User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart Weigh - Our Experience

I decided to try Smart Weigh with our new travel trailer and tow vehicle. Thought it was a perfect opportunity while we are in FL and packed for a 2 month trip. Smart Weigh is offered by Escapees but open to public and members alike. It has always been the same price, but I understand that may change in 2022. We paid $55.

I really like this solution. Each wheel is weighed individually on both the travel trailer and tow vehicle (or motorhome, dingy, etc.). The tow vehicle is weighed alone and hitched to the trailer. The first benefit is that you get weights from each wheel/axle, front, rear, and side to side. The second benefit is you get someone with expertise to review all the results, make recommendations, discuss tires and inflation, etc.

What we learned is that our trailer weights were well within specifications, but the slide side was 350lbs heavier than the opposite side. Our hitch weight was at 12%, which is good. Our main issue was that our truck was 50lbs over the GVWR, and I estimate we have 200 lbs in the bed and virtually nothing extra in the cab. That should be resolved with the purchase of a new truck on order, but that was a big surprise. Perhaps it shouldn't be given it's a 2004 with larger rims, tires, and lift kit, which all add weight. The other option is for me to finally lose those 50lbs I've been working on for 20 years.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 01-04-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Smart Weighed at Escapee's Livingston TX. Yup our RV left, drivers side is much heavier than the right side. (stove, pantry, cabinets, fridge, TV, fireplace, microwave, 2nd pantry all on left side).
    The price is well worth the knowledge you gain along with the expertise of the person doing the weighing of your RV.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the Escapees Smart Weigh shortly after becoming GD owners.

We found the curbside of the rig (stove, fridge, and cabinet with canned goods) was about 100 lbs. heavier than the street side (tv, fireplace, dining table). We moved all the canned goods into the cabinet next to the fireplace (making that the "pantry").

Overall, we were underweight with everything we have stored in and on the rig, so we were happy.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kept blowing the right front tire on my old 5th wheel, did the smart weigh in TX. I found out that wheel was carrying 500 pounds more than the other three. Nobody has ever been able to explain why that was. I took the results to a trailer repair facility that builds trailers. They looked at the weights, inspected my RV, then recommended a fix. $6000 later I was back on the road and never had another problem with it for the next 5 years I owned that 5th wheel.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I kept blowing the right front tire on my old 5th wheel, did the smart weigh in TX. I found out that wheel was carrying 500 pounds more than the other three. Nobody has ever been able to explain why that was. I took the results to a trailer repair facility that builds trailers. They looked at the weights, inspected my RV, then recommended a fix. $6000 later I was back on the road and never had another problem with it for the next 5 years I owned that 5th wheel.
    Was it because you were carrying that $6000 over that wheel?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression