Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace Mattress: New question regarding memory foam

Okay, searched for previous posts on this topic and cannot find an answer. I googled and think I know the answer but wanted to see if anyone has real world experience with it...

Our new TT has a Serta foam mattress. We've had the TT for six months. Believe it or not, we found it to be very comfortable, which is a surprise as we usually look to replace the mattress first thing. The issue is that we already have a major divot in the middle that does not pop back up. It's now beginning to feel like we're very close to the plywood underneath.

In other RV's we've replaced with typical residential innerspring mattress, but memory foam seems very comfortable. In trying to figure out why ours has already worn a divot into it, I have read that memory foam is not compatible with cold or freezing temperatures. We traveled from MN to FL in December and will head back in February. If what I have read is true, compressing memory foam materials at cold temperatures can permanently damage the cell structure.

I'm wondering if this is what has happened to ours and if anyone else has had the same experience? When we travel for the day, it gets down to freezing in the TT before we stop and turn the heat back on. When we go to bed, the foam surely has not come back up to warm temp completely. Trying to figure this out before we invest in a new mattress. We like the foam, but don't want to invest and end up in the same situation a year from now. Thanks!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Zinus foam mattress and dont have this issue. By the time you go to bed, the mattress would not be frozen I'd believe. FWIW, I find the Zinus ok but we just recently purchased a Douglas mattress for the stick and brick and really love it. My brother got the Endy and they also love it. Just in case your looking to replace yours

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the mattress is truly all or mostly memory foam, that is the problem. Memory foam is called that because it retains a shape memory rather than going back to its original form. Most top-of-the-line foam mattresses use little (if any) true memory foam. Many use variations of polyfoam (often proprietary blends with various methods for cooling and moisture wicking). We have been on our Tuft & Needle Original mattress full-time for over five years and it's the same shape (flat) as when we first put it into service. We have not experienced any issues in hot or cold weather, either. There are other good "mattresses in a box" out there that will give you similar results.

On another note, if you use an all-foam mattress on a solid surface (like the plywood platforms in our RVs), it's best to use a ventilation underlayment to prevent moisture accumulation and mold. This is a well-known concept among boaters, too. We use Hypervent Aire-Flow for this purpose.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We have a Zinus foam mattress and dont have this issue. By the time you go to bed, the mattress would not be frozen I'd believe. FWIW, I find the Zinus ok but we just recently purchased a Douglas mattress for the stick and brick and really love it. My brother got the Endy and they also love it. Just in case your looking to replace yours

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into those. Definitely going to be replacing the mattress this spring before our next long trip.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If the mattress is truly all or mostly memory foam, that is the problem. Memory foam is called that because it retains a shape memory rather than going back to its original form. Most top-of-the-line foam mattresses use little (if any) true memory foam. Many use variations of polyfoam (often proprietary blends with various methods for cooling and moisture wicking). We have been on our Tuft & Needle Original mattress full-time for over five years and it's the same shape (flat) as when we first put it into service. We have not experienced any issues in hot or cold weather, either. There are other good "mattresses in a box" out there that will give you similar results.

On another note, if you use an all-foam mattress on a solid surface (like the plywood platforms in our RVs), it's best to use a ventilation underlayment to prevent moisture accumulation and mold. This is a well-known concept among boaters, too. We use Hypervent Aire-Flow for this purpose.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. Now I see that foam isn't all memory foam. We've never had a foam mattress before. Researched and cannot tell what this one is that came with the RV, but it's basically compressed everywhere but around the edges now, looks like a big nest. I'll check out the Tuft & Needle and the Hypervent as well.
    Chad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a foam Denver Mattress brand mattress, it's quite comfortable. The first year we had our trailer we stayed in it over Christmas due to a full house at the in-laws. Outside temps were in the low teens during the day to 0 or below over night. Long story short, when we closed up the camper we just happened to lift the mattress and look at the underside. There was definitely moisture on the bottom side of the mattress and the carpet it sits on. Not a real big deal, we just propped up the mattress so air could get to the bottom side.