Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Truck

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Truck

I'm getting ready to order a '22 Dodge Ram 2500 to replace my '02 Dodge 2500. Love my old truck but we went with a new Reflection 303 and it has a little trouble pulling it. So, I have no idea on what hitch to buy. My old truck had a long bed but I'm going with the 6'4" bed in my new truck. I am going to order the puck system but have no idea about buying a hitch. They are trying to sell me the Mopar hitch but not sure if I need a slide hitch or not. Any and all info will be helpful.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that Curt makes the Mopar hitch. I’ve been using a Curt Q25 for 5 years without a problem. Bought mine from E-Trailer.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks but my main question is whether I need a sliding hitch or not. After doing some research it seems that the best way to go is buy either an auto slide hitch or a manual sliding hitch. Which do you have? We've been RVing for almost 20 years and I had friends who have a short beds and they seemed to have trouble at times hooking up. I never worried about their problems because I had a long bed. But now I'd wished I would have paid attention to their problems.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been having a ram SB most of my life, well, ever since I have been buying trucks I have had on my first 5th wheel a B&W slider but while I had it I never use it, only to just try it out so I said that I really don't need a slider because I have never use it. So, I bought a B&W non-slider, and it was great, I have never gotten myself into a tight situation that I had to use one and if I was ever in a tight situation I will go out and try again.

So on my last hitch with my SB I bought a PullRite Superlite #2600 that will hitch up to a gooseneck ball I had never gotten into those situation where I needed a slider. So but now I bought a 2022 CCLB so I don't have to worry about that.

On the 303RLS it seem that the front cap is so that you will be able to turn, maybe not 90% turns but probably 80% which is enough for me. Now some would say a piece of mind, and I get that but you have to feel comfortable yourself that you can get by using a non-slider hitch.

So, I take it that you are ordering one with the Gooseneck prep package? If you haven't order it yet, have you thought about just skip the 2500 and going with the 3500 for future bigger 5th wheel?

Here are some pics of mines non-slider hitch with a SB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3063.jpg   DSC_0293.jpg   DSCN3061.jpg   DSCN3072.jpg   DSCN3067.jpg  

2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3356.jpg   DSCN3362.jpg   DSCN3367.jpg   DSCN3395.jpg   DSCN3399.jpg  

2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two more, so you can see that it can be done but many people don't feel comfortable using a non-slider hitch with a SB you just have to be careful in tight spots and if you camp in some of these State Parks, they can be very tight and also you can see that the front cap is about the same as my Jayco Eagle front cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3397.jpg   DSCN3398.jpg   DSCN3394.jpg  
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On flat land making that turn is one thing. What happens when there's a little slope. That's where you read of people blowing out their rear windows because of the angle. Example - the truck is on a flat spot and the trailer is on a slope.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-19-2022 at 05:16 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    On flat land making that turn is one thing. What happens when there's a little slope. That's where you read of people blowing out their rear windows because of the angle. Example - the truck is on a flat spot and the trailer is on a slope.
    We’ve been towing with a Ford F-350 Short Bed for 5 years. Have been using an Andersen hitch which we love. I can get 75 degrees turn before contacting the truck BUT once we took at the rear window on unlevel ground.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Spartacus, take a serious look at the 3500, very little cost difference. I am in same position as you, getting ready to order a new truck, and after looking at all the numbers, have determined 3500 is the way to go. The 2500's payload gets severely compromised as soon as you add diesel engine and a few options.
    Your 303 is heavier than our 295...I think it's a pretty safe bet that the 303 along with your cargo and passengers will exceed the payload of a 2500, unless you are going with the 6.4 Hemi, then you might be ok.
    Last edited by luvmyrv; 01-19-2022 at 06:52 AM.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Sidewinder pin box on my trailer with my short bed. My driveway is about 7* uphill from the road, and with the road being small, I end up usually 75* or more turn angle. Would a non slider, or rotating pin box work, maybe, but not worth it to me. The street out of my sub-division has a pretty good angle going out to the main road also. If everything was level, or I had a long bed, I would have a gooseneck hitch on the trailer.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast