User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there an easy exterior fan upgrade for Norcold 2118???

I finally got to FL with our new Solitude and am not happy with the fridge temps in our Norcold 2118.

Set at 10 it will not maintain fridge temps below 40 when the sun is hitting the sidewall.

So I have read with great interest all of the posts about adding fans etc. They all seem to require rewiring etc...and I would prefer not to do that.

So my question....are there any fan upgrades that will plug and play right into the existing system in the 2118...using the existing thermostat and wiring?

I also am considering the muddy paws hack....any experience with that.

Thanks in advance.

Celt

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Muddy Paws"?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a fan to exhaust from the top vent is most efficient. Take out the vent cover and find a 120V fan that best fits and that you can secure and plug it in. Won't weather the Florida storms, but will help the unit cool down.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Using a fan to exhaust from the top vent is most efficient. Take out the vent cover and find a 120V fan that best fits and that you can secure and plug it in. Won't weather the Florida storms, but will help the unit cool down.
    Thanks...I found two nice little 12 volt kits on Amazon. One is Titan and the other a Beech Lane. Both are waterproof and come with their own thermostats and controllers. The beech Lane is designed to fit US style fridge sidewall vent covers. The Titan needs a little modification.

Looks like they move a lot of air!

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Thanks...I found two nice little 12 volt kits on Amazon. One is Titan and the other a Beech Lane. Both are waterproof and come with their own thermostats and controllers. The beech Lane is designed to fit US style fridge sidewall vent covers. The Titan needs a little modification.

Looks like they move a lot of air!

Nice! I actually had a pair of electric fans left in the parts pile from various hot rod projects. I made a shroud that pops into the opening to fit them and put a rheostat on them to control speed. We try to keep the fridge side in shade or morning sun so only had to pop them in a couple times. We also pack the fridge with thermal sinks (cold adult beverages for instance) so that there's not a lot of space and help keep the cold through the fridge defrost cycle. I will also cancel out the cycle when we're in certain circumstances so cooling back down is not a struggle.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a Titan installed in our Imagine. I created a duct from corrugated plastic to help prevent recirculation. The controller is mounted in the lower bay so easy enough to get to. This setup moved a LOT more air than the single 92mm fan that came stock.

The piece of luan used to create a "stack effect" was simply laying in the opening. The staples used to attach it were pulled out. I grooved some small trim to create a frame for the luan and screwed that trim to secure it to the bay. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210814_162233591.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	38502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210814_160824602.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	38503

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    Here is a Titan installed in our Imagine. I created a duct from corrugated plastic to help prevent recirculation. The controller is mounted in the lower bay so easy enough to get to. This setup moved a LOT more air than the single 92mm fan that came stock.

The piece of luan used to create a "stack effect" was simply laying in the opening. The staples used to attach it were pulled out. I grooved some small trim to create a frame for the luan and screwed that trim to secure it to the bay. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210814_162233591.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	38502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210814_160824602.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	38503

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I installed the Beechcraft version yesterday. Nice product and a direct fit on US RV style grilles.
    It moves a bunch of air and I suspect it will help. Have you seen the sunshades they use in Australia? That's the ultimate fix for full sun!

https://www.campsmart.net.au/fridge-...ith-sail-track

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I installed the Beechcraft version yesterday. Nice product and a direct fit on US RV style grilles.
    It moves a bunch of air and I suspect it will help. Have you seen the sunshades they use in Australia? That's the ultimate fix for full sun!

https://www.campsmart.net.au/fridge-...ith-sail-track

Head to some of the SW Texas CGs in summer and you will see a lot of folks with fridge screens. Easy DIY with an awning track and some shade screen and grommets or tarp tie-dowm clamps.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Head to some of the SW Texas CGs in summer and you will see a lot of folks with fridge screens. Easy DIY with an awning track and some shade screen and grommets or tarp tie-dowm clamps.
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Fans installed Friday and I've turned the fridge down to 8 from 9. Big difference. Full sun on the fridge side in FL. Not bad for a quick project! I just might make one of those shades for real hot weather. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220115-145501.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	38530

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Head to some of the SW Texas CGs in summer and you will see a lot of folks with fridge screens. Easy DIY with an awning track and some shade screen and grommets or tarp tie-down clamps.
    Ditto on the shade over the fridge area. Have been doing it for years. The temperature of the side of the rig drops 20+ degrees where the shade is. I also installed a 12V squirrel cage fan inside the fridge at the bottom. Haven't had any issues with temps since. Recirculation of the air inside the fridge is as important as anything else.
    Tim and Julie
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2010 Ram 3500 SRW
    Home base Southern Utah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast