Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot & Cold Water Hose

There have been many posts about the water hose used in the hot and cold systems & I have been searching for a place to buy it. Grand Design told me that it is PEX, but it's not. I finally found out that it's polyvinyl material and can be bought at RecPro or on Amazon. I know GD uses the PEX fittings, which others have noted is a slightly smaller diameter. I have found fittings that are for cold water only at ACE Hardware. Still looking for hot water fittings. Hope this is helpful.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What clamp are you using? I am having same problem with hose leaking at fittings. Can't use pex clamp because it is too small to get on hose.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJK29RS View Post
    What clamp are you using? I am having same problem with hose leaking at fittings. Can't use pex clamp because it is too small to get on hose.
    Thanks for your reply. Didn't think anyone would ever reply. Are you talking about the soft polyvinyl hose or the PEX? I bought a tool and some pinch clamp rings at Home Depot but haven't used them yet. The tool is ApolloPEX #69PTBJ0010C . I think the rings are Apollo too. They are supposed to be good for 1/2" PEX .

My problem is the hot outlet on the water heater leaking. The soft water hose in my 303RLS is 1/2" ID as you probably know and the PEX fittings are 0.475 OD. Grand Design says this is OK (HaHa). The fitting I got at ACE hardware that works (1/2" F x 1/2" M barb) but it's PVC and says only good for cold water. I used an automotive hose clamp and so far it's holding. If I remember correctly, the hose OD was too large for the PEX and Flair-It fitting nuts, but it's been a while since I worked on it.

I found a fitting at RecPro that is 1/2" male barb (SKU RP-1019), but they say it's not good for hot water. RecPro also has an insert and nut so a Flair-It fitting can be used with 1/2" ID hose. I think I'll get one of these to try even though they are a little pricey, if the Flair-It fittings are good for hot water.

Hope this helps with your situation. The soft vinyl hose is a real problem area in our rigs.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same fitting is my problem. Soft hose I have come to find out basically balloons after some years with pressure on it. I am going to replace the hose and original Pex fittings should work. Although I am trying to find out if there is a special for hot water. Have to get hose from Grand Design, no one else has it. Even Amazon is out of stock.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same fitting is my problem. Soft hose I have come to find out basically balloons after some years with pressure on it. I am going to replace the hose and original Pex fittings should work. Although I am trying to find out if there is a special for hot water. Have to get hose from Grand Design, no one else has it. Even Amazon is out of stock.
    RecPro has hose and it looks like the same thing or close enough. I haven't tried it yet but planning to if I have to replace any hose.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had not heard of RecPro before but I will take a look. FYI, Grand Design sending hose as a comp.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had not heard of RecPro before but I will take a look. FYI, Grand Design sending hose as a comp.
    Please let us know how the one GD sends compares to the stuff @ Home Depot or Lowes. Found this article interesting. https://askthervengineer.com/all-you...y-an-engineer/
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the article, I was aware of most of his points but a few new ones. Biggest trouble with getting hose from CD is waiting time. Maybe get it in a week?