Thread: 30 Amp Power

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 Amp Power

Hey all,

We are new owners of a used 2019 344GK. We are looking at campsites to use as a home base near our house in NE Ohio. Some of these have 50amp hookup but the cost for these are $1k+ More per year due to being nicer/newer parks with excessive facilities that we have no desire to use.

We have found a couple older camps that will easily meet our desires but they only have 30amp hook up.

What limitations are we going to run into from only having 30 Amp…

- Will this run both AC’s? - 15k each
    - Will other appliances be able to be used at same time as AC? - Micro, fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, curling iron, etc
    - Interior/exterior lighting and entertainment items?
    - Fireplace heater on cooler mornings/evenings?

I figure some of this could be a learn what works together but don’t wanna burn something up in the process of trial & error

Thanks,
    Matt & Casie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 ACs will be marginal, if you add soft starts to them you will probably be ok

In general on 30A plan on any 2 of the high draw items being able to run at a time. All the items in your list are high draw except for the lighting / entertainment items.

With 50A you would need to work at it to overload the supply as it is really 50A times 2 so a little over 3 time a 30A source
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 2 15,000 BTU AC will be too much for 30 amp connection.
    With 1 AC running, you'll be very limited as far as high draw items like microwave, hair dryer, etc.
    With 1 AC running, you should be fine as far as entertainment and lighting, especially if the lighting is LED's.
    Fireplace/heater shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't try to run too many of the other high draw items.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The benefit of the place with the 50A power is that it is newer, which MAY mean the park is setup for a higher load. My experience with some older 30A only parks is that they arent setup for the full load that people put on the electric service (not talking about individual RVs, but the aggregate of all RVs). Obviously you wont know until you try it or talk to other people that have been there for awhile and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marginal at best.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend using 30A for your 50A trailer for extended periods. You could get away with it for a weekend with 1 A/C unit and watching your consumption on other devices, but that will get old really fast.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It depends....
    Mostly on the wattage of the other high draw devices. A higher wattage micro, res. fridge, use of second A/C, etc. may/will tip the balance.
    My Imagine is setup for 50amp, but we never installed the 2nd AC. Even when we have a choice, I never haul out the monster 50amp cord, and instead use the 30amp we had from our old trailer. Never an issue running everything at once (well, I don't run the AC when using the fireplace/space heater!). Water heater, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, heat/cold all play well together and have never tripped a breaker....
    Campground overuse results in voltage drop, so would still be a problem when on 50 amp.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for input. Will post an update on our experience mid-April after a few weeks plugged in.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

We chose on of the older camp grounds to park RV for the year. Haven’t really used much at all because spring hasn’t actually fully sprung in NE Ohio.

Park owner has been working on entire electrical setup over the last year or so. Many new poles and overhead power lines. He hadn’t got around to updating all individual sites to 50amp due to major cost incurred on the main lines.

He does have an electrician that has been completing all the work and allowed me to pay him directly to update our site or it probably would have been next year at earliest.

20’ of cable to the overhead line, new box and 50amp plug - $300 well spent IMO