Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does shrink film tape come off easily?

Would like to do the single pane windows on our 28MKS but had an ugly thought that stopped me dead in my tracks...

Will the tape be a nightmare to remove in the spring? Seems to me the tape is foam with glue on both sides. From past experience this type of tape is a dead end street.

Anybody use it successfully (or unsuccessfully)? Any tips or tape brand recs?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used products like Duck Brand Window Insulation Kits before I had dual pane windows. I applied the double sided tape to the metal ring around the window. When it came time to remove it I had very little trouble doing so. I simply scratched it with my finger nail to get an edge started, then pulled it off. It came off easier and cleaner than scotch tape on the wind shield.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the purpose of the tape? If it's just for insulation, you might have better luck cutting Reflectix a little larger than your window on the inside and then velcro it in place. Obviously it blocks sunlight, but it's easily removed. If the tape serves another purpose, then it would depend on that purpose for other ideas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use the "Frost King" shrinkable film kits on my house windows each winter, to help with condensation. The thin double stick tape it comes with always comes off with no damage to my wood/polyurethane finished windows in the spring. You can buy the tape separately, but the full kits are very cheap too. (Home Depot). I might not trust it on wood trim in my trailer (the stain/finish is pretty bad as far as durability), but would on the plastic/metal window surrounds. The tape is cheap, so doing a test in a small spot would be easy. Just make sure to let it sit for 24 hrs before trying to remove, as it "grabs" more after some time in the open. I find it generally comes off at the same time as the plastic film when I remove in the spring, but I have found sections leftover the next fall that I missed initially. Still comes off easily. Tape is pretty invisible, easy to miss, so may not be a big deal if you don't get it all....

BTW - they sell a version that has one edge pre-taped, and comes on a roll to cut off like kitchen wrap. DON'T buy it! For some reason, the pre-taped edge just doesn't stick very well, so defeats the sealing to prevent condensation. But the regular kits work well. They come in a wide variety of sizes, with a variable number of plastic sheets. Super easy to cut, so one sheet can be cut down for multiple windows. 3M makes a comparable version, if you can't find the Frost King brand.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As already mentioned, simply scratch a little part off with finger nail and the rest will peel easily. I've used various brands and never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used the 3M shrink film this winter, bought it at Menards, and the tape comes off easy with no residue. We put the double sided tape on the metal window frame. It made a big difference in keeping the interior warmer, just be cognizant of condensation. Our little dehumidifier does the job along with some damp-rid.
    That is the one thing I wish we had, the double pane windows, but we bought the rv off the dealer lot and they don't order them with double pane windows. I didn't realize how "leaky" (wind) the single panes are. There isn't much felt or rubber, if any, seals in the track the window glass slides through.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel