Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to drain the Suburban hot water heater in a Momentum G21

In looking through all of my paper work, I simply can not find any step by step instructions on how to drain the hot water heater for winterization. Seems as though the two "instruction" books each thought the other one would cover it. Looking for step by step.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to bypass the HW tank either via the Nautilus system or with the bypass valves behind the HW tank depending on which system you have. Then turn off the breaker, then remove the lower plug from the outside and let it drain. You can open the pressure release valve on top to help with the draining or open a tap inside. Once drained, close the pressure release valve and screw in that plug back which might have an anode. I highly recommend not putting antifreeze in the hw tank as it takes a lot of flushes to get that taste out.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ynot. Here's what my book says: " IMPORTANT!!! MAKE SURE YOU BY-PASS YOUR WATER HEATER IF YOUR UNIT REQUIRES IT. CONTACT YOUR RV MANUFACTURER FOR MORE INFORMATION." WOW! THAT REALLY HELPS. YOUR INPUT DOES HELP. TKS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure which system you have. If its the valve system, this will help. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	af10d37f73180c914ff9a166c7824310--th-wheel-camper-th-wheels.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	38586

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ynot4me2 got you covered. When we had our Imagine the bypass valves were as above right at the water heater. On our Solitude with the Nautilus system its the Red valve.
    With the Imagine , after bypassing, I would take the plastic plug out of the unit, stand back and let it drain. It did not have an anode rod.
    With the Solitude I open the high pressure valve and the low point drains and let her run till empty and then take out the anode rod and inspect and rinse out the heater to get the sediment out. The anode rod is the tank drain plug. Now that we are fulltime its always in use but every 6 months or so (depending on water quality) I pull the anode rod, inspect and clean out the tank with a wand connected to a water hose.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming your Momentum has a panel similar to my Solitude. Mine has a WINTERIZATION setting; this is the by-pass.

I do exactly as Steve mentions above; I have a Suburban, and I have an anode rode that is the plug. As Steve mentions, I open the low point drains and the pressure valve on the heater first. One other note, be CERTAIN to shut off power to the unit. With no water in the unit, the electrical heating element will be destroyed in seconds if you forget and leave power on. Yes I know this first hand. Good news is that the element is cheap and very easy to install.

All that said; once you begin pumping in the antifreeze, in the WINTERIZATION setting, you are by-passing the WH. I take less then 3 gallons to do my unit and that includes cycling the washing machine.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    You need to bypass the HW tank either via the Nautilus system or with the bypass valves behind the HW tank depending on which system you have. Then turn off the breaker, then remove the lower plug from the outside and let it drain. You can open the pressure release valve on top to help with the draining or open a tap inside. Once drained, close the pressure release valve and screw in that plug back which might have an anode. I highly recommend not putting antifreeze in the hw tank as it takes a lot of flushes to get that taste out.

Good advice. Kind of off topic, but through the years I've been told not to routinely open and close the high pressure valve on a water heater, both RV and residential. Reason being is that they could potentially start leaking. I guess this could happen if the valve seats were aging or if a small particle got caught in the seat. Personally I don't have a clue if this is an issue or not.

In the trailer I have found that all opening the valve does is allow faster draining of the tank, and can also be accomplished by opening any hot water faucet.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening a hot water faucet shouldn't enable faster draining of the hot water tank, due to the check valve that should be installed at the outlet from the water heater tank. Just an FYI.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's input. Being a newbie, I guess the term "bypass the water heater" needed a better explanation. The drawings clarified it a bunch! Basically, you are just eliminating the water heater from the rest of the piping. In other words, everything else "plumbing" will continue to function........., just not the water heater. Now, I got it!! Thanks again