User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Update from a previous post. Progressive Dynamics got back to me and told me that they can factory adjust the 14.6 volt Boost voltage down, but (and there's always a "but"), they do NOT do it on an individual basis. The minimum order for a factory adjusted unit is 100 or more units. So with that info, I am no longer considering the PD lithium charger for my needs. Next in line for research is the Aims brand converter/charger. It can be set for FLA, AGM, Gel, and LFP batteries. In the Gel mode setting, output voltage is 14.0 and then it floats at 13.7. It also has a current limit adjustment on it (75 amp output) that can be adjusted from 20% to 100% current rating. I need to dig in deeper and try to find out when the unit does the transition to float....hopefully it is when the tail current is down to something like 10%.
    The Victron Multiplus line of Inverter/Chargers are fully programmable. You can set your Bulk, Absorption, and Float voltages to tenths of volts. On my batteries I set Bulk and Absorption voltages the same and set my Float voltage 2 tenths of a volt lower.

You also have this same flexibility with the Victron Solar Charge Controllers and they both use the same app to set and read the voltages (also the Battery Monitor).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    80w must be a typo?
    Sorry, yes 80a
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I appreciate the responses, but just for clarification......I don't want or need a combination Inverter/Charger. I have absolutely zero use for an inverter on the trailer. I strictly looking for a combination of converter/charger. I'm just have a hard time finding something that suits me because I don't want the boost or bulk charge voltage to be as high as most of them are for the LFP batteries. I would ideally like to find something that either had user adjustable out voltages or something with no more that 14V boost/bulk and then drop down to around 13.5 for the absorption voltage. That voltage would be around 3.4 volts/per cell and to me, that would be ideal.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I appreciate the responses, but just for clarification......I don't want or need a combination Inverter/Charger. I have absolutely zero use for an inverter on the trailer. I strictly looking for a combination of converter/charger. I'm just have a hard time finding something that suits me because I don't want the boost or bulk charge voltage to be as high as most of them are for the LFP batteries. I would ideally like to find something that either had user adjustable out voltages or something with no more that 14V boost/bulk and then drop down to around 13.5 for the absorption voltage. That voltage would be around 3.4 volts/per cell and to me, that would be ideal.
    Can't you set your desired limits with the BMS? I have seen screen shots of the BMS controls and it seems like all of your desired voltage settings could be accomplished within the BMS parameters.

What voltage settings did you get from the manufacturer?
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Can't you set your desired limits with the BMS? I have seen screen shots of the BMS controls and it seems like all of your desired voltage settings could be accomplished within the BMS parameters.

What voltage settings did you get from the manufacturer?
    From almost everyone over on the DIYsolarforums advice, do not ever use the BMS to control things like that. It is there as a protection device for the battery. I ask that very same question several weeks ago and I wouldn't say they "yelled at me" or anything like that, but was told that is a bad practice. That's the reason I'm not pursuing that path.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but was told that is a bad practice. That's the reason I'm not pursuing that path.
    The BMS is the battery's way of saving itself if your controls fail. Not meant to be your system control.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to building your own battery, done right it is way cheaper than Battle Born. I'm building a 600AH battery and it will be no more than $1500.

Battle Born battery has priced their products out of the market and they know it. Look at the prices now.....they are dropping. Why? Competition. Warranty? Read the fine print. Lots of loopholes. I read it quickly and notice something about an 8 year warranty. After 8, you get a discount price. A price that probably covers the real cost of the battery. Think your getting screwed with them? You can't sue them, it's in the warranty information too. Wondering why they are based out of Nevada? Guess who determines what is wrong with the battery? Yup, Battle Born. Could they always say that the battery was damaged from the user? Sure. Would they? I do not know.

Battle born does have the market tied up when it comes to getting You Tubers to hype their product. If you got more money than brains, go ahead, Battle Born is the way for you. Those that worked hard for their money and like tinkering, there are so many more options. Options that may be just fine.

Same way with Victron. I can make a video and post it showing that an alternator is ruined. I can also make a video that shows an alternator works fine too. I do not know of any alternator that will be ruined with the small gauge factory wiring. The wire would be ruined first. If you think the stock power wire to your lithium battery is going to work for you, I would suggest you do your homework and learn with all the information out there or hire a professional that does push the Victron and Battle Born products.

Just because I will get some flack, I don't say their products are bad, they are just way overpriced and there are other options out there. Including making your own battery. I took off my rose colored glasses early on in life. Invest wisely.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you see value in it or not, BB does use a relatively unique design for their batteries. They're not prismatic like all the cheap batteries are. They're cylindrical, kinda similar to the packs Tesla puts in their cars.

Whether this is worth the extra cost, well that depends on what you want from a battery, how price sensitive you are, etc.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    When it comes to building your own battery, done right it is way cheaper than Battle Born. I'm building a 600AH battery and it will be no more than $1500.

Battle Born battery has priced their products out of the market and they know it. Look at the prices now.....they are dropping. Why? Competition. Warranty? Read the fine print. Lots of loopholes. I read it quickly and notice something about an 8 year warranty. After 8, you get a discount price. A price that probably covers the real cost of the battery. Think your getting screwed with them? You can't sue them, it's in the warranty information too. Wondering why they are based out of Nevada? Guess who determines what is wrong with the battery? Yup, Battle Born. Could they always say that the battery was damaged from the user? Sure. Would they? I do not know.

Battle born does have the market tied up when it comes to getting You Tubers to hype their product. If you got more money than brains, go ahead, Battle Born is the way for you. Those that worked hard for their money and like tinkering, there are so many more options. Options that may be just fine.

Same way with Victron. I can make a video and post it showing that an alternator is ruined. I can also make a video that shows an alternator works fine too. I do not know of any alternator that will be ruined with the small gauge factory wiring. The wire would be ruined first. If you think the stock power wire to your lithium battery is going to work for you, I would suggest you do your homework and learn with all the information out there or hire a professional that does push the Victron and Battle Born products.

Just because I will get some flack, I don't say their products are bad, they are just way overpriced and there are other options out there. Including making your own battery. I took off my rose colored glasses early on in life. Invest wisely.
    Battle born has replaced one of my batteries. They did not try to weasel out of it at all. They even upgraded it to the new model with built in heating. The entire interaction with them was a pleasure.
    And do not insult others intelligence.....I had enough brains to earn enough money so I can afford the finer things in life.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-21-2022 at 04:20 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No insults are in my post. I believe it was mentioned that you cannot build a battery cheaper than what Battle Born has [or something similar]. I'm saying that it's not true. If you have made more money and do not want to spend the time to educate yourself, great, buy Battle Born. I do not think you are buying a bad product. Just way over priced.

You can buy a Rolex or a Timex. Both do what they say they do. I'm just pointing out, that Battle Born is not the only good manufacturer now.

Part of the price on any item is the warranty. With the mark up they have, I would expect the process to be easy. I'm glad it was for you.

I have spent months looking at a solar system. There is little I do not know now. There is so much out there about Battle Born. When I first started, they were close to $1k just in the last few months their products are all going on sale. Why? Because there are some good options out there and a huge price savings.

I have worked with Mercedes for years. Back in 1990, the engineers laughed when Lexus and Infiniti elected to tap into their market. After a couple years, they were not laughing anymore. It was such a shock that in 1994, they dropped the price of a lot of their top models. They changed their entire way of thinking when it came to building cars. No more all leather seats, only leather seating surfaces, no more leather door panels, just vinyl.

Battle Born is in the same position that Mercedes was in he early 90's. There are plenty of Lexus and Infiniti companies out there that are going to push them off their mountain top.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast