Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Dawson Creek and I have travelled all the routes and a couple more that you have mentioned. My least favorite is the Hwy 40 through Grande Cache. I have been caught several times in snow storms in May, severe Hail storm in August and a couple of other events that wasn't fun. So for that reason I don't go that way anymore. Your right that going up through Edmonton is quicker and more direct but it isn't as scenic. Going from Calgary, you can go a couple of very scenic ways through the lower part of the Province in Alberta and BC. Waterton park is part of the beautiful Glacier National park that is shared with Montana. Then go up through Cranbrook BC on to Radium Hot Springs and over to Lake Louise. This is part of the Banff National park system. From there you can go up through the Columbia Ice fields and into Jasper National Park. These are probably some of the most scenic areas in North America. From Jasper, to over to Prince George BC then on to Dawson Creek. There is a nice provincial park north of Prince George called Crooked River provincial park. The way I have described from Calgary is going to be very hilly, You are in the Rocky mountains and basically following them up to Jasper. With your rig, you will have no problems at all. There are lots of camping areas. Contact tourism BC, also go to the site, https://www.travel-british-columbia.com/, for more info. There is also a second route you can come back on to see more beautiful country and great camping. this is the Stewart Cassiar Hwy #37 down to Hwy 16 then east back to Prince George. Depending how long you like to travel in a day, you will need to set aside 6 weeks minimum to truly experience this trip. Then, Alaska is a whole other story! Good luck, I hope I haven't bored you with my quick roadside trip. Ha. Canada is a very friendly country and we love our tourists, so don't think you will be in the frontier wilderness. Take care.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brifly007 View Post
    I lived in Dawson Creek and I have travelled all the routes and a couple more that you have mentioned. My least favorite is the Hwy 40 through Grande Cache. I have been caught several times in snow storms in May, severe Hail storm in August and a couple of other events that wasn't fun. So for that reason I don't go that way anymore. Your right that going up through Edmonton is quicker and more direct but it isn't as scenic. Going from Calgary, you can go a couple of very scenic ways through the lower part of the Province in Alberta and BC. Waterton park is part of the beautiful Glacier National park that is shared with Montana. Then go up through Cranbrook BC on to Radium Hot Springs and over to Lake Louise. This is part of the Banff National park system. From there you can go up through the Columbia Ice fields and into Jasper National Park. These are probably some of the most scenic areas in North America. From Jasper, to over to Prince George BC then on to Dawson Creek. There is a nice provincial park north of Prince George called Crooked River provincial park. The way I have described from Calgary is going to be very hilly, You are in the Rocky mountains and basically following them up to Jasper. With your rig, you will have no problems at all. There are lots of camping areas. Contact tourism BC, also go to the site, https://www.travel-british-columbia.com/, for more info. There is also a second route you can come back on to see more beautiful country and great camping. this is the Stewart Cassiar Hwy #37 down to Hwy 16 then east back to Prince George. Depending how long you like to travel in a day, you will need to set aside 6 weeks minimum to truly experience this trip. Then, Alaska is a whole other story! Good luck, I hope I haven't bored you with my quick roadside trip. Ha. Canada is a very friendly country and we love our tourists, so don't think you will be in the frontier wilderness. Take care.
    He’d have to backtrack about 300 km to get to Waterton from Calgary, best to stay on the #1 to LL. While Waterton/Glacier park is very beautiful it’s not rv friendly,most roads have length restrictions.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    He’d have to backtrack about 300 km to get to Waterton from Calgary, best to stay on the #1 to LL. While Waterton/Glacier park is very beautiful it’s not rv friendly,most roads have length restrictions.
    Good point! I was throwing out a few different routes to go. I've done Waterton and didn't have a problem, but i have a 240RL. take care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make online reservations at most British Columbia Provincial parks, as well as private campgrounds, before you go.
    In 2018 we did the AlCan roadtrip from WA to Fairbanks/Anchorage/Nome in my wife's Odyssey, had 4 tent camping reservations, sold/refunded 3 due to weather forecast. I want to do the trip again, but with an RV so we can go at a more leisurely pace. I'm very leery of pulling the Imagine 2500, would rather have a light truck camper. After you get back, I'd like to hear your thoughts on taking a TT.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    OP, about how long are you planning for this trip, round trip?
    I am currently planning a month, starting the first part of July after I get the first hay cutting up. However being retired, I can be flexible.

The the others responding I want to smell the roses, either going up or coming back, including a few side trips to the coast where possibly. I want to do some Halibut fishing and munch on crab (King and Dungeness) along with clams and mussels. Backtracking to see something special is OK.

Thanks for all the help.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for this information.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good point! I was throwing out a few different routes to go. I've done Waterton and didn't have a problem, but i have a 240RL. take care.
    MY 220RK is about 3' shorter than the 240RL, @Bungy do you happen to know the restrictions?
    Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    If I cross the border using 93 near Eureka I don't backtrack - Correct?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    MY 220RK is about 3' shorter than the 240RL, @Bungy do you happen to know the restrictions?
    Thanks
    Don’t know offhand, google Going To The Sun road. A LB pickup is almost too long!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    If I cross the border using 93 near Eureka I don't backtrack - Correct?

You’d have to go east thru Cranbrook 500 k?, then backtrack west again to Cranbrook. If I was you I’d forget about Waterton, other than the Prince of Wales hotel, there’s not much there, Banff and Jasper are much better. You could go east on #3 to Pincher Creek, south to Waterton then back north on #2 to Calgary then west on #1 to Banff and Lake Louise, a lot of fooling around if you ask me.
    Last edited by Bungy; 01-13-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast