User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Hoopy makes a good point. Everyone has a different pain/stress point to address. Our situations are all different, thats what makes meeting people and discussing so interesting.
    Also cost me a armload of money with all of the ideas here.

Rob.
    Lol.....100%.....but it is fun to learn.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading all of the different opinions on batteries, their usage, optional equipment needed and so on. I've had this GD RV for 3 years now and can't say I've had any problems with my factory L.A. battery. The double fridge with it's 4 fans consume the most power from the battery (for us) when not plugged into shore power. I've had no problem making it the whole night on an occasional boondocking stop. With the fridge & water heater on propane, LED lights, the water pump, and limited furnace use the battery still only drops by 25-30% overnight. I too carry a Honda 2000W generator for emergency use and use it when needed. We'll be boondocking for 10 nights at the Daytona 500 next month and like we've done in the past the Honda generator will be hooked up to an extended run 6 gallon fuel tank and run for 4-6 hrs a day. That's plenty of time to replenish the battery to 100% and use it throughout the night. When the generator runs in the evening we'll usually get in some TV time, charge cellphones, and anything else we need the 120v power for. Last time we did this at Daytona 500 we were there for 14 nights and went through about 10-12 gallons of fuel... even ran the bedroom AC on 2 different occasions. For me and the way we use the RV the stock LA battery has been just fine.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 01-06-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    I love reading all of the different opinions on batteries, their usage, optional equipment needed and so on. I've had this GD RV for 3 years now and can't say I've had any problems with my factory L.A. battery. The double fridge with it's 4 fans consume the most power from the battery (for us) when not plugged into shore power. I've had no problem making it the whole night on an occasional boondocking stop. With the fridge & water heater on propane, LED lights, the water pump, and limited furnace use the battery still only drops by 25-30% overnight. I too carry a Honda 2000W generator for emergency use and use it when needed. We'll be boondocking for 10 nights at the Daytona 500 next month and like we've done in the past the Honda generator will be hooked up to an extended run 6 gallon fuel tank and run for 4-6 hrs a day. That's plenty of time to replenish the battery to 100% and use it throughout the night. When the generator runs in the evening we'll usually get in some TV time, charge cellphones, and anything else we need the 120v power for. Last time we did this at Daytona 500 we were there for 14 nights and went through about 10-12 gallons of fuel... even ran the bedroom AC on 2 different occasions. For me and the way we use the RV the stock LA battery has been just fine.
    Thanks Bill....I know what ya mean

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    You cannot get a LA battery back to 100% in a camping situation. You can get to 80% or so. After that it slows down dramactically as the battery will just not accept a faster charge. Getting a LA battery to full charge takes 24 to 40 hours of charging. So what happens is you will have a 100% battery for day one, and then 80% for each day after that. This is where Lithiums really shine, They accept a lot of charge current right up to 99% charge. In practice I have found it easy to get to 100% each day.

Now obviously, 80% has been working for you, and it does for many people... But if your needs ever get more demanding, now you know what is happening.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of good reasons for LiFePO4 batteries, I will become a customer this year, but the original question was if LiFePO4 was a good idea if you are always plugged in. And if you are always plugged in, the battery only needs to be good enough to activate the emergency brakes if needed or get you through a night if there is a very long power outage - which a 'cheapy cheapy' battery can do.
    If ya got the $$$ to spend, LiFePO4 is not a bad thing to add though. Then you need to buy a converter.....then you will think about an inverter....then you will think...hmmm...solar panels?...lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    You cannot get a LA battery back to 100% in a camping situation. You can get to 80% or so. After that it slows down dramactically as the battery will just not accept a faster charge. Getting a LA battery to full charge takes 24 to 40 hours of charging. So what happens is you will have a 100% battery for day one, and then 80% for each day after that. This is where Lithium really shines, They accept a lot of charge current right up to 99% charge. In practice I have found it easy to get to 100% each day.

Now obviously, 80% has been working for you, and it does for many people... But if your needs ever get more demanding, now you know what is happening.
    This is a very good point, a good solar charger such as Bogart Engineering has a fourth charge stage. That fourth stage will force the final stage & take the AGM or LA back to over 100% in the same day. Still it is a slow painful process & one of the reason I will be going Lithium this season. I'm in a location were sunshine is very limited in the off season so recovery time of batteries critical. The other factor is smoke, we went through an exceptionally bad fire season, that limits solar panel output.

The AGM batteries have served us well while learning how solar works & living with it. Very rare that I've needed to run a generator unless AC is needed.

When our 310 GK with the solar packages arrives I will have to hone in on which/what Lithium batteries. So far the only point of concern I have is the low temp charging, I will have to address that. First mod will be re wiring the micro wave to run on the inverter!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of questions.
    1) How does LifeBlue support compare to BattleBorn (which from what I've read on the forum is excellent)? Looks like comparable cost point between the two.
    2) For the LifeBlue, a quick read seems like they can be charged from a number of sources with existing inverters/chargers. In our case we have factory solar, factory generator, and inverter. Do the LifeBlue's eliminate the need for a Lithium charger (say the Progressive Dynamics I was looking at for BattleBorn)?
    3) For those with a 310GK, did you place the batteries in their up front compartment where the LAs were (I have factory solar and genny and looks like both battery boxes and inverter are in the usual place).

I foresee us spending some evenings off grid.

Thanks,
    John&Robin
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    ..... So far the only point of concern I have is the low temp charging, I will have to address that....
    Some do what seems to be silly - use the batteries to heat the batteries! But the economy way would be to relocate the batteries to a heated location - under the bed seems to be a favorite. Although I tend to trust in the safety record, it may be a a tall order to convince the other person using the bed that it is safe....

I have many small LiFE batteries, and all the manufactures advise to charge at the 1C rating. Some even advise to use a 2C (1C means use a rate that is the same as the full capacity. So supply 100 amps to a 100aH battery, which would fully charge from "dead" in about an hour) I find it odd that the ones for RV's seem to have the BMS greatly limit the max charge rate. Not that anyone would be expected to have the "infrastructure" to support pushing 100 amps to them.....but they are very capable of accepting very fast recharge rates, with no issues. Maybe a way to save cost/weight/size for the BMS and internal wiring?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    A couple of questions.
    1) How does LifeBlue support compare to BattleBorn (which from what I've read on the forum is excellent)? Looks like comparable cost point between the two.
    2) For the LifeBlue, a quick read seems like they can be charged from a number of sources with existing inverters/chargers. In our case we have factory solar, factory generator, and inverter. Do the LifeBlue's eliminate the need for a Lithium charger (say the Progressive Dynamics I was looking at for BattleBorn)?
    3) For those with a 310GK, did you place the batteries in their up front compartment where the LAs were (I have factory solar and genny and looks like both battery boxes and inverter are in the usual place).

I foresee us spending some evenings off grid.

Thanks,
    John&Robin
    I do not know anything about life blue... But if they are using the same Chemistry then, the charging will be the same.. And yes Battle Born is top notch.
    Back to the charger:
    You can certainly use the one you already have, it will not hurt a thing. But you will not be getting the full benefit of your new batteries.
    A new converter will be the cheapest part of the upgrade.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-07-2022 at 01:04 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    This is a very good point, a good solar charger such as Bogart Engineering has a fourth charge stage. That fourth stage will force the final stage & take the AGM or LA back to over 100% in the same day. Still it is a slow painful process & one of the reason I will be going Lithium this season. I'm in a location were sunshine is very limited in the off season so recovery time of batteries critical. The other factor is smoke, we went through an exceptionally bad fire season, that limits solar panel output.

The AGM batteries have served us well while learning how solar works & living with it. Very rare that I've needed to run a generator unless AC is needed.

When our 310 GK with the solar packages arrives I will have to hone in on which/what Lithium batteries. So far the only point of concern I have is the low temp charging, I will have to address that. First mod will be re wiring the micro wave to run on the inverter!
    Check out the space under the steps and behind the hutch. Behind the hutch is the spot I was originally going to mount my Inverter, this is also the spot the OEM mounted the Converter, so it was a simple matter of taking the Converter wires to the battery bus-bar to power the entire coach.

The only issue you would have with this simple installation is powering your emergency brakes (due to the OEM disconnect switch being turned off) an easy fix for this is to place a disconnect switch next to your new batteries and eliminate the OEM disconnect.

This solution also eliminates the issue with charging in the cold weather because everything is inside the heated hold. Just be certain your new Lithium batteries have protection from charging below 32 degrees because you will have Solar on your new coach.

PS: Congrats on your new 310 GK, we really love ours.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast