Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voltage drop Battleborn battery

Hi everyone,

I have setup a few BattleBorn batteries with a Magnum MSH3012-RV inverter/charger and the ARC-50 remote controller. I currently use the CC/CV mode to charge the batteries. Once the charge cycle ends, it goes to "silent" and the battery bank voltage quickly drops to under 13v, with a load of about 10amps, which triggers a new charge cycle (which I can see thanks to the Victron BMV-712)

The batteries are thus almost constantly getting charged, then discharged for about a minute before the voltage is low enough that a new charge cycle is triggered. I currently have the "Set Recharge" setting to 13.2v; should I just lower it to something like 12.5v?
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have setup a few BattleBorn batteries with a Magnum MSH3012-RV inverter/charger and the ARC-50 remote controller. I currently use the CC/CV mode to charge the batteries. Once the charge cycle ends, it goes to "silent" and the battery bank voltage quickly drops to under 13v, with a load of about 10amps, which triggers a new charge cycle (which I can see thanks to the Victron BMV-712)
    The batteries are thus almost constantly getting charged, then discharged for about a minute before the voltage is low enough that a new charge cycle is triggered. I currently have the "Set Recharge" setting to 13.2v; should I just lower it to something like 12.5v?
    I have a similar configuration but it stays silent for a significant time before cycling. My advice is to contact BB support by email. They respond very well and can give you real information on whether you have a problem or setup issue. I highly recommend Aaron. He provided setup parameters and troubleshooting help to me.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I have a similar configuration but it stays silent for a significant time before cycling. My advice is to contact BB support by email. They respond very well and can give you real information on whether you have a problem or setup issue. I highly recommend Aaron. He provided setup parameters and troubleshooting help to me.
    Thank you, I will do that.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

battleborn/magnum voltage issue

Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    Hi everyone,

I know it has been a long time since this thread was created, but I REALLY need to know what the findings were, please.

I have a similar and serious issue....magnum 2812 settings all perfect for these battleborn batteries.....unit functioning perfecty........four batteries known to be fine....all wiring certain as to correctness..........batteries charge as expected and get to voltages indicating full charge for the group (four batteries wired for 12 volts), but within a few minutes, the voltage starts dropping to, ultimately, 13.1 or 13.2 volts....total time for drop is roughly 20 -30 minutes...and charge cycle starts all over again.

all possible settings have been tried, as have two separate 2812s...both current firmware....we are POSITIVE that the inverter charger and individual batteries test fine independently of the total installation....and we know that two different magnum panels perform exactly the same way.

wires are all new and professionally created and we just cannot see any reason for this to happen. everything was working fine with 4 lifeline AGMs.......

any granular help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated!!

thanks.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsr123 View Post
    I know it has been a long time since this thread was created, but I REALLY need to know what the findings were, please.

I have a similar and serious issue....magnum 2812 settings all perfect for these battleborn batteries.....unit functioning perfecty........four batteries known to be fine....all wiring certain as to correctness..........batteries charge as expected and get to voltages indicating full charge for the group (four batteries wired for 12 volts), but within a few minutes, the voltage starts dropping to, ultimately, 13.1 or 13.2 volts....total time for drop is roughly 20 -30 minutes...and charge cycle starts all over again.

all possible settings have been tried, as have two separate 2812s...both current firmware....we are POSITIVE that the inverter charger and individual batteries test fine independently of the total installation....and we know that two different magnum panels perform exactly the same way.

wires are all new and professionally created and we just cannot see any reason for this to happen. everything was working fine with 4 lifeline AGMs.......

thanks.
    Hey @nsr123, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. Could you be just a bit more specific about how things are set up on your rig? That would help with the diagnosis. So from what I can figure, you have a Magnum MS2812 2800W Pure Sine Inverter/Charger connected to 4 batteries (you say Battleborn which is LiFePo4 but later AGM, but not sure which it is). How are these wired into your coach? Did you do the installation? What loads are drawn from the system when you observe the voltage drop? How are you monitoring the system?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks.
    Is there a load on the battery? If so how much? The OP stated a load of 10 amps. I don't have that exact kind of charger, but seems like with a load on the battery that would be expected for the voltage to drop and trigger the charger to replace the lost energy. If all load is disconnected then that would be a different story.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably already have this, but you need to have the individual batteries connected to a buss bar, with equal lengths, then your load connected to the buss bar. otherwise the load, and charger, wont sense all the batteries as one.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all for the fast and caring responses.

I hope what follows constitutes a better job than I did previously, in setting this all up and out:

1. i have a fifth wheel into which I have just "dropped in" 4 battleborn 12 volt, 100aH batteries. All batteries have been tested for taking and holding a charge (victron ip65) outside of the trailer and all test perfectly. the unit is on shore power full time and for the time being, all solar is switched off...meaning the array and the midnite 150 that connects to it

2. the trailer has a magnum 2812 inverter/charger, which also tests perfectly. in the process of trying to run this problem down, I have also tried a different 2812 which is also running perfectly and it has not changed what I am here to figure out. ditto for 4 other battleborn batteries....i have 8 in total but only 4 in use at any one time.
    IOW, I am sure that the magnum and battleborn units are all operating perfectly well. the firmware on both the 2812s and the magnum panel are current.

3. all wiring came from a highly recommended supplier, batterycables usa, to include that they connected all the lugs, etc.....and I am CERTAIN that wire sizes and lengths are not at any issue.

the problem:

as soon as the charge cycle flips out of absorb to either float or "silent" (depending on how we set the magum panel...we have tried testing both ways......................the voltage drops from a full reading (for these batteries that is.13.6 or even higher)...so quickly such that it hits 13.1 or 13.2 volts within a half hour...and flips right back into another full charge cycle.

nothing we know to do has changed this......and being on shore power full time, I cannot imagine what 12 volt draws there might be as things are, that would cause such a precipitous drop...and in any event, I have lived in this trailer for over 7 years and am unaware of any issues that would cause this to happen. fwiw, I previously had Lifeline AGMs but for a number of reasons, age and weight, it was time to replace them.

I am 75 and not well...and hope that I have done a better job this time in explaining my issue....as I live full time in this RV and am in a place where power goes off frequently enough to be a factor.

I continue to be grateful, in advance, for all of you entertaining this matter!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps to you, lance, I have not had them connected to busbars, but have wired this exactly as battleborn suggested. that said, and interesting that you should say this, not knowing what else to do, I am about to install two busbars to do exactly what you have just said, hoping to find that that is the issue.

knowledgable folks have opined that they do not think this will change things, but I am aware that a voltage drop could be a "resistance" issue and I don't know what else to try.

because of my infirmities, I have not been able to do this yet but have things lined up to do so this week. do you think this is, indeed, the issue?

gracias

pps in the battery compartment, it may not be possible to have all wires exactly the same length, as given the location to mount busbars it has to <probably> be on one side of the compartment or the other.

does "all the same length" mean down to the 1/4", kind of thing or if one is a half dozen or so inches longer than another, will that work in your opionin?

again, thanks so much.
    Last edited by nsr123; 04-19-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pps in the battery compartment, it may not be possible to have all wires exactly the same length, as given the location to mount busbars it has to <probably> be on one side of the compartment or the other.

does "all the same length" mean down to the 1/4", kind of thing or if one is a half dozen or so inches longer than another, will that work in your opionin?

again, thanks so much.
    The reason you want them all the same length is so the internal resistance of each leg will be the same. Otherwise, the battery with the lower resistance will get more work. I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure what the tolerances are, but I doubt that 1/4 inch will make a big difference. I also have a 4 battery setup with bus bars. It was challenging to get all four of the cables connected, but once I did the system worked flawlessly.

Good luck with your setup, I hope you feel well enough soon to tackle the problem. Let us know how you make out.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast