User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    While taking a ride out of the campground to warm up your truck may sound like a good idea I wouldn't want to be camped along the main road and have to hear several big diesel trucks running back and forth at 7am every morning as campers come and go. It also a waste of 15-20 minutes of breakdown time, putting away hoses, stabilizer bars, power cords, tank flushing, etc. Those things take long enough to do on departure day so I wouldn't want to add an extra 20 minutes to my routine. My GMC 8.1L gasser isn't loud and seldom runs for more than 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops.....heck it takes 45 minutes of towing just to get the trans temp to 150°.
    Not sure driving next to a campground really matters... most are near airports, train tracks, and or highways....LOL.

As for departure prep, I try to do everything but electric the night before that way I can double check the prep and then focus on the drive home. My 6.2 gasser warms up for about 5 minutes before we go... still fairly cold till we hit highway speeds with tow.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    +1..... the gassers typically, if using stock mufflers, dont make much noise, deisels do.
    Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't think my Cummins is loud? Pre high pressure fuel rail diesels are very loud. Like pistons swapping cylinders kind of loud.
    I will idle about 5minutes in the summer. In the winter here when it is -20, I'll go 10 to 15 minutes.
    I was in a hurry a week or so ago and went to leave after only a minute. When I put it in gear, The screen in the truck said the engine will be in reduced power mode during warmup.
    So it tells me if I leave too soon.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    No diesel has to warm up for 30 minutes. The guy is an inconsiderate ******. I would turn it over to the campground host. Any interaction with people like that can go south in a hurry. The campground host/manager signed up for potential situations like this, you did not.
    Mine takes 30 minutes. Oh wait, that’s to warm up the cabin. I let mine stay on while I hitch, put the cord away and take out the chocks. If I was really concerned about warming the engine I’d plug in the block heater at night. Meanwhile, we drive slow until the high way with seat heaters on. In 30 minutes we are warm and toasty.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At our sticks & brick we have a neighbor behind us that has a mustang that he revs the engine for 30 minutes like he is tuning it, then when he leaves he does a few donuts. Talk about being annoying!
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neighbor’s Endlessly Idling Truck

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    At our sticks & brick we have a neighbor behind us that has a mustang that he revs the engine for 30 minutes like he is tuning it, then when he leaves he does a few donuts. Talk about being annoying!
    Mark
    I have a neighbor like that. Every day, 7 days a week this guy is in his garage cutting grinding sawing air hoses etc. very annoying when we try to entertain as his garage is just in the other side of the separating wall. Every other week he runs all his cars. He has three trucks, a vette, and three Old fords (Model T and Model A). My house smells like exhaust and feels like living next to a shop. We have talked to him and he is not going to change.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    Mark
    Yea... we got a neighbor with loud exhaust that fires up every morning at 5:15 am during the week on the way to work. We live 3 houses away and its still wakes DW up. His next door neighbor has little ones (under 5) and they are up an atom soon as he fires it up...... I bet his wife is happy. LOL.

Good thing is he doesn't let it idle for more than maybe a few minutes before leaving. I guess we should be happy he doesn't have cutouts.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The time it takes to buckle the seat belt is enough warm up time for me and any vehicle I've owned. The exception might be when the ice on the windshield is too thick to scrape off. Then it needs some defroster help.
    Otherwise, it's start and go.
    Then I'm at putt putt speed until the coolant temp hits 140 F.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    The time it takes to buckle the seat belt is enough warm up time for me and any vehicle I've owned. The exception might be when the ice on the windshield is too thick to scrape off. Then it needs some defroster help.
    Otherwise, it's start and go.
    Then I'm at putt putt speed until the coolant temp hits 140 F.
    That is the best way to do it. The oil pump pumps a lot more volume when the idle comes up just a little bit. That lubricates the engine a lot better than it does at an idle.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time I jockey the truck around to get it in place to hitch up, I think is should be sufficiently warm.
    The only real requirement at least for a gasser is time for the engine to get the oil circulating, which is around 20 seconds.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update from the OP. Turns out my long engine idling neighbor has a newborn infant. Everyone loves a new baby. So. Go ahead and warm up the truck. I’ll deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast