code etc. In the second case, it usually isn't written anywhere, except in court judgments setting pecedents..
    And yes companies DO pay attention to both types of "laws" as it protects their profits, and even their ability to stay in buisiness.

2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for putting that "laws" you're referring to in parentheses. That would indicate they aren't laws as such and are not enforceable by the local LEO.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Thank you for putting that "laws" you're referring to in parentheses. That would indicate they aren't laws as such and are not enforceable by the local LEO.
    That would be technically correct. But the end effect is the same. Companies CARE about the bottom line.

Case in point: My company is open to the public to shop it's products. Sometimes people slip and fall on a liquid that another customer spilled. Sometimes those customers sue for damages. Over the years and cases liability has been established that if a buisiness does a floor inspection every hour and logs it, verifiable by video monitoring, that the bussiness is not negligent for the spill being present, and that every customer entering a public bussiness must shoulder a reasonable share of the risk. This is not a statute or code written anywhere. It is just years of precedents
    Some years ago, we decided to do inspections twice an hour in certain areas just to be sure that we did not miss an hourly one. Some lawyer got wind of it, and tried to make the new standard 30 minutes... We prevailed in that case. But you will no longer find this in writing anywhere in our bussiness,even though that is what we try to do... It is unofficial.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Companies CARE about the bottom line."

Everyone knows that, it's why CYA's are printed on everything from "Don't use this lawnmower to trim your hedges" to "Don't drink the contents of your car battery". Shakespeare had it right.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast