Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 22MLE vs Cougar 22MLS?

For those of you you bought an Imagine 22MLE, did you also consider a Keystone Cougar 22MLS? Both of these trailers have similar layout and are considered high quality trailers. Why did you choose the 22MLE? What did you like better than the Cougar?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't buy the MLE but instead the RBE, but we did look at the Keystone Cougars first. Originally thought that's what we were going to go with until we looked at the GD RBE. We couldn't get over the heat vents in the floor of the Cougar. Didn't have them in the best locations, not a worry in the GD's. What mainly led us to the GD was customer service reputation. After reading online forms & talking to both rep's @ rv show, the GD rep. was a lot more friendly and personable. Cougar rep. acted like it was an inconvenience for him to be there. I asked for his card in case we had any questions & he said he doesn't hand them out, ok. GD rep gave me his cell # and said to call him anytime if we any questions or have any issues if we buy one. I have called him or texted him a few times and he's answered every time.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no thanks. Had a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel years ago and I did actually walk through the Cougar 22MLS and I personally didn't think it compared well to the Grand Design unit well. Now I have had 3 Grand Design trailers and am a big-time fan, so you have to do your own homework, which you obviously are, but be careful.

Also, my experience with Keystone service and warranty led me to sell a 2 1/2 year old 5th wheel for way less than I should have just to get rid of it.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friends of ours have a recent Keystone 5th wheel with many issues. They ended up giving up on the dealer and Keystone for warranty work. After seeing what they went through and the service they received not just from the dealer but from Keystone themselves, we didn't even consider them.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked at the Cougar 22RBS but purchased the 22MLE. The quality in the Cougar was inferior to the GD. Didn’t like the dual pedestal table, pieces just didn’t seem to fit, heavier camper and concern about the height of the rig.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What parts seemed to be inferior on the Cougar?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a piece of trim that was hanging from the roof. On inspection, it was completely mis-stapled. One of the base pieces of the table had a screw that they must have had issues with and so they just bent it over. The bar section seemed to be rather wobbly. All in all, it looked like they had just slapped it together and sent it out the door. This was the first hard sided trailer that we went into on the dealer’s lot and then after going into the MLE it was quite apparent to us that the workmanship in the Gd was superior. We went back into the Cougar after the MLE and again we said nope, not for us.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was doing my research, I read quite a few post from people complaining about Keystone not honoring warranty issues. I also read a post from dealer who said he stopped selling Keystone for that reason.
    2021 GD Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7Hemi Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at the Cougar last week. Trim hanging, trim pieces on the floor. The bottom third of the shower surround was not glued or otherwise attached to the wall. They used 3 black dry wall screws to attach the valance over the sink(apparently that wasn't a one-off as other owners of this model have reported they too have the same black screws. The dealer has removed the outside storage door latch(I presume for a repair on another unit). Loved the floor plan but just based on my 10 minutes of looking at the Cougar, we passed. Local GD dealers don't have 22MLE in stock so will need to call and see if they have one on the way.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Just looked at the Cougar last week. Trim hanging, trim pieces on the floor. The bottom third of the shower surround was not glued or otherwise attached to the wall. They used 3 black dry wall screws to attach the valance over the sink(apparently that wasn't a one-off as other owners of this model have reported they too have the same black screws. The dealer has removed the outside storage door latch(I presume for a repair on another unit). Loved the floor plan but just based on my 10 minutes of looking at the Cougar, we passed. Local GD dealers don't have 22MLE in stock so will need to call and see if they have one on the way.
    We have owned both a Keystone and a Grand Design product. Keystone does not want to talk after you have purchased.
    Grand Design post sales support is much better. It's not that Grand Design is perfect, it's that Keystone post sales is so bad.
    JMO:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast