User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking Hydraulic Fitting

There is a slow leak from this fitting on the Up side of the hydraulic pump that I attempted to fix the other day. I thought I may be able to retract the feet and loosen the fitting, re-wrap it with some teflon tape and be done with it. However, I found once I tried to loosen the fitting, it just spun and started leaking more. Looking closer at it, the joint the leak is coming from is similar to the one circled. Realizing I should immediately stop what I was doing, I leveled the camper back up and the leak just about ceased.
    So that being said, how much of a hassle is this going to be and how should I go about it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	38428
    2014 F-350 Platinum SRW
    2021 Solitude 378-MBS-R

"Keep not standing fixed and rooted. Briskly venture, briskly roam."

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a swivel fitting. Where is the leak occurring? A fitting like that will not require teflon tape since the sealing is done at the meeting of the flared parts, not the threads.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh okay. The capped off fitting is the one leaking, but it's coming from a spot similar to the one I had circled. It appears to consist of 3 pieces joined together, one of which is the swivel fitting you mentioned. I assume something of that nature would have to be removed and taken to a shop for repair?
    2014 F-350 Platinum SRW
    2021 Solitude 378-MBS-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the piece you circled, the larger nut is what tightens down. The smaller nut on the hose simply swivels when the larger nut is tightened. That keeps the hose from being stressed and twisted. The quick disconnect that protrudes up has a nut near the threads that should be snug to tight. It may be loose, and just snugging it up will do the trick. But if the leak is coming from between the two nuts, the the fitting should be replaced. No repair, just replace. Is that fitting being used?
    Howard and Peggy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, it's between the two nuts. When I had attempted to tighten the fitting, the entire joint began rotating and the leak worsened. My concern is if I remove that whole stubbed out section to replace or repair the swivel joint, will there be pressure on that side?
    2014 F-350 Platinum SRW
    2021 Solitude 378-MBS-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would depend on where that hose goes that you have circled. If that hose has pressure then the fitting going up will too. I can't say for anything sure about that quick disconnect fitting without actually seeing how the fitting is assembled. But those are common hydraulic fittings and you should be able to find replacements. But without a picture I can't say for sure how it comes apart.

One of the things to remember when assembling these fittings, they don't have to be super tight. Too tight will distort the fit.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF your leak is at the fitting to the left of the hose fitting circled that is one of two pressure test port QD fittings.. you can remove and replace the entire fitting with the understanding you will need a bucket underneath to catch the fluid that leaks out.. There is also static hydraulic pressure on that test point cap fitting so be aware..

If however the JIC37 fitting is leaking on that line the entire line with new JIC37 fittings will need replacing.. No tap=e of any kind on these threads

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    IF your leak is at the fitting to the left of the hose fitting circled that is one of two pressure test port QD fittings.. you can remove and replace the entire fitting with the understanding you will need a bucket underneath to catch the fluid that leaks out.. There is also static hydraulic pressure on that test point cap fitting so be aware..

If however the JIC37 fitting is leaking on that line the entire line with new JIC37 fittings will need replacing.. No tap=e of any kind on these threads
    Okay that makes sense it's a port. I took a better picture of it indicating where the leak is as I noticed that its much worse when I'm rolling the slides out so I need to address it soon. Not that I've had much time lately to do anything, but I do need it rectified.
    It looks to me that I could remove the end cap and place it on the T fitting coming off the pump so I can remove the portion that's leaking. That point in particular seems to be a swivel joint. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220314_131317.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	39411

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    2014 F-350 Platinum SRW
    2021 Solitude 378-MBS-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would remove the QD fitting and union and put a JIC37 female cap in place and not worry anymore.. The QD fittings ( there are two) are for pressure testing of the extend and retract sides of the system.. you will never use these..

And most RV repair centers won't either because they don't have a clue

That cap is 1/4inch and should be able to get this at most any NAPA autp parts store or farm tractor type store...

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...emale-cap.html

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, that's fantastic, thank you.
    We've had our camper about 8 months and life has been crazy chaotic, making time available for addressing problems tremendously sparse. So seeing the simplicity of this one is wonderful news!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    2014 F-350 Platinum SRW
    2021 Solitude 378-MBS-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast