User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question / Rant

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talkng to the owner of a popular local RV dealership this past week, he said that the industry sold 655,000 NEW campers in 2021. I asked what was normal, he replied that a really good year was 400,000 in new sales. Of course this doesn't count any used sales he pointed out.

Many more people discovering the joys of camping...makes it harder on those of us who have been lving that lifestyle for a while...
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I'm trying to see if I'm missing something. I'm having a HARD time getting reservations...especially at state parks. I just tried to book at Wallowa Lake State Park and the reservation window didn't open until 6:00 PST. I found a site, put my dates in, and waited until 6:00 PST. I clicked reserve and it came back booked. WTH! Is it really getting to the point that it coming down to who can click reserve faster? Or, I'm I missing something? VERY discourging.
    Entering our 19th year of reserving sites at Recreation.gov and numerous state park systems, I’ve learned a few things.
    1. Start your reservation on the days of Sunday- Wednesday. This will beat the weekend RVers.
    2. Be signed into your account beforehand.
    3. If the website has a system clock, use it.
    4. Have more than one campsite chosen as backup. Research the availability and know beforehand the dates on which a site is available.
    5. Use multiple devices signed into the account.
    6. Choose the desired site and alternate site on different devices.
    7. Be quick on the button. Don’t click beforehand because you will lose time as it resets.

If you’re like I am, your heart is palpating as you wait for the exact moment the clock strikes :00!
    I’ve been beaten many times as 100s of fellow RVers are vying for the same site.
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new section opened up at a state park near us. Reservations for the new section just opened up 2 days and already they are booked for June and July.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlife View Post
    Entering our 19th year of reserving sites at Recreation.gov and numerous state park systems, I’ve learned a few things.
    1. Start your reservation on the days of Sunday- Wednesday. This will beat the weekend RVers.
    2. Be signed into your account beforehand.
    3. If the website has a system clock, use it.
    4. Have more than one campsite chosen as backup. Research the availability and know beforehand the dates on which a site is available.
    5. Use multiple devices signed into the account.
    6. Choose the desired site and alternate site on different devices.
    7. Be quick on the button. Don’t click beforehand because you will lose time as it resets.

If you’re like I am, your heart is palpating as you wait for the exact moment the clock strikes :00!
    I’ve been beaten many times as 100s of fellow RVers are vying for the same site.
    Thank you very much for the tips. We finally got a spot at Silver Falls State Park in Oregon, but it took me and my wife both on the computer and iPad trying to get it. Pretty ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    Talkng to the owner of a popular local RV dealership this past week, he said that the industry sold 655,000 NEW campers in 2021. I asked what was normal, he replied that a really good year was 400,000 in new sales. Of course this doesn't count any used sales he pointed out.

Many more people discovering the joys of camping...makes it harder on those of us who have been lving that lifestyle for a while...
    Yeah, it makes it really difficult. That’s an insane amount of RVs being sold. When we first got into camping, I never thought I would have to plan my camping a year out. There have been several times where I have seriously considered tapping out and selling, but boys just love the camper.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a several CG's we go to 3-4 times a year. It's dry camping with just a few water spigots scattered around. They're right along on a river in a beautiful setting.

6+ years ago you could show up on Friday after work and have no issues getting a spot. Then about 4 years ago it turned into Friday morning. Then Thursday night. Some were reserve only while others were 1st come 1st serve.
    They were managed by an in state CG management company. That company got taken over by an out of state huge CG management company. Now after Covid hit all sites in all the CG's up there are reserve only. You can still stay without a res if the spots open.
    So many people out in RV's now. Even without Covid it was getting worse. Being both retired we now book Sun thru Thur and leave on Fri.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Worse than I've ever seen it. Try Florida in the winter [emoji6]

The upstairs devis that there will be some great used RV deals in a couple of years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    While most State Parks have a dedicated time to reserve a spot, usually 3 months to 11 months before your arrival date I'm told Florida residents can reserve Florida State Parks 1 month before anyone that's a non-resident.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    We have a several CG's we go to 3-4 times a year. It's dry camping with just a few water spigots scattered around. They're right along on a river in a beautiful setting.

6+ years ago you could show up on Friday after work and have no issues getting a spot. Then about 4 years ago it turned into Friday morning. Then Thursday night. Some were reserve only while others were 1st come 1st serve.
    They were managed by an in state CG management company. That company got taken over by an out of state huge CG management company. Now after Covid hit all sites in all the CG's up there are reserve only. You can still stay without a res if the spots open.
    So many people out in RV's now. Even without Covid it was getting worse. Being both retired we now book Sun thru Thur and leave on Fri.
    I wish it were easier to get spots. I won’t even try first come first serve sites.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just as bad in the more popular state parks in Michigan as well. Michigan DNR uses a call center in Indiana for reservations! Why?

Calling or trying online is like calling the biggest radio station trying to win the $1,000,000 cash prize. The phones are useless. Right exactly at 8 Am the endless ringing turns into an endless busy-signal. Online everything works fine except the "reserve" button until about 15 seconds before exactly 8 Am. Then all you can see is a spinning wheel on the desktop.

Out of necessity we politely ask my sister-in-law who has screaming fast internet to try to get us our preferred lot. She is successful more often than not...

We liked the way we did it 30 years ago...We took any lot we could get for the first night. That night my dad took a Thermos to the ranger station at about 3 Am and sat on the step to the front step and wait for the office to open at 8 Am. We ALWAYS got the lot we wanted that way! Not any more...Putting forth extra effort doesn't matter anymore if someone else has faster internet....
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123