User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcschultz01 View Post
    Thanks. Same truck but mine is a 2018 RAM.
    So your 310GK is listed (in places) at 2350 hitch weight. If you are running 3300, roughly translating that to the 344 with a hitch weight of 2500 would be about 3500 lbs and the 2018 RAM is rated at 3780.

Any idea of your trailer weight loaded? Spec for the 310GK is GVWR 15000. The 344 is GVWR 16000 which is my concern.
    Waiting on delivery from dealer so it will be awhile to measure loaded. All I have so far is the hitch weight provided by GD empty (theoretically though they did tell me they weigh immediately after tank fill and sometimes the tanks are not completely empty). I checked the placards of about a dozen new 2021 and 2020 310s over almost two years with similar equipment and the UVW varied by up to 300 lbs which is why I called GD. They seemed to get heavier with each year. It was a look at late 2021 with an outdoor kitchen that really had me wondering. I don't think we will be close to GVWR as we are not full time and travel light. But I do think we will be close to payload max but I really won't know that until we load it up this spring.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Based on the forum feedback, I think the 344GK is too heavy for me. However I found a 2018 310GK that would be lighter and acceptable. I'll let you know.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have the trailer in your possession to take to the scales, always go with the GVWR. On front bedroom non-toy hauler fifth wheels, 23% of the trailer's GVWR is a good estimation of loaded pin weight. Our 310GK crosses the scales at a little over 15,000 lbs. with 3,380 lbs. on the pin. I would not pull it with a single rear wheel truck for stability and safety reasons. Here's a handy calculator to plug numbers into:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    ..... Our 310GK crosses the scales at a little over 15,000 lbs. with 3,380 lbs. on the pin. I would not pull it with a single rear wheel truck for stability and safety reasons.

Rob
    These are the exact reasons we went with the 2930RL S-Class. Anything higher in the Solitude line is more than I'd want to take on with SRW.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Unless you have the trailer in your possession to take to the scales, always go with the GVWR. On front bedroom non-toy hauler fifth wheels, 23% of the trailer's GVWR is a good estimation of loaded pin weight. Our 310GK crosses the scales at a little over 15,000 lbs. with 3,380 lbs. on the pin. I would not pull it with a single rear wheel truck for stability and safety reasons. Here's a handy calculator to plug numbers into:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Rob
    I'm sticking with the SRW for the first few trips and ultimately I'll decide if I need to upgrade.
    I'm open to a DRW if I am not comfortable with the SRW. One of the (not the only) reasons for ordering a 310 vs a 345 was to stick with the SRW, which at the time was my commuting vehicle - not now due to Covid and retirement.

I don't know what it is with the better half, but when I mention DRW, I get an immediate NO back - and this from someone who used to drive half-tracks. I couldn't even get her behind the wheel of my 1500, 2500, let alone the 3500 without anything behind.

With the 8K axles I asked to have the GVWR on the sticker bumped up to 18K but I don't think we will be near 15K or at 23%. Only scales will tell I guess.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    FWIW, those UVW numbers mean very little, as no one travels at those weights, the GVWR is going to be much closer to real life.
    I have seen this assumption before and I don't agree. Just DW and I and we are no where close the GVWR. We travel with about 750 lbs.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would definitely be in the minority, many people are surprised at how close they get to the GVWR. It's only when they weigh the trailer they discover their real weight. The triple axle trailers are about the only ones that don't have that issue.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    You would definitely be in the minority, many people are surprised at how close they get to the GVWR. It's only when they weigh the trailer they discover their real weight. The triple axle trailers are about the only ones that don't have that issue.
    To assume that I am "definitely in the minority" is simply not true. Many people are surprised how wrong the assumption they will be close to the GVWR is. My last 3 TTs (according to the CAT scales) have showed the same results, as do other campers I am familiar with.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is the Grand Design forum, I was, of course, referring to Grand Design models. They are very heavy and the carrying capacity goes away pretty fast. Other brands use lighter building materials, and indoor cabinetry and such. Grand Design models are heavy.

FWIW, there is a sticky thread that has actual weights posted and most of those weights are very close to GVWR, some over, and some less than 1,000 lbs. under. Like I said Grand Design 5th wheels are heavy.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 01-12-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are always exceptions.If you look at the stats you would find that most of the s-class Solitudes have very high cargo capacity. One of the reasons that people like them. The S-class 3540 for example dry weight is 12758,it's gvwr is 16800.That gives it a cargo capacity of 4000 #'s. Momentum type capacity's.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast