User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Do You Sweep Your Slides with All That Solar Up There?

We camp at wooded state parks a lot and I’m meticulous about going up on the roof and sweeping all the leaves, sticks and pine needles off of our (opposing) slides before we pull them in for the travel day.

I’m working on a solar layout for our 2970RL, and in looking at the vast majority of solar installs on other RVs, it seems no one really cares about being able to walk on the roof edges and use a broom to sweep their slides, or even just being able to get around up there for inspections and seal touch up.

I know we could add more complexity by adding slide toppers, but I don’t want them (more weight, complexity and stuff to clean). I have a battery powered leaf blower, but stuff still wedges in the rubber seal and needs to be picked out by hand.

What am I missing? Still looks to me like most solar installs severely limit roof access. There just isn’t much room up there for solar if I allow space for me. Maybe I’m overthinking it. Perhaps a big ladder for reaching slides and gutters is part of every big solar install. No one talks about it in the leading YouTube vids or even in solar design books I’ve picked up.
    Jeff & Deborah - North Beach, MD
    2019 Grand Design 2970RL "Lucy", Hensley Arrow 14K, Goodyear Endurance Tires
    2019 Nissan Titan XD, 5.6 gas, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 bags

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd save yourself the grief and just get slide toppers. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would know what to do in your situation either.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Really Need Slide Out Toppers.

Quote Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
    I know we could add more complexity by adding slide toppers, but I don’t want them (more weight, complexity and stuff to clean).
    You will not like my answer then. For the last 16 years I have had a travel trailer with slide outs. I too camp in State Parks, here in N.C., in O.K., T.X., G.A., and throughout the Pine Tree ridden SE. However, I do have and always have had slide out toppers and have never had to sweep, or actually swept off, my slide outs on breaking camp. The roof self cleans at 65 MPH.
    IMO Slide out toppers are a must for multiple reasons, this is just one of many.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another answer you won't like... I've never had to clean the slide toppers. Everything just rolls off of them when retracted. Our previous fifth wheel didn't have slide toppers and I hated getting up there (or climb a ladder from the ground) to clean off the slides. We've not had any issues with the toppers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Early polls indicate a win for slide toppers. I may have to reconsider…

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next thing you know I’ll be asking for a recommendation on which one!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
    Hmmm. Early polls indicate a win for slide toppers. I may have to reconsider…
    I have them on our new unit, the first time we have had them. Overall I like them, lower heat transfer, a little quieter when raining, as mentioned not having to clean the slides off. The one down side I have experienced is flapping/noise in high winds. Not a common occurrence but very annoying when it happens. I haven't tried some of the common workarounds yet
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have solar but try not to climb on roof if possible to protect it. I use a step ladder and a extendable pole with a 12" wide soft head to clean it off. Same pole I use to wash it. I would like to add slide toppers one day.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I camp in the Southwest, I have only had to go on the roof once... And that was to remove the snow/ice when breaking camp.I did not like that one bit. From what I have seen and read, high winds are a problem with toppers. We tend to get that a lot.
    For myself, I see no need for toppers.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Battery powerd leaf blower here. Also it is great for blowing stuff off the rug in front and anything else around the unit.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast