User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Length Conundrum

We are shifting gears from a 34' bunkhouse trailer and really like the Reflection 303 for just us as we retire and become empty nesters. We are worried that we will be limiting our access to campgrounds in National and State Parks and plan to do short trips around Colorado and long trips around North America. What has your experience been and is there really a big advantage in staying less than 30'? We really enjoy getting off the beaten path and prefer to stay away from RV parks that look like RV parking lots.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 303 and never have any particular trouble. A 32’ 5th wheel will fit in a much smaller site than a 30’ travel trailer in most cases.

The biggest issues are tight turns on roads with trees close to the edges. If I have any doubt, I call the campground rather than relying on what the web site says.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 260RD and it is just over 30'. We camp mainly at state parks in Maryland, Delaware and PA. We can get in and out just fine. I was always told that 30-31' is the sweet spot for trailers and being able to navigate state parks. So far, that is correct (for us anyway). As a side note, you always need to consider the height as well which is also listed when you make reservations at some state campgrounds.
    Bobby K.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreglio View Post
    We are shifting gears from a 34' bunkhouse trailer and really like the Reflection 303 for just us as we retire and become empty nesters. We are worried that we will be limiting our access to campgrounds in National and State Parks and plan to do short trips around Colorado and long trips around North America. What has your experience been and is there really a big advantage in staying less than 30'? We really enjoy getting off the beaten path and prefer to stay away from RV parks that look like RV parking lots.
    I don't think you'll have much trouble with the 303 at 33 feet. Most State and National Parks that have a length restriction is right around 35 feet but some really old parks are lower at @ 32 feet. Ours is 37 feet and we haven't ran into a problem yet. One park asked the length of our truck though.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a 303 RLS and have never had any issues. We are also empty nesters
    and absolutely love this floor plan. This floor plan is known as the Couples Rig.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don’t have a problem in state parks in MN. Couldn’t find a state park in Western Maryland though. Could have been because of the slides. We stayed at the same parks with a 33’ pull behind though. National Parks we’ve tried to book at are out. Lots are older campgrounds made for when units were smaller. We also didn’t find many national parks with electric.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
    We have a 260RD and it is just over 30'. We camp mainly at state parks in Maryland, Delaware and PA. We can get in and out just fine. I was always told that 30-31' is the sweet spot for trailers and being able to navigate state parks. So far, that is correct (for us anyway). As a side note, you always need to consider the height as well which is also listed when you make reservations at some state campgrounds.
    We likely frequent all of the same parks and our Solitude fits fine. It is not the shortest, but a 35-foot model. Have not ever had an issue finding a site it'll fit, but you do need to do you CG homework in advance. The only challenges I have had to date are narrow, one-way loop road with no shoulders and getting the coach backed in because I have an enormous TV being crew cab, long bed, and dually. Totally doable, just need to be patient and ok with a lot of small adjustments. Personally, I have found the height to be what you need to be vigilant of, and carry a pole pruning saw and ask permission to make a trim, if needed. Through COVID-19, a lot of the city, county, and State Park campgrounds have not been well-maintained (DE and MD are in the worst shape I've seen) so I cannot stress enough to keep eyes open for things that want to reach out and touch your coach!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in a 45' motorhome and decided to downsize. Our original thought was to go with a 30' TT but as full-timers, we did not think that we could live in something that small. We decided on a 351MS which is around 39'. We are members of Thousand Trails and plan on using their parks as much as we can. As we roamed around state parks in OR and WA, many of them could fit a 5th wheel of that size so if we can hit a state park every now and then, that would be a bonus. We are looking forward to taking delivery of the new RV so we can start our new downsized adventure.

This might help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenth vs Parks.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	38429
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the 303 for about 7 years we have not found many places we don't fit. We like camping at State and National parks and forests. A few have been tight but not too the point we couldn't do it.

Like mentioned above do your homework on the layout of the camp ground and any issues of not fitting can be easily avoided
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-11-2022 at 06:47 AM. Reason: auto incorrect strikes again
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone else has said, you won't have a problem. The truth is, almost all campsite descriptions are wrong anyways. I can't count the number of times I booked a site that claimed to be max 30 feet combined length and my 303 fit without any problem with tons of room to spare. In October, I had an awesome site in Great Basin NP that the recreation.gov limits to 25' maximum length. My truck and trailer easily fit in the site while still connected. A 40 foot fiver would have fit. The road was a little tight, but the campsite was spacious. I check out every campsite on Google Maps before booking.

After three years, my wife and I still love our 303. It is also the first trailer we have owned without bunks. Our last trailer was a 35' bumper pull. Our total length is 8 feet sorter towing the 303!
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast