User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But don't forget "Dry Weight" means very little in real life. Once you start putting in batteries, propane tanks, a couple more air conditioners, maybe add some fresh water, and other items, that carrying capacity gets eaten up pretty quick.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 01-13-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True especially when the cc starts at only 2300#'s. When it starts with over 4000#'s it makes a big difference. If you have had your rig weighed look at yor dry weight and what your actual weight is. Do the math and that will tell you how much weight you are hauling. See how that would stack up too 4000#'s of cc.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dry weight on my 351M was listed as 13,600 lbs., and my actual weight ready to travel is 16,900 lbs. That's with absolutely no water on board: no gray, no black, no fresh. GVWR is 16,500 lbs.

Oops, sorry to contribute to thread drift. All this has not much to do with the OP's original post, so I'm done with topics that don't directly deal with the OP's post.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. You're right. I'm done too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    There are always exceptions.If you look at the stats you would find that most of the s-class Solitudes have very high cargo capacity. One of the reasons that people like them. The S-class 3540 for example dry weight is 12758,it's gvwr is 16800.That gives it a cargo capacity of 4000 #'s. Momentum type capacity's.
    Class that we are in. Traveling around we would see S-Class Solitudes now and then, but we just got to Galveston a couple days ago and there are 4 S-Class Solitudes right around us. For us full timing the CC of the S-Class is what we need. Last time we weighed - 15,500# on 16800# GVWR - 1300# under. Heavy on the Pin but under a 23% GVWR.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These threads never solve any thing. It`s usually someone looking for justification for towing overloaded or right at the max with a truck not adequate for the load and not telling you everything that will be in the truck/camper. Yeh never carry water....you will at some point, yeh had it weighted .....then you put more stuff in for this camping trip. Yeh just me and the wife .....until she wants to take the grandkids and all their stuff and their bikes hanging off the back. Then the out of state firewood on this trip.
    Like one said try telling the wife no to any of them or that and she will say "we spent $110,000 on this and we can`t blah, blah, blah". Or can you wait till the next rest stop it`s only 75 mile up the road, we didn`t bring any water....... the eye roll will be heard around the world. Remember those grandkids that have to go every 30 miles?
    Ask any manufacture of anything and tell them I`m going to run this at its maximum capacity for long periods of time and they will tell you ....don`t. I read somewhere that max ratings are for short periods of time under test conditions and the best for safe operation is no more than 80% of rated load. ally

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solitude 310GK with 2018 RAM 3500 with Aisin trasnmission.

Back to the original thread question, we ended up buying a used 2018 Solitude 310GK in South Dakota. Towed it home about 250 miles using the SRW 2018 Ram 3500 with Aisin transmission with a pretty stiff crosswind on I-90. The turbo diesel sounded/felt normal and was not contantly shifting to higher RPMs. It liked towing about 65-67MPH. At 70MPH, there was a noticeable decrease in mileage.

At normal truck height the truck did seem a little wobbly in the wind. Changing the rear air bags to towing height made towing much more stable I thought. I'll put our regular stuff on board and take it over to some truck scales and check the weight next week and let people know.

I also switched to a Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch. Turned out not to need it backing the trailer into our parking space but better prepared than not.
    The hitch is set 2" in front of the rear axle and at the lowest setting. Have 6.5 to 7" of clearance above the rails and the trailer is riding pretty flat.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truck scale results

Ongoing saga - I think I am OK for weight but maybe less margin than some people would like.

There is a truck scale nearby in Hudson WI and my wife loaded the trailer with "stuff" but no water, gray and black tanks (I never travel with water in the tanks).
    I also loaded the truck with "stuff" - specifically 5 gal diesel, 5 gal gas, Honda generator and Dewalt air compressor (blowing out the lines). I didn't load the dog :-)

Anyway I put together a spreadsheet for my setup. I maybe uploaded it bt also pasted it below though that math is not active.

Key points are that the 310Gk Solitude is coming in about 13100lbs. I know this is perhaps optimistic as we (my wife!) loads more stuff but...
    The GVWR is 22200lbs and the spec for GCWR is 25300.
    I have a RAM 3500 payload of 2660lb and the spec is 3920lb.
    I will be "lightening the load" by not taking the Dewalt air compressor, using my Viair to blow out the water lines, and whatever else I can remove from the trailer.
    I have three 12V batteries but at 50lb each, doesn't seem like that big of a deal and gives me 240AH of offgrid capacity.

truck (see below) w trailer attached and also loaded (4 batteries) Ram 3500 , AISIN 6 speed, 6.7L turbo diesel
    steer axle 5180 lb
    drive axle 6580 lb with 5th wheel load on axle
    trailer axle 10440 lb So trailer weight IS 13100 =trailer axle + ram load GCWR 25300 3100 to spare
    GVWR 22200 lb 88%
    truck w diesel, gas, generator, air compressor (no water)
    steer axle 5200 lb GVWR 11700
    drive axle 3920 lb 2660 lb Ram LOAD RAM payload 6'4” box 3920
    trailer axle NA
    GVWR 9120 lb

And I must say the TA station in Hudson WI was VERY accomodating to weight me twice. First measurement was $12.50, additional was $3 if within 24 hours and you get steer, drive, trailer and GVWR. Busy place in the morning but semi's know what they are doing and don't take long.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
    BTW, I drove this in the loaded configuration about 100 miles (snow covered for 50 miles) and the truck and trailer behaved themselves nicely. I had the RAM 3500 in TOW mode which lowers the hitch.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand what you are going through. Use case is important and everyone's is probably unique. Ours is a vehicle to go visit and tour the country instead of flying over it. The SRW we have is what we have. No grand kids (yet), no kids coming with us, no bikes, and the dogs are staying home. I've weighed the truck loaded and the options that were installed (bought it off the lot 2 years ago) took more off the payload than I would have liked so payload was really my only concern. I do see 2 potential upgrades - factory tires I do not like and an aux or larger fuel tank because plotting first 4K trip, 32 gal is just not enough.

We pick up the 310 early April. It has an 18K GVWR (8K axles and we had the choice of 18K or 15k on the placard) which we will never get close to. We ordered the 310 with a lot of options so it isn't light to start with. Still, don't see us putting in 2k lbs to get to 15K let alone 18K.

We will be doing month long trips and unlike most others, I have usually started with a full fresh water tank in the TT and will probably start out the same with the 310. We're paper plate people and having flown extensively, pack an overhead with a weeks worth of clothes so we travel light. Our biggest problem is NOT buying everything on the way and coming back with far more than we left with.

First trips will be local but loaded up for a month trip and I'll be on the CAT scales with it.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your front axle (5280) and rear axle (6580) added together is 11760 pounds. You stated that your GVWR for the truck is 11700 so you over by 60 pounds with that weighing.

Here is a really easy to check you math and weights. http://towingplanner.com
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast