User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with the furnace camping at a wide range of altitudes and temperatures

Hi all
    First post for me and this is the first RV for my wife and I. We just bought a Imagine 3100RD. We are moving into our RV to live full time. The RV is going to go back and forth between 10,000 ft and 6000 ft based on where our house is and where I work. We decided to test out the RV right away on our property which is at 10k ft and the furnace stopped staying lit after two days. I drove it back down to the dealership which is at 6k ft and they had no issue getting the furnace to perform properly. I was told by the tech at the dealership and our residential heating technician who also owns an RV that the furnace is likely not getting the correct pressure at this altitude. Has anybody else experienced this and if so does anybody have any ideas on how to compensate for the extreme altitude changes? Thanks in advance.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update-The tech found the the regulator was set a little low and has adjusted the pressure. I will picking up the RV sometime soon and we will see if the issue is resolved.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, please post back your experience

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news and bad news. Came out this morning first thing to test fire the furnace and had the same issue as before (furnace would fire and not stay lit). At that time it was 10 degrees out. I came back out a while later when it was almost 30 degrees out and tried again. The furnace sounded better (stayed lit longer for each attempt) and then finally stayed running. I'm wondering now if it is an issue with temperature and not altitude. I've done a bit of research on other forums and websites and what I'm seeing is issues with pressure. Some sources say it could be a bad mixture of propane and additives, others say improper purging of the cylinders when they were filled ie air or water in the tank and some issues with regulators or the wrong size orifice in the furnace. The regulator is new from the dealer and looks to be decent quality. I'm not ready to tear apart the furnace and change the orifice (that would have to be done by the dealer as I don't want to screw up my warranty). I'm waiting on a callback from the dealer to troubleshoot with them. Does anybody have any experience with this and have thoughts on things to try? I've also researched some heated pads for propane tanks but they are expensive and get mixed reviews on reliability. Thanks in advance for the input.
    Last edited by mountainrv; 01-13-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try draping an old sleeping bag over the tanks.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Okay, I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would that change?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that you are not about out of propane. If so the cold temp will not allow the little left to pressurize until it warms up. In cold weather I can only get 2 to 3 days on a 30lb tank of propane.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    What would that change?
    I have seen quite a few campers do it in really cold situations.... I tried it once when my heater acted up in cold temps, and it seemed to help. I think it must keep the regulator a few degrees warmer. IDK, but it can't hurt to try it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with the furnace camping at a wide range of altitudes and temperatures

I have seen quite a few campers do it in really cold situations.... I tried it once when my heater acted up in cold temps, and it seemed to help. I think it must keep the regulator a few degrees warmer. IDK, but it can't hurt to try it.
    Great explanation. Part of the energy lost with the propane under pressure is heat. If you feel the tanks when you have stuff running, the tanks will be cold. In very cold weather, there may be enough heat loss to prevent the propane from going through the regulator. Blankets could make the difference.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast