User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I’m camping next to an idler. These are the guys that start their truck in the morning and let it idle for 30 minutes before leaving. This is southern Arizona, it’s not cold out. Why is this encountered so often? A pet peeve of mine.

This time it’s a gasser. Diesels are even worse.

This campground is so quiet except for my neighbors endlessly idling truck. Perhaps we should have a civilized discussion about it.

Sorry for the rant but perhaps this post will change some hearts and minds.
    Gotta let those diesels warm up....oh wait, that was like 20 years ago. I couldn't agree with you more!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about being respectful to others, period. If you own a diesel like I do and don't want to pull out on a cold motor, start it up, idle off and make a loop around the place or take a short cruise if you plan on pulling out really early in the am. Tear down camp and get everything ready to hook up then warm your truck, hook up, and head out. Motor longevity is common sense....let the oil warm up and get circulating, let the head and gasket warm up, let the transmission come up to temp, etc. But that doesn't mean you have to annoy the entire campsite to do it. These folks that start it up the minute they walk outside and let it idle the entire time they tear everything down are annoying. But seriously, where has anyone ever gone in the last 15 years where everyone is courteous? It's a failing art.

Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Gotta let those diesels warm up....oh wait, that was like 20 years ago.
    So....just fire them up, hitch to a 15,000#+ trailer and head out on the highway, huh? No thanks. I'll keep my head gaskets and internal parts internal.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start mine when I'm ready to hitch up (Mine is a gasser). There is no need to let the truck idle beyond the time required to hitch up (unless you're camping on the shoulder of a highway). By the time you slowly drive through the campground to the dump station and out of the park, the truck will be at operating temperature.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the rods out of the CG will determine my warm up. For the most part I only start the truck to hitch and then it's shut off until we are close to leaving. If the roads are flat and it's a ways till I hit the hwy or freeway then I don't worry about a quick warm up.
    If I know I'm hitting the hwy or freeway quickly then I will let it warm for 5+ mins.
    I have a diesel.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    I start mine when I'm ready to hitch up (Mine is a gasser). There is no need to let the truck idle beyond the time required to hitch up (unless you're camping on the shoulder of a highway). By the time you slowly drive through the campground to the dump station and out of the park, the truck will be at operating temperature.
    +1..... the gassers typically, if using stock mufflers, dont make much noise, deisels do. Either way, if one truly wants to be considerate of others, they could drive unhooked out of the campground to ensure a good temp instead of idling in place for a long period of time. But thats takes a mindset and a practice not too common in todays campground experience
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to be courteous to others.....high idle on a cold morning with a 5" Aussie cut stack might be a little much for most folks to tolerate considering the only thing between the turbo and the pipe is a 17" resonator.

LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aussie.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	38584
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The owners manual for my last rig - a Class A with a Cummins said warm up for 3 minutes then go. I would not “go” immediately at 60 mph. It always took a few more minutes to get to a high speed road anyway.

So now I do the same with my Ford. Raises it never a comes up to temps (oil, trans, coolant) until I start moving anyway.

I need to go out a read my owners manual again I guess.

I still think there are a lot of old school folks who still do idle a lot.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 01-19-2022 at 11:52 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    +1..... the gassers typically, if using stock mufflers, dont make much noise, deisels do. Either way, if one truly wants to be considerate of others, they could drive unhooked out of the campground to ensure a good temp instead of idling in place for a long period of time. But thats takes a mindset and a practice not too common in todays campground experience
    While taking a ride out of the campground to warm up your truck may sound like a good idea I wouldn't want to be camped along the main road and have to hear several big diesel trucks running back and forth at 7am every morning as campers come and go. It also a waste of 15-20 minutes of breakdown time, putting away hoses, stabilizer bars, power cords, tank flushing, etc. Those things take long enough to do on departure day so I wouldn't want to add an extra 20 minutes to my routine. My GMC 8.1L gasser isn't loud and seldom runs for more than 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops.....heck it takes 45 minutes of towing just to get the trans temp to 150°.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No diesel has to warm up for 30 minutes. The guy is an inconsiderate ******. I would turn it over to the campground host. Any interaction with people like that can go south in a hurry. The campground host/manager signed up for potential situations like this, you did not.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Perhaps we should have a civilized discussion about it.
    This is where I would start.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast