User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5r to a TT ?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to park it in one spot and not travel with it....then TT is the way to go.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As happened to me....

If your 5er has to be replaced...
    and all possible new similar sized (even the current model of the version you are replacing) have gained weight to put you well over payload...
    and the only used of what you had (in the country) is 2,000 miles away and been heavily seasoned with cig smoke....
    and there was just no way trading up to a bigger truck was possible at the time.....
    and the insurance settlement and other funds available didn't cover the cost of a new 5er anyway....

That's 5 reasons....

While I still wish I had the old one, having almost 700 lbs of payload to spare and an open truck bed is kinda nice, especially with e-bikes!
    Last edited by sande005; 01-11-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You haven't really given enough information to answer your question in a truly meaningful way (like what size fiver and what size TT, etc.). In general, though, I can only give you one reason to switch to a TT from a fifth wheel: everything would be on the same level if you have mobility issues. Other than that, moving from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer is a step back - in my opinion, of course.

Rob
    Even that no longer a factor for 5ers with two level deck models...

All I can say is pick what best fits your style of camping now. The way we camp changes over the years changes and what was ideal 5 years ago may be miserable now. This being our first 5er having gone through all phases of camping without an RV at all, then pop-ups, a hybrid, several TTs of varying sizes and design, and now the 5er, I can say all were perfect for us at the time.
    Last edited by geotex1; 01-11-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveleo1 View Post
    Can anybody give me 5 good reasons to switch from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer?
    My main reason for a TT is, I use my PU for more than dragging a 5th wheel around. PIA to remove hitch when I need the bed of my truck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frees up the bed of the truck, and allows you to have a truck topper. I use my truck for so many other things and can't bare the thought of giving up my topper.
    Last edited by Timmer; 01-12-2022 at 06:05 AM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put all the towables into three categories: Campers, Travel Trailers, and Mobile Homes. I've done all three. I consider large trailers "mobile homes", and in that category, 5th wheel is hands down best choice. To me a "Travel Trailer" has these attributes: less than 30 feet long, less than 12 feet high, 30 amps service, can be occupied with slides in, & can operate off of on-board batteries for 24 hours without too much inconvenience.

The whole goal of a TT is to maximize the number of sites you can stay in and the number of places you can go. And then go! and go and go. We are typically only in one spot for a week or less. When I was staying places for 3 - 6 months at a time, a big 5th wheel was the best way to do it.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One major difference might be the lack of concern regarding bed height. Trucks are getting taller and many of those with 15" wheels on their 5th wheel are having a difficult time keeping the trailer level. Also the hitch itself. Keeping the bed free is definitely a plus, as well as not making the (infrequent) mistake of dropping the trailer on the bed rails.

Before having a 5th wheel I felt the hitching/un-hitching process would be quicker than a TT. I now feel there is no real difference.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveleo1 View Post
    Can anybody give me 5 good reasons to switch from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer?
    1. Cost!!!!
    2. Number of people in your party.
    3. More layout options
    4. More tow vehicle options. (Van, Excursion etc.) Related to number of people in party.
    5. Disabilities. Fewer stairs in (most times) and no stairs inside.
    6. Size. Shorter and lighter weight (when comparing similar models). This equals more accessibility.
    7. Easier to hear and cool. Fewer cubit feet equals less BTUs needed.

With the new hitches, disc brakes, suspension, hitches (like Anderson) it really comes down to preference. We tow a 36’ TT with a 2017 F350 Dually and an Equ-a-lizer hitch. All over built with 8,000 lb axles 16” 14ply tires. We don’t deal with sway. Maine to California, Rockies to the Plains. Dakota winds and Mississippi rain. No worries. Proper setup = great time and zero stress.
    Perkins Family
    2018 Reflection 308BHTS
    2017 F350 6.7L DRW 4x4 8' Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Height

Reasons listed are all good. Biggest I hear when talking to folks are price and freeing up the truck bed. My truck is a daily commuter and so didn't want an F450 or dully. So, lighter is better for me as well.

But for me, the real reason we bought the 315RLTS is because it's as big inside as a 5th wheel and I can stand up straight in the bedroom. At 6'5", I can't stand up in the upstairs areas of any of the 5W models we checked out.

Also the only reason I bought the F250 rather than the Chevy 2500 was leg room...

Everyone has their thing. You do you
    Gabby
    2021 315RLTS Hensley Arrow
    2021 F250 Crew Lariat GVWR 30k lbs
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB (totaled Mar ‘21)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and more!......

Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    You pretty much nailed it.
    Because its has less frontal square footage, fuel mileage is alittle better . In fuel efficiency, wind resistance is the #1 factor (less is better), directly proportional to the square of the velocity, and directly proportional to the frontal square area. Weight is a fuel efficiency factor, mainly in accelerations, and the climbs/descents don't average zero...braking occurring on most descents, and going faster increases resistance by the square.
    Because less weight per floor length favors TT's greatly, they are easier to stop...I I think the 5'er hitch requires alot more steel, with the funky frame angles going up to the hitch. In our floor plan, the weight difference was listed as 11,000 m versus about 16,000 (?? correction welcomed) for the comparable 5'er.
    TT with a hitch wgt about 500# less than comparable 5'ers Pin weight , so you can make do without a dually
    Shifting the heavy receiver OUT of the truck when you need the full bed for a load, from my, personal experience gets tedious real fast, especially when in a hurry.
    Equal time for "CONS"
    1) Less storage, but if you get a topper for your bed, then I think the TT then comes out the better
    2) It does make for a long rig. I'm near 60' with my long bed, so backup camera is a must, and you learn to plan your fuel stops well (space factors). For some, this IS a big deal. If I ever go fulltime RV, I'll get an aux tank to lose the fuel stops, so fillups could then occur unhitched after arrival.
    Wally & Jane Mann
    2016 313RLTS, Titan Disc brakes
    2016 Ram 3500 TD, 4x4 SRW, Crewcab, Longbed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast