Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this highway OK?

I'm planning a trip the the Utah National Parks. Part of the trip uses highway 24 from near Green River Utah to Torrey Utah where we will spend a couple of nights and visit Capital Reef National Park. Then it's on to Kingston Utah where it connects with highway 89. Just from looking at the map it looks like some of that route goes through some pretty winding parts. I have a pretty small travel trailer and have been on winding roads before but I would like to hear from others who have been on highway 24 in this area and what they think.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's OK as far as Torrey going west, but you can't get out of Torrey going west without encountering 8 - 14% grades (most short). It's two-lane with climbing lanes in some places. I would suggest investing in the Mountain Directory West. You can get printed books, apps for phones, or an ebook for the laptop (which is what I use):

https://mountaindirectory.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It's OK as far as Torrey going west, but you can't get out of Torrey going west without encountering 8 - 14% grades (most short). It's two-lane with climbing lanes in some places. I would suggest investing in the Mountain Directory West. You can get printed books, apps for phones, or an ebook for the laptop (which is what I use):

https://mountaindirectory.com/

Rob
    +1 on the Mountain Directory. I bought it last year and used it when we went out West this past September. It's awesome to have.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a map nerd as I am, USGS topographic maps can be had for free via PDF. You'll be able to see the grades. If you are savvy, you can insert them to Google Earth and view as well. Go really over the top you can use QGIS or any ARCGIS-viewer and import the data files for dynamic interaction.

It's not that I'm cheap, I study a variety of maps for travels because they often set destinations...

If you prefer no-brainer avoidance of challenges, Sygic Truck app will handle it for you.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did this in the opposite direction in march of 2021 with our imagine 2500rl and had no issues. There are some good grades and high elevations but we handled it fine. At that time of year we were driving in snowstorms too so it was a bit sketchy for that reason but the drive was so pretty id do it again in a heartbeat. I remember pulling over at one of the summits (over 10k if memory serves) when the truck indicated the outside temperature was 19 deg f so that we could run the heater in the rig for 30 minutes to hopefully avoid freezing pipes. Not sure if that helped but we didnt have any problems so maybe...

I strongly recommend this drive its fantastic. If you can get into kodachrome state park that is beautiful too. Also goblin valley worth a visit if possible.

Good luck,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I'm planning a trip the the Utah National Parks. Part of the trip uses highway 24 from near Green River Utah to Torrey Utah where we will spend a couple of nights and visit Capital Reef National Park. Then it's on to Kingston Utah where it connects with highway 89. Just from looking at the map it looks like some of that route goes through some pretty winding parts. I have a pretty small travel trailer and have been on winding roads before but I would like to hear from others who have been on highway 24 in this area and what they think.
    Last edited by rmcrowe; 01-20-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I know there have been a few of the youtube rv channels that explore this highway - I want to say grand adventure might be one. You might try a search on youtube if you want a visual of what it looks like.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last trip in that area was with a 32' TT. Zero towing problems and loved every moment. Started in Green river then to Goblin Valley, Torrey, Escalante, Bryce Canyon and back. Stopped at Ray's Tavern in Green River going and coming back. One of the best cheeseburgers you'll ever find (so says Sunset Magazine). I've been going there since a river trip in '82 and never disappointed. Order an Evolution Amber Ale. Perfect pairing! Have a great trip in that jaw-droppingly beautiful part of the world.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who replied. I did buy the Mountain Directory West. While I won't change my route I will now know what to expect. This trip will definitely test my truck and my driving skill.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coastn View Post
    Order an Evolution Amber Ale. Perfect pairing! Have a great trip in that jaw-droppingly beautiful part of the world.
    For health reasons my wife and I are both vegetarians so I will pass on the burger but the amber ale sounds good.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray's also has good basic salads. We often order a side salad instead of fries with the burger. Something for everyone! Not to worry about your truck. I was towing the 32 footer with a Tundra at the time.
    Last edited by coastn; 01-23-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box