User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold Refrigerator

Our Norcold, double wide refrigerator has a puddle of water under it every morning. The manual does not address this issue at all. Can any of you help us out here? We don't know what to do next. Thanks.
    test

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you opened the vent on the side of the camper and checked to see that the drain hole to the outside isn’t blocked?
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a tray at the back of the fridge on the inside that collects condensation from the cooling fins. From there, there is a drain tube that goes to the outside through the back and into an evaporation cup (you can access this by removing the lower refrigerator louvre on the outside). There are several things that can go wrong here: 1) ice can form in the collection tray in the fridge and block drainage (fridge too cold), 2) the drain tube has come loose from the bottom of the collection tray on the inside of the fridge, or 3) the outside end of the drain tube has been clogged up with algae growth. Check all three of these things.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There is a tray at the back of the fridge on the inside that collects condensation from the cooling fins. From there, there is a drain tube that goes to the outside through the back and into an evaporation cup (you can access this by removing the lower refrigerator louvre on the outside). There are several things that can go wrong here: 1) ice can form in the collection tray in the fridge and block drainage (fridge too cold), 2) the drain tube has come loose from the bottom of the collection tray on the inside of the fridge, or 3) the outside end of the drain tube has been clogged up with algae growth. Check all three of these things.

Rob
    I had issues with mine. In addition to the above, the drip tray may not be sitting properly flush against the back wall. Run a piece of clear plastic tape to adhere it to the back wall if it is loose.

Having said that, check your door flapper...the black plastic flapper between the doors. This provides a seal and if this does not shut properly then you will have water on the floor from condensation. Also, that door flapper contains a heater to prevent condensation from forming. My flapper heater was bad and had to be replaced.

There are a host of threads about fine tuning these rather poorly produced fridges.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help everyone. We think the tray inside the frig was out of alignment. However, when we looked outside, we couldn't see any sign of a drain tube so I guess that area could still be an issue. We've had no puddle in front of the frig this morning.
    test

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR650goldwing View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. We think the tray inside the frig was out of alignment. However, when we looked outside, we couldn't see any sign of a drain tube so I guess that area could still be an issue. We've had no puddle in front of the frig this morning.
    The bottom left of the drain tray should have a hose connected that goes right out through the back wall of the fridge Norcold runs the drain tube to a small black catch basin in the back compartment. If you don't have that hose, you are going to be very wet inside the fridge as it defrosts the fins every couple of days.

The problem with their design is that when you move, that water in the catch basin slops around. Also, the hose is prone to plugging from algae because the tip just sits in water. I added a length to my hose and ran it directly out the vent door. I also removed the restricter from the end and replaced it with a one way valve. Water comes out, but no warm air or crawlies go in. Inexpensive plastic one way valves are available at Amazon etc. Works perfectly.

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke too soon. This problem is still a problem same as before. The tray fills up with ice and then water spills over and lands on the floor. The back of the tray is definitely lined up with the outlet tube.
    When we open the outside access to the back of the frig, we can see no drain tube/hose etc. We can see nothing that looks like some kind of drain. Short of pulling the refrigerator out of the trailer and getting behind it, we don't know what to do next. Does anyone have a good idea how we ought to proceed?
    test

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke too soon. This problem is still a problem same as before. The tray fills up with ice and then water spills over and lands on the floor. The back of the tray is definitely lined up with the outlet tube.
    When we open the outside access to the back of the frig, we can see no drain tube/hose etc. We can see nothing that looks like some kind of drain. Short of pulling the refrigerator out of the trailer and getting behind it, we don't know what to do next. Does anyone have a good idea how we ought to proceed?
    Two photos from my modified Norcold 2118. The first shows the interior drain hose (which I changed out) and the same hose exiting in the back. Yours will terminate in the black cup. If you can see it on the inside but not the outside, then you need to look up into the back and pull that hose out from wherever it is hung up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220203_132917300.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	38811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220203_133040033.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	38812

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. Our setup looks a little bit different. On ours, the drain from the tray is in the back wall of the frig. On the back of the tray a small circular shape is cast right into the tray. That circular shape aligns with a hole in the back wall of the frig. We have no tube visible inside the frig. So we have nothing to get a hold on to pull out etc.
    The total drain system is in the back wall of our frig. Currently, we are having severe weather so as soon as that breaks I'll go outside and try to find the terminating cup for the water. If I can find the cup I ought to be able to find the tube and see what's going on there. I'll let you know.
    test

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. Our setup looks a little bit different. On ours, the drain from the tray is in the back wall of the frig. On the back of the tray a small circular shape is cast right into the tray. That circular shape aligns with a hole in the back wall of the frig. We have no tube visible inside the frig. So we have nothing to get a hold on to pull out etc.
    The total drain system is in the back wall of our frig. Currently, we are having severe weather so as soon as that breaks I'll go outside and try to find the terminating cup for the water. If I can find the cup I ought to be able to find the tube and see what's going on there. I'll let you know.
    If it's there and still not draining, there is usually a lille plastic plug with weep holes at the termination of any fridge drain hose. They gunk up frequently...just pull it out and clean it. I got rid of mine and put in a one way valve.

I seem to recall sone fridge models that drain out through the belly of the trailer. You might want to look up a parts breakout for your model.

It sure sounds like something is clogged or blocked. Hope this helps.

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast