Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question 1st leg of Alaska trip Durango CO to Dawson Cr BC

I am looking at going up to I15 and then north crossing border at Coutts/Milk River area, then north to Calgary using route 4 and 2. From that point I have two directions I could go.

1st option. Head north to Edmonton on 2 then west on 16 and catch 43 north to Grande Prairie and then on to Dawson Cr. Looks to be the most direct and fastest

OR
    2nd option. At Calgary head west on 1 which joins 93 north at Lake Louise then continue north on 93 to Jasper. At Jasper take 16 NW over to Prince George then 97 to Dawson CR.

There is a 3rd option. At Jasper go north on 16 to Hilton then take 40 to Grande Prairie. However 40 looks to be a long lonely secondary road with one town Grande Cache, Upside - looks to be a lot of camping along the way

Time is not critical. I will be towing my Reflection 220RK 5th wheel (27') with my new to come 2022 F350 6.7 diesel. I am used to mountains roads.

Thanks for any thoughts
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I am looking at going up to I15 and then north crossing border at Coutts/Milk River area, then north to Calgary using route 4 and 2. From that point I have two directions I could go.

1st option. Head north to Edmonton on 2 then west on 16 and catch 43 north to Grande Prairie and then on to Dawson Cr. Looks to be the most direct and fastest

OR
    2nd option. At Calgary head west on 1 which joins 93 north at Lake Louise then continue north on 93 to Jasper. At Jasper take 16 NW over to Prince George then 97 to Dawson CR.

There is a 3rd option. At Jasper go north on 16 to Hilton then take 40 to Grande Prairie. However 40 looks to be a long lonely secondary road with one town Grande Cache, Upside - looks to be a lot of camping along the way

Time is not critical. I will be towing my Reflection 220RK 5th wheel (27') with my new to come 2022 F350 6.7 diesel. I am used to mountains roads.

Thanks for any thoughts
    We went up 40 from Hinton to Grand Prairie. It's a nice drive, just be aware of the signs/flags for frost heaves in the road.

We stayed at a KOA in Hinton that was very convenient. Didn't stay in Grande Prairie, but stopped for a while there.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OR

Thanks for any thoughts
    Option 1: Fastest and easiest, all four lane divided highway to Grande Prairie.
    Option 2: Narrow winding mountain road from Lake Louise to Jasper. Bumper to bumper traffic in the summer, closed in winter. You’d also have to buy a National Parks pass. Bonus is you go right by the Columbia ice fields, could stop and take a tour on the glacier.
    Option 3: Its a gross understatement to say the road from Hinton to Grande Prairie is lonely! Absolutely nothing but small town of Grande Cache, lots of heavy commercial traffic too. Camping would be strictly boondocking, no services.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Option 1: Fastest and easiest, all four lane divided highway to Grande Prairie.
    Option 2: Narrow winding mountain road from Lake Louise to Jasper. Bumper to bumper traffic in the summer, closed in winter. You’d also have to buy a National Parks pass. Bonus is you go right by the Columbia ice fields, could stop and take a tour on the glacier.
    Option 3: Its a gross understatement to say the road from Hinton to Grande Prairie is lonely! Absolutely nothing but small town of Grande Cache, lots of heavy commercial traffic too. Camping would be strictly boondocking, no services.
    Thanks so much for the information. I am set up for boondocking so that's not a problem. How much is the National Parks Pass and can I get it online ahead of time or is it just as easy at the park entrance?

Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your route depends entirely on what time of year you plan to make this trip and whether you plan on racing through Canada to get to Alaska or whether you want to take your time and stop and smell the roses. The quickest and least scenic of your options would be #2 north to Edmonton and then west on #16 and eventually north from there. The other 2 options take you through the mountains and National Parks. Agree they can be pretty congested in the summer months and not something you want to do in the winter months but I doubt you'll ever regret the scenic beauty. Contact the Provincial Government Tourism Offices to get a better idea of points of interest, historical stops, etc. Not sure what the NP Pass cost is but you won't have to mortgage the ranch to pay for it. Check out the Parks Canada website for details. I believe you can order online and ahead of time.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2018 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4

"The simplest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the information. I am set up for boondocking so that's not a problem. How much is the National Parks Pass and can I get it online ahead of time or is it just as easy at the park entrance?

Thanks
    I’ve never taken the trailer on that road but we do it 2-3 times a year on the motorcycle, 10 bucks a head!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, about how long are you planning for this trip, round trip?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In '19 we did option #1 on the way to Alaska and option #2 on the way home. While it was all gorgeous IMO Rt93 between Jasper & Banff brought scenery up to a whole nother level. Local traffic in Calgary, Edmonston, Jasper & Banff can be challenging but not too bad other than that. Roads weren't bad and the federal park admission wasn't a biggy.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Park entrance passes are bought at a toll booth when you enter the park boundaries.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    OP, about how long are you planning for this trip, round trip?
    Or better yet, for those who have made this trip;
    How many weeks is a good average to enjoy such a trip without rushing to and fro?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast