User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Owners Please Help!

After 5 months I punted on my Chevy 3500 High Country Dually order, since I still can’t get any assurance of a build timeframe, or certainty on what options they can piece together. I’m going to be a first-time-ever Ford owner with an F-350 Dually long bed 6.7 diesel 10 speed Platinum. The question is Ford has four axle ratios…3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30.

We will pull a 310GK-R, primarily out West, and in the mountains.
    Which do I choose??

Thanks!
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2018 with a 3:55 electronic locker. I have a 2022 on order with same. BUT - mine are SRW.

It looks like Ford's build site picks a 3:55 non-limited rear. I don't know the diff between a non-limited and limited.

Maybe somewhere can help, but I find that there is good info over on the Ford Enthusiasts form here is one such discussion.

Nice choice of trucks. I'm on my third going on my forth. This time I'm going with the King Ranch. I ordered it at the end of October, still waiting for build date. Dealer thinks I should hear something in early Feb.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry, I’ll check that out.
    I would have liked to have gone with an F-450, but they capped the GVWR on that truck such that the payload capacity is 1200lbs less than an F-350. With the genny I want to get + aux fuel tank, I would be close to the max. Maybe I shouldn’t worry about that, but…
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    After 5 months I punted on my Chevy 3500 High Country Dually order, since I still can’t get any assurance of a build timeframe, or certainty on what options they can piece together. I’m going to be a first-time-ever Ford owner with an F-350 Dually long bed 6.7 diesel 10 speed Platinum. The question is Ford has four axle ratios…3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30.

Which do I choose??

Thanks!
    Not all rear end ratios are available with all engines and series (SRW, DRW, F350, F450, etc). Google the year and "Ford super duty towing guide" or "ford super duty options list" and search for one of the ratios. This is what I got from the 2022 Ford brochure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-13 161917.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	38501

The 2022 6.7L F350 DRW only offers the 3:55 & 4.10 rear end rations. The F450 (which has a much better minimum turning radius) only comes in a 4.30 rear end ration. The 3.73 rear end is only for gas engines. Bear in mind that rolling diameter of the rear tires will affect the total (effective) gear ratio.

That being said, I pull my 310GK with 3.55 ratio SRW with no problems. I also have stock size 18" rims. This is roughly equivalent to 3.74 rear end with stock 17" tires on a Ford dually. I live in, and pull all over, the Rocky Mountains. A newer 10 speed would do even better. With a diesel, unless you are pulling a much heavier trailer then a 310GK, I would go with the 3:55 rear end. Your engine RPMs will be lower than 4.10 (for the same speed and gear selection) and your fuel mileage will be higher (both towing and empty).

I do not know if this is still true, but in 2017, the Single Rear Wheel (SRW) trucks had the option of an electronic rear locker (pull a knob in the cab and it locks the two rear wheels together) in low speed conditions. The Dual rear Wheel (DRW) trucks had the option(?) of a limited slip rear end (a mechanical device that -as the name says - would limit the maximum slip between the rear wheels). No manual control on the limited slip. They work differently, and have different pros and cons, but basically address similar problems.

These are my opinions. hope this helps.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 01-13-2022 at 10:05 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 10speed, go with the 3.55.
    When you calculate the overall gear ratio of 1st gear (the gear that gets you rolling) you find that it is similar to the 1st gear of the former 6speed with the 4.30 rear end.

It really does give you the best of both worlds, enough grunt to get rolling at max weights in San Francisco, and a tall enough final drive to cruise at under 1800rpm at 70mph on a flat interstate.

As far as the locking differential, it keeps both rear wheels turning at the same speed no matter what. (It makes turning difficult on dry pavement)

It's handy to have when your trying to back up an incline on wet grass with the trailer. (Or my driveway in the snow)

It doesn't weigh much, and you just push a button on the dash to engage it. It turns itself off at 15mph or so...
    I would spec it again...

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    With the 10speed, go with the 3.55.
    When you calculate the overall gear ratio of 1st gear (the gear that gets you rolling) you find that it is similar to the 1st gear of the former 6speed with the 4.30 rear end.
    I pull a 310 GK with a F350 Diesel Dually, the 3:55 rear end is more than adequate with my 6-speed transmission. The pulling power could only be better with the 10-speed transmission.

PS: I would recommend you look into the Reese GooseBox hitch, we have it and really LOVE it !!!

PPS: Congrats on the new truck !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which do I choose??

Thanks!

I don't have experience towing out West, we are nearer to you in Michigan. But I have an F350 XLT DRW 6.7L Long Bed with a 3:55 axle. I have no issue with anything around here. I think the 10 speed really helps.
    Oh, and I also tow a 310GK.
    As an aside (keep in mind I have an XLT trim level) every time I read about people going with a light weight hitch setup (either goose neck or AUH or something similar weight wise) I really wonder how their truck rides. For our truck, I always carry 6 40# bags of water softener salt, and a B&W Companion 25K hitch, and a predator generator. In fact, to smooth out the ride even MORE we are getting more salt tomorrow, lol!! I want to make clear, I am in no way dismissing those hitch alternatives, they all seem fantastic ways to go.
    We do have a giant dog that has a wonky stomach, and Michigan roads are TERRIBLE, so we are always kind of sensitive to the ride quality.
    Good luck with your decision, I have owned Chevy trucks and loved them, just stumbled onto the Ford when I needed a DRW.
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 DRW 4x4 CC XL 176" WB 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which do I choose??

Thanks!
    Ford dually orders are taking 6 months if ordered now.
    If ordering Granger Ford in IA https://www.grangerford.com/ will order for 2% below invoice and Chapman Ford in PA will order at 4% below invoice. https://www.chapmanfordhorsham.com/
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdAl View Post
    I don't have experience towing out West, we are nearer to you in Michigan. But I have an F350 XLT DRW 6.7L Long Bed with a 3:55 axle. I have no issue with anything around here. I think the 10 speed really helps.
    Oh, and I also tow a 310GK.
    As an aside (keep in mind I have an XLT trim level) every time I read about people going with a light weight hitch setup (either goose neck or AUH or something similar weight wise) I really wonder how their truck rides. For our truck, I always carry 6 40# bags of water softener salt, and a B&W Companion 25K hitch, and a predator generator. In fact, to smooth out the ride even MORE we are getting more salt tomorrow, lol!! I want to make clear, I am in no way dismissing those hitch alternatives, they all seem fantastic ways to go.
    We do have a giant dog that has a wonky stomach, and Michigan roads are TERRIBLE, so we are always kind of sensitive to the ride quality.
    Good luck with your decision, I have owned Chevy trucks and loved them, just stumbled onto the Ford when I needed a DRW.
    I think I have a universal “use the 3.55”. This forum is great for getting feedback from people with the experience. Thanks to all!

I’m with you on roads…IL is pretty pathetic as well (as you probably know). I’m gonna go with a standard 5th wheel hitch to start out.
    Larry and JoAnna

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry, I’ll check that out.
    I would have liked to have gone with an F-450, but they capped the GVWR on that truck such that the payload capacity is 1200lbs less than an F-350. With the genny I want to get + aux fuel tank, I would be close to the max. Maybe I shouldn’t worry about that, but…
    You should NOT worry about that. This is a political issue, not an engineering issue. In some states, trucks are more expensive to register and insure depending on their listed capacity. Anything 'listed' over a certain capacity may require you to register the truck as a commercial vehicle, at more expense to you.

The 450 is a heavier vehicle; to keep the GRVW under the magic number; Ford lists it with a lower payload capacity. Again, this has zero to do with engineering; the F450 will easily pull anything GD makes.

As you can see in my signature, I have an F350 dually; great truck. It will also pull anything GD makes. My advice to you is test drive both and pay attention to the turning radius. On that issue alone, I would choose the 450 if I were to do it over again.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast