User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303 RLS Over Bed Cabinet Removal

The day after I brought my new 303 home, I removed the shelf above the bed at my wife's request. This was a compromise, because what she really wanted was the removal of the cabinets above the bed as well. She loves to sit up in bed at night reading or looking with her phone. Getting rid of the shelf made it possible to mostly sit up straight, but it was far from ideal. We bought a new (much taller) residential mattress and moved it into the trailer today. Her first reaction was, "I don't think I can sit up in bed now". I asked her if she had a couple free hours to help me with a project and she was all in. After three years, she finally has her wish.

Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	38463

After:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220110_200653.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	38464

What a difference. Yes, we did lose a little storage, but those cabinets are not vey large or practical. It looks much more open and spacious. Most importantly, happy wife, happy life.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have to finish anything off or was it just a removal? It looks really good and factory done, not like it was modified at all.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    Did you have to finish anything off or was it just a removal? It looks really good and factory done, not like it was modified at all.
    I used some of the trim pieces from the cabinets to cover up the damage left behind by the removal. There were two lines of screw holes left on the front cap and a 3/4" hole where the electrical wiring was pulled through. There were a few screw holes and scratches on the sides as well, but we simply touched those up with a furniture pen. From the foot of the bed, it looks perfect. If you didn't know it had been modified, you would have no idea it had been modified. I was very surprised how good it looked when we were done. I anticipated more touch up to get it to a point where I was satisfied.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JeffD68 - nicely done and a good look ! Thanks, for sharing.

Some folks have shared over the years where they have removed the shelf. Yours is the first cabinet removal as I recall.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! I too removed the shelf so I could sit up in bed. If I were 1/2" taller I would have removed the cabinets.