User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2600RB delivered today, yaay. Super weak brakes, boooo.

We purchased our new 2022 2600RB out of state and it was delivered to my house today. We'd done a full inspection on the lot at the dealership, but didn't tow it obviously. It made a pretty long trek to get to our house in Arizona and arrived this morning. I got right to work installing my ProPride hitch and setting up for the first tow (around the block). I have a Tekonsha P3, which I know works since I towed a rental RV with it a few weeks ago and had great braking.

On our new trailer, it doesn't matter if I set the gain to 5 or MAX, the braking force if I actuate via the controller is the same (weak). I did install a 7 pin extension to work with the ProPride, but I've verified I'm getting 14v max to the brake output on the extension so I don't think it's a supply problem. I didn't go further back with the multimeter since I couldn't see a way to get a probe into the sealed blue wire junction inside the junction box.

I jacked up each wheel and gave the star adjuster on each a few spins until I felt a bit of drag on each wheel, but that also doesn't seem to have helped. Haven't pulled off a hub yet to see if Lippert over-greased the axles (I'm reading that is a problem that was supposedly addressed back in 2017 already).

Any thoughts? Yeah, I could pull it to the nearest dealer for warranty, but I don't feel like towing it without working brakes... The transport driver said he didn't notice the brakes not working, but he was driving a 3500 Dually Duramax, so "he couldn't even tell it was back there" for realsies.

I've never worked with drum brakes before. My 2001 Malibu boat trailer has disc brakes... kinda wish my new TT did too (it's on the wish list).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2600RB delivered today, yaay. Super weak brakes, boooo.

Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    We purchased our new 2022 2600RB out of state and it was delivered to my house today. We'd done a full inspection on the lot at the dealership, but didn't tow it obviously. It made a pretty long trek to get to our house in Arizona and arrived this morning. I got right to work installing my ProPride hitch and setting up for the first tow (around the block). I have a Tekonsha P3, which I know works since I towed a rental RV with it a few weeks ago and had great braking.

On our new trailer, it doesn't matter if I set the gain to 5 or MAX, the braking force if I actuate via the controller is the same (weak). I did install a 7 pin extension to work with the ProPride, but I've verified I'm getting 14v max to the brake output on the extension so I don't think it's a supply problem. I didn't go further back with the multimeter since I couldn't see a way to get a probe into the sealed blue wire junction inside the junction box.

I jacked up each wheel and gave the star adjuster on each a few spins until I felt a bit of drag on each wheel, but that also doesn't seem to have helped. Haven't pulled off a hub yet to see if Lippert over-greased the axles (I'm reading that is a problem that was supposedly addressed back in 2017 already).

Any thoughts? Yeah, I could pull it to the nearest dealer for warranty, but I don't feel like towing it without working brakes... The transport driver said he didn't notice the brakes not working, but he was driving a 3500 Dually Duramax, so "he couldn't even tell it was back there" for realsies.

I've never worked with drum brakes before. My 2001 Malibu boat trailer has disc brakes... kinda wish my new TT did too (it's on the wish list).
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the group!

Your brakes are electric. You verified voltage at the end of your 7 pin.

I would inspect the wires at each wheel to ensure everything is plugged in and no damage and you are getting voltage to the brakes at each wheel and are actuating.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 01-19-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No time like the present to learn about your brakes! Truly, a bearing services and brake inspection is a good idea after 1) the unit was transported from factory by transporter that is motivated by speed, not care, and 2) delivered to your from dealer by transporter motivated by speed, not care... So, Red gave you good advice, and I am strongly recommending going a step further.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue with my 2020 21bhe. The dealer eventually figured out the rear axle brake wiring was never connected by the factory. Amazing how much better the brakes worked when all 4 wheels had working brakes!

I finally converted over to disc brakes last year. Night and day difference even when all 4 drum brakes worked. I will never again own a trailer with drum brakes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2022 2600RB also had "no brakes" initially. It's a Lippert axle.
    I've since adjusted them 3 times and they are almost where they need to be.

Disappointing as the 2021 I had came with excellent braking when new. It was a Dexter axle.

Maybe that's the difference.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, you've given me a lot to go on. I need to get this sorted by March when we start camping. It's no fun panic braking with the ProPride if you have no trailer brakes to help out. That clunk is real.

Forgot to add, I can hear an audible buzz from each wheel if I have the system energized so I think the magnets are all getting current. Will still inspect that wiring but I gave it a cursory glance while I was under there tightening the drums and it looked OK I think.
    Last edited by uwskier; 01-20-2022 at 07:25 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do the brakes actually get used when delivered? If the TT left Elkhart and stayed on the interstate the whole time then brake applications were at a minimum. It takes time to seat the brakes. I would give it a test run and hit the brakes a lot during it. If that doesn't do it then a tear down would be next.
    FWIW I haven't read about blown seals for quite a while on brand forums so I'm thinking Lippert and Dexter rectified the issue?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    How much do the brakes actually get used when delivered? If the TT left Elkhart and stayed on the interstate the whole time then brake applications were at a minimum. It takes time to seat the brakes. I would give it a test run and hit the brakes a lot during it. If that doesn't do it then a tear down would be next.
    FWIW I haven't read about blown seals for quite a while on brand forums so I'm thinking Lippert and Dexter rectified the issue?
    Considering this one went over several mountain passes on its way to the Phoenix metro from the midwest, I suspect it was braking a bit, however the engine braking in the delivery TV probably took care of 90% of that.

I'm going to test out the voltages as close to the hubs as possible without disassembling them, tightening them until I can't spin the wheels, then backing off (I just tightened until I felt drag, didn't go all the way to full lock then back off), and then going out on a burnishing ride where I'll perform several brake applications while maintaining speed with the TV to build up some good heat in the system. Will tackle that this weekend I think and report back.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Considering this one went over several mountain passes on its way to the Phoenix metro from the midwest, I suspect it was braking a bit, however the engine braking in the delivery TV probably took care of 90% of that.

I'm going to test out the voltages as close to the hubs as possible without disassembling them, tightening them until I can't spin the wheels, then backing off (I just tightened until I felt drag, didn't go all the way to full lock then back off), and then going out on a burnishing ride where I'll perform several brake applications while maintaining speed with the TV to build up some good heat in the system. Will tackle that this weekend I think and report back.

Like others, I had same problem with 2020 Reflection. Since you are hearing breaks activating I'd sure recommend pulling a hub and checking for grease in the assembly. Also as @geotex1 said, you need to know what the brake assembly looks like before you have an issue on the road.

After getting my original grease soaked hubs replaced, it still took about 1K miles for the brakes to seat completely. Now everything is fine.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice above. I will note that on my older trailer I upgraded to the Lippert forward self-adjusting brakes, which were just starting to show up on Imagines at the time (and I missed the change over by a month!) Yours likely has those. It took almost 1,000 miles for the brakes to seat well and "self-adjust" to give good braking.
    Last spring, the brakes went out while on a long trip. Turned out to be a wire short where the wire passes through the axle from one side to another. Pain as it is, time to get out the volt meter, and verify that each brake is really getting full voltage....

Since this is still under warranty, you can call Grand Design to authorize a mobile tech come out to inspect/correct. You will have to pay the trip charge, but they will cover everything else. Or contact a nearby GD dealer for warranty work - but that is a crap shoot whether they will take you, or how long they will dawdle getting the work done....
    Last edited by sande005; 01-20-2022 at 05:05 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast