User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery maintenance

During the winter months my trailer is in my driveway connected to 120v shore power. I have a group 27 lead acid battery that is charged by a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage converter/charger. The charger floats at 13.2vdc, then increases to 14.4vdc for 15 minutes once a day to prevent sulfation.

My question is, assuming I check the battery fluid every now and then, am I maintaining for maximum battery life this way, or would I be better off just bringing the battery inside during the non-use winter period? Or, just disconnecting the battery and leave in trailer? Temps where I live are pretty moderate during the cold months, seldom getting below freezing.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    During the winter months my trailer is in my driveway connected to 120v shore power. I have a group 27 lead acid battery that is charged by a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage converter/charger. The charger floats at 13.2vdc, then increases to 14.4vdc for 15 minutes once a day to prevent sulfation.

My question is, assuming I check the battery fluid every now and then, am I maintaining for maximum battery life this way, or would I be better off just bringing the battery inside during the non-use winter period? Or, just disconnecting the battery and leave in trailer? Temps where I live are pretty moderate during the cold months, seldom getting below freezing.
    I bring my battery inside and it holds the charge all winter with no charger, but I'm from PA which can be a little colder
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A low-Amp, smart charger/maintainer is the better way with automatic desulf cycle. When in storage this way, do store where the temperature will be as consistent as possible. Basement floor on top of a pallet is what I do for a lot of my batteries for winter. However, I find that standard cells in campers are only good for a few seasons regardless since the huge temperature swings they see in-service and common occasion for discharge in excess of battery health. Thus, it may not really provide much benefit in the larger consideration.
    Last edited by geotex1; 01-18-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The grand debate. Many do as you do, and are happy with it. The equipment you are using and the methods are right on.

I, however, am of the school of "just charge and forget it".
    Per many authoritative sources on the web (yeah, I know...) while flooded batteries do discharge themselves over time, it usually is a pretty slow process. The warmer the faster.
    Here's one chart, from a manufacturer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	38560

As you can see, if the temp averages 68F (average, not peak), one can go 12 months before they discharge to the nominal 50% point of needing a recharge. Much, much longer if colder. Only 4-5 mos. maybe in Texas in the summer!

The important points:
    1. Must be in good condition to start.
    2. Must be fully charged and topped off to start.
    3. Must be completely disconnected, to avoid any chance of other draw down.
    4. Fully charged batteries don't freeze until -74F, so no worries there, unless you live in the Artic or Siberia!

Many believe you cannot store on cement floors, and they must be separated from same by wood or other. To-date, I've never seen any hard sources that demonstrate that claim.

Many, many of us in Minn. leave out batteries in our boats all winter, as well as our RV's.
    I've never been below 90% SOC after 7 mos. of storage. And the one that went for over a year was still at 85%.

Discharging to low levels, overcharging, or running them dry are the primary causes of battery death.

Currently I have 4 that are going on year 6, and 2 going on year 12 (!) So yeah, I might be due for replacement soon, but only due to age, not mistreatment.

It sure is nice to not have to uninstall/install/lug them around. Or worry about maintenance regimes/ periodic checking on them!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    A low-Amp, smart charger/maintainer is the better way with automatic desulf cycle. When in storage this way, do so where as temperature will be as consistent as possible. Basement floor on top of a pallet. However, I find that standard cells in campers are only good for a few seasons since the huge temperature swings they see in-service and common occasion for discharge in excess of battery health.
    I have a Battery Minder that I could do that with but what advantage does that offer over a quality charger like the Progressive Dynamics, and not having to take the battery out of the trailer? I would never leave in trailer with a OEM WFCO charger. And I agree on average battery life, especially with the summer heat here in Texas.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    The grand debate. Many do as you do, and are happy with it. The equipment you are using and the methods are right on.

I, however, am of the school of "just charge and forget it".
    Per many authoritative sources on the web (yeah, I know...) while flooded batteries do discharge themselves over time, it usually is a pretty slow process. The warmer the faster.
    Here's one chart, from a manufacturer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	38560

As you can see, if the temp averages 68F (average, not peak), one can go 12 months before they discharge to the nominal 50% point of needing a recharge. Much, much longer if colder. Only 4-5 mos. maybe in Texas in the summer!

The important points:
    1. Must be in good condition to start.
    2. Must be fully charged and topped off to start.
    3. Must be completely disconnected, to avoid any chance of other draw down.
    4. Fully charged batteries don't freeze until -74F, so no worries there, unless you live in the Artic or Siberia!

Many believe you cannot store on cement floors, and they must be separated from same by wood or other. To-date, I've never seen any hard sources that demonstrate that claim.

Many, many of us in Minn. leave out batteries in our boats all winter, as well as our RV's.
    I've never been below 90% SOC after 7 mos. of storage. And the one that went for over a year was still at 85%.

Discharging to low levels, overcharging, or running them dry are the primary causes of battery death.

Currently I have 4 that are going on year 6, and 2 going on year 12 (!) So yeah, I might be due for replacement soon, but only due to age, not mistreatment.

It sure is nice to not have to uninstall/install/lug them around. Or worry about maintenance regimes/ periodic checking on them!

Yes, I've seen that chart. I leave my fridge running year around, so I could leave 120vac shore power on, and disconnect the battery after fully charging it. I just keep thinking the daily charge that desulfinates provides a benefit.

All this is really academic because at the low cost of these batteries, and as mentioned above the 3-4 year life cycle, there is not much savings involved. I doubt with the summer heat we get vs. that in Minn there is no way I'm going to get 6 years out of a LA battery.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... I doubt with the summer heat we get vs. that in Minn there is no way I'm going to get 6 years out of a LA battery.
    May be very true! Heat, whether outside temp or generated by charging/overcharging is the worst enemy of battery life!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Battery Minder that I could do that with but what advantage does that offer over a quality charger like the Progressive Dynamics, and not having to take the battery out of the trailer? I would never leave in trailer with a OEM WFCO charger. And I agree on average battery life, especially with the summer heat here in Texas.
    Depends on the PD's behavior. Maintaining at trickle level is less abusive and more prolonging. Desulf also a key benefit to prolonging life. For instance, my hot rods each live the winter in the garage, batteries in, and all have a NOCO Genius in them to maintain the batteries and before some on Battery Minder. Some of those are running a decade old battery turning a high demand starter to fire up carbed big blocks... So, consistent temperature, proper water level, and maintaining charge level - just good care. I agree, the basic WFCO is not an implement of good care... Heck, if lifting the cells out is unattractive, better off disconnecting the house battery from the WFCO and putting a NOCO Genius on it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charge the battery and disconnect the leads and leave it. I had boats in Connecticut for 30 years and always did that for the winter. Charge them up again in the spring. The batteries lasted 7 years on the average which is excellent life.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments. Think I'll try an experiment. Measure voltage and specific gravity, and then disconnect the battery. I'll be using the trailer in April, so before re-connecting the battery I'll take the same measurements and see what it looks like. I certainly agree, more batteries have died from over-charging and letting cells run dry than anything else.
    2020 Reflection 273MK