Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading Solitude 380FL wheels and tires

https://www.boarwheel.com/cruiser-67...Qwzv0UsZEpH8Sw

I am looking to upgrade to these 19.5 Boar wheels, I am considering using the BFGoodrich 245/70R19.5 (H) tires. Is there any concern in ordering 4 of these ? Can I keep the original factory tires as emergency spares or can the 16's not be used even in an emergency situation without replacing all 4 ?
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    2021 Dodge 3500 Dually, Turbo Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone on this site has upgraded to Boar wheels. Try searching on "boar" and see if you can find it. or go to google and search "mygranddesign.com boar" (without the quotes.

I looked into upgrading to those wheels. To understand if I'd have any issues getting tires I search a few places and called a few others - I decided getting 19" tires could be problematic if on the road; and even locally or using one of the online retailers I couldn't find the Micheline tires easily. So I decided I wasn't going that direction.

Another choice that I think is good is to go to 17.5" wheels and tires and get some Continental HTL2's. Big Truck Big RV has a good YouTube on those. However, my local dealer couldn't get those tires but said to keep checking.

In the end I just replaced my worn Sailun 235/80R16 tires with Sailun's 235/85R16.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to see specs specifically with the tire and wheel combo you want, but on the chart in your link, H rated on 19.5" rims could add as much as 2" of height to your rig. The 380FL is already at max height, so in my opinion this is a no-go. I plan to upgrade to the 17.5" rims and H-rated Cooper tires that come on new Solitudes. Due to the tire profile versus 16" G-rated Westlakes, the H-rated Coopers should actually drop rig height by about 1/2 inch.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    You would have to see specs specifically with the tire and wheel combo you want, but on the chart in your link, H rated on 19.5" rims could add as much as 2" of height to your rig. The 380FL is already at max height, so in my opinion this is a no-go. I plan to upgrade to the 17.5" rims and H-rated Cooper tires that come on new Solitudes. Due to the tire profile versus 16" G-rated Westlakes, the H-rated Coopers should actually drop rig height by about 1/2 inch.
    The H rated 245/70R19.5 Continentals are the same OD (32") as the stock tires. How would this raise the rig ? Ultimately I want to find one place where i can order wheel/tire combo from and have it delivered, balanced so I can just install on rig. Where are you getting your 17.5's ?
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riekls View Post
    The H rated 245/70R19.5 Continentals are the same OD (32") as the stock tires. How would this raise the rig ? Ultimately I want to find one place where i can order wheel/tire combo from and have it delivered, balanced so I can just install on rig. Where are you getting your 17.5's ?
    G-rated Westlakes say OD of 31.7" when inflated. On the chart in your link, Continental H-rated are 32.8" and the Michelins were 33.6". The Cooper H-rated on 17.5" wheels say OD of 30.5".

E-trailer has Coopers and Goodyear H-rated mounted on 17.5" wheels.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    G-rated Westlakes say OD of 31.7" when inflated. On the chart in your link, Continental H-rated are 32.8" and the Michelins were 33.6". The Cooper H-rated on 17.5" wheels say OD of 30.5".

E-trailer has Coopers and Goodyear H-rated mounted on 17.5" wheels.
    Just to be precise, the larger tires will add half of the increase in diameter to the height of the trailer, the other half is on the top of the tire.

But I agree with capt. I would also recommend the 17.5's you can get higher load rating on a smaller overall diameter. (unless you need the extra height to tow level) But be careful on overall height.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Just to be precise, the larger tires will add half of the increase in diameter to the height of the trailer, the other half is on the top of the tire.

But I agree with capt. I would also recommend the 17.5's you can get higher load rating on a smaller overall diameter. (unless you need the extra height to tow level) But be careful on overall height.
    This is exactly why I posted here before buying

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...tails=.reviews

So is this the recommended combination? Should I buy 4 or 5 ? I.e. can the current spare still serve as an emergency, probably not ?
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly why I posted here before buying

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...tails=.reviews

So is this the recommended combination? Should I buy 4 or 5 ? I.e. can the current spare still serve as an emergency, probably not ?
    Mine came with the 17.5” coopers. So far so good. I run them at about 105psi.

As for the spare, I think it would be fine using the stock one in a pinch. But others may have a different opinion.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    105psi ? They show rated at 125 for maximum load bearing?
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    105psi ? They show rated at 125 for maximum load bearing?
    Yes but they are not carrying that much weight. At 105 they’re still good for 4200lbs per tire.

Some believe in running at max pressure but I don’t. There have been a few discussions on here about it if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast