User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fueling up with the Big Boys

I was on the fence regarding a gasser or a diesel truck to tow my giant, new, fairly heavy trailer. I went with the Duramax Diesel. The very best part of having a diesel is being able to fuel up in the truck lanes. No more stress about getting in and out of gas stations. So easy and stress free. Plus I have found the truckers to be a friendly and courteous bunch. I Got the TSD Logistics card ( www.tsdlogistics.com ) and the Pilot/Flying J RV credit card, so I can pay at the pump at most any truck stop. A joy worth sharing here on the forum.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would agree, our rig at 54 feet and 13.5 in height, it can't fit into most stations car lane pumps or there isn't room to pull away from the pumps and turn to get back out. Using the fuel station truck lanes
    for the last couple years sure makes it easier, never had a bad experience using the truck lanes. We can fill up with DEF at the same time if we need it. Of course having smaller fuel tanks than semi's we are in and out and out of their way pretty fast.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fueling up with the Big Boys

95% of the time no issues at truck stops. We have the TCS card through FMCA. Only Snafu is the cards often don’t work at the pump so gotta go in. Every so often I’ll get a trucker park his rig at the pump in front of me and disappear into travel plaza for 20 min. That’s frustrating. Pump prices are 10-15% than getting off an exit on the turnpike. The ease of in and out plus if they are a TCS participant takes the sting out of the markup. Also DEF is usually cheaper at the pump than bottled. Not to mention no concern getting bad diesel or DEF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MooManChu; 01-17-2022 at 08:26 AM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    95% of the time no issues at truck stops. We have the TCS card through FMCA. Only Snafu is the cards often don’t work at the pump so gotta go in. Every so often I’ll get a trucker park his rig at the pump in front of me and disappear into travel plaza for 20 min. That’s frustrating. Pump prices are 10-15% than getting off an exit on the turnpike. The ease of in and out plus if they are a TCS participant takes the sting out of the markup. Also DEF is usually cheaper at the pump than bottled. Not to mention no concern getting bad diesel or DEF.

Actually you can get bad DEF from the pump. My nephew is a heavy diesel mechanic and they get trucks that are out of commission from bad DEF that came from the truck stops......... and quite often...
    I buy mine in jugs and save the receipt.......
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issue with your cards could be the amount the truck pumps preauthorize ($1000.+) especially if you are trying to use a debt card. If using a credit card you can call the bank and have them raise the authorization limit. I have the same problem with my works credit card, but they refuse to increase the preauth limit.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    Issue with your cards could be the amount the truck pumps preauthorize ($1000.+) especially if you are trying to use a debt card. If using a credit card you can call the bank and have them raise the authorization limit. I have the same problem with my works credit card, but they refuse to increase the preauth limit.
    The OP is talking about the TSD and Pilot RV cards - there's no preauthorization on those. The TSD card does an ACH directly from your checking account and the Pilot RV card bills you every month from their own system.

For me, "the very best part" of towing with a diesel is the torque. After that come a variety of benefits, including fueling in the truck lanes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    Issues is known by TCS. They’re system isn’t setup across the network of stations yet. As far as credit cards One of the cashier told me they’ve clamped down on consumer credit cards at the pump due to fraud. Seems unlikely to me that would be enough of an issue. No preauth issue on my Citi card and I’ve not used a debit card at the pump. Too many issues if their is a problem since they immediately hit my checking account.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh I see. Thanks for the clarification.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The OP is talking about the TSD and Pilot RV cards - there's no preauthorization on those. The TSD card does an ACH directly from your checking account and the Pilot RV card bills you every month from their own system.

For me, "the very best part" of towing with a diesel is the torque. After that come a variety of benefits, including fueling in the truck lanes.

Rob
    I would hazard to guess the transaction fees on credit cards are not really factored into the truck stop business model. Most of their business has to be commercial.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hazard to guess the transaction fees on credit cards are not really factored into the truck stop business model. Most of their business has to be commercial.

In the truck lanes it certainly is - and I agree. With the TSD card, EFS has contracts with the various fuel chains (no longer has one with Pilot/Flying J) for fleet discounts and EFS charges you a small percentage of the discount each time you fuel up. The discount with the TSD card is far better than with the Good Sam Pilot card (sometimes only a nickel a gallon off!). I've quit using Pilot/Flying J unless they're the only thing around within my remaining fuel range and only carry the card so I don't have to go inside if I do have to stop at one.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast