User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    This is where the batteries came from. This company is Docan Technology based out of China and Hong Kong. They have a warehouse in Houston, TX and they receive there batteries from Docan in China. If the batteries are in stock in Houston, you will likely receive them in 4 or 5 day in the ConUS. The pricing is higher than what you see on their site for ordering their product from China, but the higher pricing includes shipping an no tax. You will have to pay a paypal fee is you use that method of payment. Ordering from China will sometimes be 2 or 3 months or longer for the product to arrive. So here is the link for where I bought mine... http://www.powerwholesale.net/usa-di...nk-p-3882.html

Here is another link that you should probably read also. I had nothing but great customer service from them and I contacted Jenny Wu to place my order. You can also find her at DIYsolarforums.com....she is a representative of Docan Tech.
    http://www.powerwholesale.net/about_us.html

And this.... http://www.powerwholesale.net/faq_info.html?faqs_id=1
    Thank you for the links. Now to decide what to do.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking:

Where are you in the decision process?

What other options have you considered?

What options were you able to easily eliminate and why?

What are the most important issues for you in making your battery decision?

I am asking because your thought process might help others who are trying to make the same decision.

For those who might be curious about how I arrived at my decision to use Tesla Model S battery modules...

I had researched many Build Your Own Battery options, I could not find an option that was able to beat the the cost of a Battle Born battery by enough to make the project worthwhile.

Then I came across Tom Morton's YouTube video (Mortons on the Move) explaining how he installed a Tesla battery module in his RV. This was the catalyst for my project.

Not only did the low cost of the Tesla battery appeal to me, but the challenge of building the project also appealed to me.

Besides that, having a Tesla powered RV is really cool!

If I were making a battery decision today, I would definitely choose these Chinese LiFePo4 battery cells to Build my Own battery.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    You're Welcome....glad to help. I'll just put this out there....There are a LOT (did I mention..A LOT) of LFP battery cell sellers on places like aliexpress...it's staggering that there are so many. I've heard so many horror stories of folks getting ripped off, B grade and used batteries being sold for new, etc. You name it, and it's probably been done. The reason that I mentioned the Docan warehouse in Houston is because there are many, many positive experiences with them AND with Jenny Wu (www.DIYSolarforum.com) She has performed flawlessly as a vendor with probably no one complaining about her service, honesty, integrity, and communications in response to asked questions. Sure, there are people that will complain because a shipment was delayed (Covid, LA Port issues, etc) but those are all things that are out of her hands and she does an excellent job.

Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY associated with Jenny Wu, Powerwholesale, nor do I have any affiliation with them. I am simply a satisfied customer that purchased from her/them based on all the good reviews about what they do.

I'm confident there are probably others out there, but when you spend the time looking, reading reviews, checking on all the info that you need to check out before ordering and trusting them to do as they say they will do, the time adds up and thus my decision to go with her and them. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is what I'm looking for - Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    If you don't mind me asking:

Where are you in the decision process?

What other options have you considered?

What options were you able to easily eliminate and why?

What are the most important issues for you in making your battery decision?

I am asking because your thought process might help others who are trying to make the same decision.

For those who might be curious about how I arrived at my decision to use Tesla Model S battery modules...

I had researched many Build Your Own Battery options, I could not find an option that was able to beat the the cost of a Battle Born battery by enough to make the project worthwhile.

Then I came across Tom Morton's YouTube video (Mortons on the Move) explaining how he installed a Tesla battery module in his RV. This was the catalyst for my project.

Not only did the low cost of the Tesla battery appeal to me, but the challenge of building the project also appealed to me.

Besides that, having a Tesla powered RV is really cool!

If I were making a battery decision today, I would definitely choose these Chinese LiFePo4 battery cells to Build my Own battery.
    I currently have 2 12v Interstate batteries that are almost 4 years old. They drain down quite rapidly when boondocking . I haven't tested them yet, but in past experiences the batteries usually have needed replacing at about the 3 to 4 year mark.
    So I have to decide between 3 choices...stay with 2 12v , 2 6 volt or the lithium route.
    We boondock about 5-6 times a year, otherwise we have hook ups. I do have a 3400w champion generator that we use boondocking.
    At this point the major power draw is the furnace & the fridge fans. The fridge runs on propane when boondocking.
    I know lithium is the best option and cheapest over the long range, but do I need to spend $1000 to $2000 for the limited time we boondock.
    If I go the lithium route I would probably go with a 200ah single battery & change out the convertor.
    I'm still researching which LI battery to use, the chin & amperes battery look to be decent batteries. And their 200ah battery is less expensive than a 100ah battle born.
    Our next trip is a boondocking trip in early March, so I need to decide soon.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer the original question from @Michigan_Dreaming, I started researching and building for a solar setup about a year ago when we still owned our travel trailer. I had read that the LiFePO4 battery can ruin the alternator so I just disconnect the black wire on the 7 pin connection so there would be no draw. I did switch from a WFCO LA charger to a WFCO lithium charger. On our new 5th wheel, I've decided, after doing more reading, to do nothing regarding the draw on the alternator but did switch out the PD LA charger for the PD lithium charger. I also built my own LiFePO4 battery from Chinese cells (280AH) and am very happy with it. Since we enjoy setting up in the shade, I also bought a 2000 watt solar suitcase so that I can set it up in the sun. The new 5er came with a 1000 watt panel on the roof.
    Ross & Sue | Papillion, Nebraska
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2020 F-350 XLT CCSB FX4 7.3L Gas
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
    To answer the original question from @Michigan_Dreaming, I had read that the LiFePO4 battery can ruin the alternator so I just disconnect the black wire on the 7 pin connection so there would be no draw.
    Unfortunately this is out there and makes people leery about switching to lithium. The issue is the explanations lack detail. Usually the question is "will switching to lithium hurt my alternator". And the answer is when using your alternator to charge lithium batteries you can burn up your alternator. Which is 100% true, using a stock alternator as a true charging source without some sort of regulator (dc/dc charger, current limiter, temp limiter, etc) will cause the alt. to run a full output for an extended time and burn itself out. But the stock 7 pin system will need to be modified for that to happen.

The truck 7 pin is a regulated source, basically a glorified trickle charger. The truck will put out what its designed for regardless of what is being fed. Lead acid, 100AH of lithium, 1000 AH of lithium, it does not matter. The most common number I have seen from people is +/- 7 amps on their trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoI...=VictronEnergy

This is a link to a Victron video showing them smoking an alternator. They have hooked up an alternator to a lithium battery without a regulator and let it go, running through the stock 7 pin is not what they are referring too.

Using the 7 pin and a stock system it is basically impossible to hurt the alternator. The charge wire size itself will tell you that, it is no where near large enough to handle 50/60+ amps. It would burn up long before the alternator if it somehow started pushing a high amperage.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update from a previous post. Progressive Dynamics got back to me and told me that they can factory adjust the 14.6 volt Boost voltage down, but (and there's always a "but"), they do NOT do it on an individual basis. The minimum order for a factory adjusted unit is 100 or more units. So with that info, I am no longer considering the PD lithium charger for my needs. Next in line for research is the Aims brand converter/charger. It can be set for FLA, AGM, Gel, and LFP batteries. In the Gel mode setting, output voltage is 14.0 and then it floats at 13.7. It also has a current limit adjustment on it (75 amp output) that can be adjusted from 20% to 100% current rating. I need to dig in deeper and try to find out when the unit does the transition to float....hopefully it is when the tail current is down to something like 10%.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Update from a previous post. Progressive Dynamics got back to me and told me that they can factory adjust the 14.6 volt Boost voltage down, but (and there's always a "but"), they do NOT do it on an individual basis. The minimum order for a factory adjusted unit is 100 or more units. So with that info, I am no longer considering the PD lithium charger for my needs. Next in line for research is the Aims brand converter/charger. It can be set for FLA, AGM, Gel, and LFP batteries. In the Gel mode setting, output voltage is 14.0 and then it floats at 13.7. It also has a current limit adjustment on it (75 amp output) that can be adjusted from 20% to 100% current rating. I need to dig in deeper and try to find out when the unit does the transition to float....hopefully it is when the tail current is down to something like 10%.
    Xrated,

I like and use the Xantrex XC2080 inverter charger. It is a 2,000w inverter and a 80w charger that is fully programmable. To see the specific programming parameters look up the users manual online. I have used it for hundreds of hours traveling and monitor the performance using a Fluke meter, clamp meter and the Victron smart shunt. It is also relatively light weight. Seems to be a good unit. Not a Victron unit but also not as expensive. It is more expensive than the Aims. I do have BS in electronic engineering so know a little about this.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80w must be a typo?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin