User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium Batteries still smart idea if NOT boondocking or two 6 volts?

We've been enjoying our 2022 303RLS and have added a few mods, like Gen-Y goose neck and RV Lock for the door, now for the next upgrade:

I really like the idea of switching to a lithium battery, but, if I am NOT planning on boondocking, is it still a good idea to switch to Lithium (if money permits), or just do two 6 volts with more amps or stay with one?
    Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of things to consider here, Ray. We don't boondock, either, and opted for two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries for several reasons. Much more of a lithium battery's rated capacity can be used than is the case with lead-acid. The lithium batteries don't require periodic maintenance to check electrolyte, etc., and weigh less than half as much as L/A batteries. Lead-acid batteries discharge more quickly when not on a maintenance charger, too. On the downside: the LiFePO4 batteries have a higher up-front cost (but last a lot longer) and you'll need to switch out your converter/charger to one that has settings for lithium batteries (the OEM charger won't hurt a lithium battery - it just won't charge it all the way).

All that said, I am extremely happy we went with lithium.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's only money!
    Lithium's can give you double the capacity of 2 6v, which can give double the capacity of 1 12v. (I'm really playing fast and loose here, as it really depends on the specific brand and size of battery!).
    Lead/Acid batteries are comparatively very cheap, and care/feeding is very well established. Their life span can vary a lot, but generally 5-6 yrs seems to be average (but I have some still great after 12 years!). While all batteries can't give full capacity in very cold weather, LA's are still useable in bitterly cold weather (it was -20F here a few days ago, and my car was fine...)
    Lithium's need a very precise Battery Management System to regulate charging/use, but all reputable brands include that built in. Most can be hooked to your existing converter for charging, due the BMS, although many feel an upgrade to the converter should also be done (but verify with the company you buy from). While LA's might survive a brief instance of being totally discharged, Lithium's can be hurt very badly or ruined by being fully discharged even once. A good BMS will prevent that. Lithium's can be used in cold weather (below 32F), but they can be damaged by charging in cold weather! A good BMS will prevent the damage, but may mean no power when it is cold. Again, check with the vendor. Lithium's have the promise of being able to have a much greater life span than LA's - many have 10 year or more warranties.

All that aside, it comes down to - how much power without hookups, at what cost, do you want? If you are always plugging in, any battery will do just fine. Go cheap. If you think you only need lowish power usage off the grid for a night or two, once in a while, 2 12v or 2 6v will do fine. If you want longer, or want to use somewhat more than minimum power, then lithium's are a consideration. But they won't get you to the point of running your AC, Microwave, or hair dryers for 3 teenage girls - any of that would take multiples of the lithium's, and lots of solar or a generator.

Me? I think 2 6v are the sweet spot for cost, and being able to go two nights off grid - lights, minimal water pump use, fridge/hot water on gas, no heat use, no electric appliances, a couple of hours of TV each night...

A PS after Rob's response: He and I disagree about how fast LA's discharge when just sitting. They do, but in not extreme conditions, it is a pretty long time (several months or much longer depending on temp). But others feel they have to be baby sat over long periods of disuse. He is right in that lithium's hold their charge extremely well for very long times. They are significantly lighter, which may have bearing if you need to cut weight in the trailer OR feel you need to be one to take your batteries in and out for long term storage. LA's that are not sealed do have to be checked periodically for water levels, and lithium's can be ignored for that. LA's have to be properly vented, where lithium's do not. If the cost is not a big concern, it is nice to have the security of the big increase in capacity, if you ever need it.
    Last edited by sande005; 01-04-2022 at 11:06 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't boondock at all and are always plugged into power, LiFePO4 makes no sense. You will never use it's capabilities. Just keep using the cheap dealer supplied battery.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I get to remove a 60lbs battery near the tongue and replace it with a 30lbs battery that will be located over the axle. Being close to payload capacity, this will have a impact. Also, over the long run, 10yr ish, the lifepo4 will come in cheaper. If weight, space, AH and some light maintenance is not an issue, maybe sticking with a group 27 LA or dual 6v makes sense. We seldom boondock but on our last trip we had 1 night were we had to and that night fell below freezing where we needed the furnace. We were lucky to find a place to plug into a 15amp outlet just for the furnace.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 22MLE with the dealer supplied Lead Acid battery. Don't boondock much but would like to be able to go 2-3 nights with light electrical use in the future. It seems some of the National Parks only have dry camping so that may create a need.

I've just picked up an elusive WFCO 8735LIS to replace my factory converter. I'm thinking 200AH of battery should cover anything we might do near term. Am I better off getting one 200AH or 2 100AH batteries??? Also thinking a DC to DC charger for truck to camper battery charging while driving and maybe add a couple of solar panels down the road if needed. Any recommendations on Batteries and DC to DC charger???

Don
    Don

2021 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    We've been enjoying our 2022 303RLS and have added a few mods, like Gen-Y goose neck and RV Lock for the door, now for the next upgrade:

I really like the idea of switching to a lithium battery, but, if I am NOT planning on boondocking, is it still a good idea to switch to Lithium (if money permits), or just do two 6 volts with more amps or stay with one?
    Thanks
    I think a few folks already gave you good comments for pro and con regarding Lithium batteries.

I would think you have to ask yourself why you would spend the money. Weight savings? More power for a longer period of time? Space saving? Peer pressure? And I think you need to consider if you will be keeping your RV long enough that spending that money is worth it.

I'll be replacing about 400 amps of AGMs with 200 amps of Lithium in the next few months primarily for the weight savings. I don't boondock but do get caught once in a while having to dry camp for a day or two. If the 200 amps isn't enough then I'll just pull out one or two of my Honda 2000s to supplement power.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are lots of things to consider here, Ray. We don't boondock, either, and opted for two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries for several reasons. Much more of a lithium battery's rated capacity can be used than is the case with lead-acid. The lithium batteries don't require periodic maintenance to check electrolyte, etc., and weigh less than half as much as L/A batteries. Lead-acid batteries discharge more quickly when not on a maintenance charger, too. On the downside: the LiFePO4 batteries have a higher up-front cost (but last a lot longer) and you'll need to switch out your converter/charger to one that has settings for lithium batteries (the OEM charger won't hurt a lithium battery - it just won't charge it all the way).

All that said, I am extremely happy we went with lithium.

Rob
    I agree, Good advice.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donpworks View Post
    I have a 22MLE with the dealer supplied Lead Acid battery. Don't boondock much but would like to be able to go 2-3 nights with light electrical use in the future. It seems some of the National Parks only have dry camping so that may create a need.

I've just picked up an elusive WFCO 8735LIS to replace my factory converter. I'm thinking 200AH of battery should cover anything we might do near term. Am I better off getting one 200AH or 2 100AH batteries??? Also thinking a DC to DC charger for truck to camper battery charging while driving and maybe add a couple of solar panels down the road if needed. Any recommendations on Batteries and DC to DC charger???

Don
    Don:

I would be inclined to choose the single 200ah battery for two reasons. One, simplicity of installation, and two, the 200ah battery should not be much larger than the single 100ah Lithium battery, consequently, if you want to upgrade your battery in the future, you will have more space available because you installed the single battery and have more space for the second battery.

My only recommendation on the DC to DC charger (Converter) is Victron. Their equipment is top notch and they have the best selection of DC to DC Converters.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post

Thanks
    I truly believe that all RVs should come equipped with Lithium batteries and a Lithium Converter right from the factory.

Lithium batteries just solve so many issues that are created by Lead Acid batteries in RVs that it is just easier to have Lithium batteries powering your RV.

For example...

You can use 100% of your battery's capacity.

Lithium batteries maintain a higher voltage all through the discharge window, whereas, Lead Acid batteries continuously provide lower and lower voltage as they discharge.

Storing your RV is easier and you are less likely to return to a dead battery.

If you run your battery down to 0% charge you don't cause harm to your battery (internal BMS prevents damage to the battery).

Lithium batteries weigh less and are easier to handle if you need to move them.

There is no hazardous gases to be concerned about so they can be mounted inside the living area of the coach if necessary.

They can be mounted right-side up, sideways, or even upside down.

They are maintenance free and will last 10 years or longer.

Lithium batteries (LiFePo4) in an RV are truly the best combination for storing and using energy inside your coach. It's a great combination, like: Peanut Butter and Jelly!
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast