User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Customer-Placed Trailer Camera

I ordered the new truck with a Customer-Placed Trailer Camera. Has anyone installed one of these on a Grand Design? I have a Momentum 351MS on order and would like to be able to use that camera for backing. I plan on getting the 7" Furrion Vision S 4-Camera System with LED Marker Lights but would like to have both.

Thanks
    -B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I ordered the new truck with a Customer-Placed Trailer Camera. Has anyone installed one of these on a Grand Design? I have a Momentum 351MS on order and would like to be able to use that camera for backing. I plan on getting the 7" Furrion Vision S 4-Camera System with LED Marker Lights but would like to have both.

Thanks
    -B
    I believe the Ford camera is still a hard wired unit (it is on my 2017 F-350). If so, by far the hardest part of the install is running the wires. Some people run the wires under the trailer or over the roof or inside the coroplast. I ran it through the roof in my Solitude 310GK, but it took me two solid days of fishing to get it from the basement to the rear mount. The Furion mount supplied by Grand Design (which I did not use) only has power and you will need shielded video wires.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    -B
    My F-250 came with the camera system. After a lot of thinking I determined it was more trouble than it was worth installing the trailer camera. Instead I ordered a wireless camera. Ford could have done a lot better on this by making this system wireless IMHO. My remote camera is still in the box it came in.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the new truck with a Customer-Placed Trailer Camera. Has anyone installed one of these on a Grand Design?

I also added the customer-placed trailer camera option when I ordered my F450. When I installed it on my 375RES I ran the cable from the pinbox up through the closet floor, through the laundry closet, and then along the top of the roof. I mounted it adjacent to the Furrion mount. I only had an extra foot or so of slack left in the provided cable.

Prior to my 375RES I had a shorter toy hauler and on that rig I ran the cable along the frame and then up the inside of the rear garage wall. I had no extra slack there and that rig was four feet shorter than the 351MS so I expect that you'll need an extension cable.

You can order extension cables from Nichols Mfg. I ordered a 10' extension for mine from them 'just in case' but I ended up not using it. It is the same quality and construction as the Ford cable and plugs right in.

I'm happy with the result. I used to have a wireless dash-cam on my last truck and had issues with the image being washed out in full sun or the image locking up when driving in urban areas. Since this one is hard-wired it's always rock solid and easy to view on the large screen. With my '21 you can keep the camera on while driving, but when you come to a complete stop it turns off though. The picture quality is better than my wireless cam and it has a wide field of vision.
    John and Vicki
    2022 Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wireslv View Post
    I also added the customer-placed trailer camera option when I ordered my F450. When I installed it on my 375RES I ran the cable from the pinbox up through the closet floor, through the laundry closet, and then along the top of the roof.
    Thanks for the reply. How did you get the cable onto the roof? Did you drill a hole?

I wonder how hard it would be to fish it through AC duct or in the attic. I'll have 3 ACs. I could pull them and see if there is space to get a fish in the attic (or duct.)

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. How did you get the cable onto the roof? Did you drill a hole?

I wonder how hard it would be to fish it through AC duct or in the attic. I'll have 3 ACs. I could pull them and see if there is space to get a fish in the attic (or duct.)

-B
    The camera cable comes with large connectors pre-attached so I used a hole saw to drill the hole in the roof.

I mounted a PVC electrical box with a matching hole in its bottom on top of the roof hole, sealed with butyl tape and dicor. I then ran the cable out of the side of the electrical box using the rubber grommet that was pre-installed on the camera cable. I also used dicor sealant over the grommet as an extra sealing measure.

I personally would shy away from attempting to use the AC duct. It's flimsy foam taped together so I'd be afraid of busting or tearing it, allowing more air leakage. You could probably fish through along the ceiling using the puck light holes for access. The puck lights pull out easily and you can use a fiberglass rod to get from one hole to the next.
    John and Vicki
    2022 Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 Ford F-450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    -B
    You plan on using the Ford camera and an aftermarket system simultaneously? How does that work?

I installed the Ford camera/TPMS system and after three years, I'm very satisfied. I invested in NAViKS system as well so I have access to all camera views while in motion. I think that option is available in Sync 4 now. The install was easy. I mounted the camera on the back wall just above the provided Furion mount. I secure the cable on the roof for the couple feet over to the ladder, then zip tied it running down the ladder to the underside of the trailer. There are many options for easily securing the cable along the frame. The TPMS receiver is mounted in the front storage compartment, which has easy access from the underside. The toughest part by far was fishing the cables from the receiver up through the king pin. With some aluminum flat bar, a couple lengths of wire and some patience, I made it happen in short order.

Going this route was way more expensive that an aftermarket camera and TPMS monitor, but due to my OCD, extra monitors and cables in the cab of my truck are simply not an option.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    You plan on using the Ford camera and an aftermarket system simultaneously? How does that work?
    I am mainly interested in the side marker light cameras.

Doesn't the Ford camera shut off when you are not in reverse? I use the rearview camera in the motorhome all of the time.

-B

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am mainly interested in the side marker light cameras.

Doesn't the Ford camera shut off when you are not in reverse? I use the rearview camera in the motorhome all of the time.

-B
    For my 2019, the cameras do shut off when you shift out of reverse. That's why I invested in the NAViKS module https://naviks.com/search.html?q=nk-1306&go=Go. It allows me access to any camera, at any time.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I believe the Ford camera is still a hard wired unit (it is on my 2017 F-350). If so, by far the hardest part of the install is running the wires. Some people run the wires under the trailer or over the roof or inside the coroplast. I ran it through the roof in my Solitude 310GK, but it took me two solid days of fishing to get it from the basement to the rear mount. The Furion mount supplied by Grand Design (which I did not use) only has power and you will need shielded video wires.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I am thinking about running my camera wire through the ceiling of our 310GK by punching through the back at the top. I assume I can run inside the ceiling by pulling puck lights. Then down to basement at the electrical box area. Is this the routing you took?
    Thanks in advance,
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast