User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    The idea is that you keep Ping-Ponging between the two tanks and you never run out of Propane at 3:30 am (because Propane always runs out in the middle of the night).
    (Tongue in cheek here.) So it's like solar that doesn't work when the sun goes down?

I remember the old days (not good or bad, just old). I have been out, at 02:00 or 03:00 because the dang 20 lb tank ran out. I then got one of those magnetic level indicators; you know the one that you pour hot water on it and watch it to see where the green part of it settles. Yeah, those didn't work worth beans either; had to change a tank in the middle of the night because it ran out, even though the magnet thing said I had a quarter of a tank left.

I finally extended the line and put a pigtail on it leading to the regulator. Worked great! Then ran out of propane in the middle of the night (both bottles were empty) and didn't have a spare... That was fun. NOT!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I open both tank valves and put the selector in the center. It Does use propane in one tank then the other, switching Automatically. I have done this for years with no problems having it switch over.
    Our last trip driver’s side tank ran out overnight and the passenger side picked up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post
    We full time and are going to be leaving the RV for a week for a vacation. It is in the Carolinas and the temps have been around 40 during the day and mid 20s at night. Propane has been lasting 4-5 days max before we have to switch tanks (30lb). We do have tank heaters, and it is 2021 solitude with the insulating layer underneath, but it is not skirted in the location we are right now. With this, and a heated water hose we have had no issues whatsoever, but it is forecasted to get slightly colder this coming week (low of 19).

Things we have read say that pipes can burst and you should winterize, etc.... but how can the pipes burst if we turn the water off and all tanks are drained? Also, how do you “winterize” if you are living in the RV full time? Any help is appreciated.

You have likely read all the posts and there is mainly good advice there. My take on this is rather on the cautious side. This winter in Montreal we have had swings in temperature from -5 C down to - 32 C over a 2 day period. Firstly: Download the manual for your RV...it has instructions on winterizing. Do you have access to an air compressor, you only need 20lbs air pressure really. Don't blast it. Camco has a nice brass fitting that attaches to the compressor. What I have done in old RV, leaving it during freezing weather. Turn off water heater 5-10 hours prior to this. Turn valves to bypass position, drain your water tank by removing the plug and also opening the overpressure valve. When drained, close valve and replace plug. Fill your propane tanks completely (will need propane when you get back), turn the handle to whichever tank you want to drain first. As previously indicated this is an auto switch type valve. No worries as it works automatically based on residual tank pressure on the lead tank. When it is below a threshold, it auto switches to the tank with higher pressure. As long as there is little moisture in your tanks you won't freeze up your regulator.

Pressurize plumbing at water inlet with air. Open each tap, cold then hot and flush out water. Don't forget any exterior ports, shower head etcetera. Open low point, hot & cold as well. De-pressurize system and use the water pump winterizing hose and water pump to run RV antifreeze into the system. Why the air pressure.....I don't dilute the antifreeze with residual water in the lines and use less solution in the process. Add 1/2 to 1 cup in each p-trap.

Disconnect your water hose from tap supply and back flush with compressed air. I always spray a bit of antifreeze in the spigot opening (why...don't know) overkill.

It should be mentioned though...that the tanks contain liquid and dissolved solids that will act to depress the freezing point....called freezing point depression. So it might not be necessary to empty depending on how low the temperatures will go.

If you like....run your furnace at 40 to 50F. I don't bother heating the coach because I don't want to run the gas fired heater unattended. I would feel safer with a ceramic heater set on low just to keep a bit of heat in the RV. Unless you want to keep other items in the RV from freezing, i.e. food bathroom items etcetera....otherwise just crank up the heat when you get back. You could always isolate those items in one area with the small ceramic heater on low. On high it draws near 15 amps and even in my home, the cord heats up a bit at the plug and it is a 20Amp circuit with 20A wiring unlike the RV that has 15 amp wiring.

I don't like using the furnace as I have had a furnace igniter fail before so that is my take on this.

When you get back.....open the bypass valves in your water heater so that water can fill it prior to you turning on the heater. Very important. Hook up your water, ensure your sewer hose is set-up, turn on tap at spigot for a sec and hook up your water hose. Run water through hose to flush, then hook up to RV. At this point, just flush your lines out. The RV antifreeze is non-toxic, so as long as you no longer see red, you are o.k. to drink it. I normally fill a jug of water and use that for a day or so for coffee etcetera. No need to sanitize.

Enjoy your Caribbean vacation.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234