Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rookie battery cable reconnect questions

I have searched and read posts in the forum for the last half hour or so (grabbed lots of good notes for other things!) but didn't see this addressed. Probably because it's too simple of a topic.

I pulled both batteries out of our brand new 2022 260RD to bring them home so I could charge them. Both batteries were completely dead after the trailer was in off-site storage for only one week after purchasing the trailer. There are a variety of very reasonable causes, and the cause is not what I'm seeking in this post.

The solar is all OEM- Furrion net-zero MPPT Solar Charger Controller connected to 1 165W solar panel.

I'm a rookie when it comes to electrical currents and batteries - my old fiver only had 1 battery and no solar, so yanking the battery was a simple task - but now I have 2 batteries and a solar charger.

Does it matter in what sequence I reconnect all of the wires to the two batteries when I re-install them?? Besides the pictures I took (see below) I also drew a detailed map of what wire goes where. So, I'm confident I know what wire goes where (unless they were wired incorrectly from the dealer,) I'm just concerned that somehow connecting them in the wrong sequence will cause a problem with the battery and/or the solar charger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211228_131345.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	38436 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211228_131409.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	38437 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211228_132741.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	38438

Bonus points if anyone has a reasonable explanation as to why the dealer installed one battery in an enclosed and vented battery box, and one not. I loved the salesman's answer - "Because batteries are required to be vented." To which I replied "well, then why is one of them not vented?" Crickets...

Thanks!
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmullin View Post
    I have searched and read posts in the forum for the last half hour or so (grabbed lots of good notes for other things!) but didn't see this addressed. Probably because it's too simple of a topic.

I pulled both batteries out of our brand new 2022 260RD to bring them home so I could charge them. Both batteries were completely dead after the trailer was in off-site storage for only one week after purchasing the trailer. There are a variety of very reasonable causes, and the cause is not what I'm seeking in this post.

The solar is all OEM- Furrion net-zero MPPT Solar Charger Controller connected to 1 165W solar panel.

I'm a rookie when it comes to electrical currents and batteries - my old fiver only had 1 battery and no solar, so yanking the battery was a simple task - but now I have 2 batteries and a solar charger.

Does it matter in what sequence I reconnect all of the wires to the two batteries when I re-install them?? Besides the pictures I took (see below) I also drew a detailed map of what wire goes where. So, I'm confident I know what wire goes where (unless they were wired incorrectly from the dealer,) I'm just concerned that somehow connecting them in the wrong sequence will cause a problem with the battery and/or the solar charger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211228_131345.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	38436 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211228_131409.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	38437 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211228_132741.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	38438

Bonus points if anyone has a reasonable explanation as to why the dealer installed one battery in an enclosed and vented battery box, and one not. I loved the salesman's answer - "Because batteries are required to be vented." To which I replied "well, then why is one of them not vented?" Crickets...

Thanks!

When dealing with batteries ALWAYS disconnect the Negative battery terminal FIRST and when reconnecting them always do the Negative battery terminal LAST.
    The negative cable connection is your reference to ground so if you remove it first then there is no chance of shorting the positive cable while removing it.

As for the batteries being vented if they are Lead Acid batteries then YES the both need to be vented... other batteries I don't believe have to be vented.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar