User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifth Wheel Newbie

We just purchased a 2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD and will be using the Andersen Ultimate Connection. Our TV is a Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins. We are switching from a 29’ travel trailer that has served us well for the last 3 years, but the towing experience has been a little touchy at times, especially in windy conditions. I know fifth wheels are generally easier and safer to pull. What else can I expect from the changeover?

We do our PDI and walk-through next Tuesday and I was wondering is there anything specific to this model that I need to be on the lookout for.
    Last edited by MarkMc; 01-20-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    2014 RAM 2500 HD w/6.7 Cummins HO
    2022 GD Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Connection hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
    We just purchased a 2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD and will be using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. Our TV is a Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins. We are switching from a 29’ travel trailer that has served us well for the last 3 years, but the towing experience has been a little touchy at times, especially in windy conditions. I know fifth wheels are generally easier and safer to pull. What else can I expect from the changeover?

We do our PDI and walk-through next Tuesday and I was wondering is there anything specific to this model that I need to be on the lookout for.
    Welcome to the forum and to a fiver. Besides more stability in the wind my fivers always get better fuel economy than my travel trailers did. I think that's due to the fiver being tucked up close to the cab of the truck. The fiver and travel trailer track different on turns and backing a fiver doesn't respond as quick to changes as a travel trailer does.
    I suggest take the fiver to an empty parking lot and practice backing, etc
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might also look at 10 ply tires and dual path airbags on the TV if you don't already have them. The airbags make a big difference in leveling the truck to trailer and the 10 ply tires help out with tracking on bad rutted highway or windy conditions when towing.

As for the 5r...would consider toppers on slide outs.

The parking lot practice is a good idea to get the feel of the 5r. Rear camera on trailer could be useful as well..
    Last edited by trailrydr; 01-20-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
    We just purchased a 2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD and will be using the Andersen Ultimate Connection. Our TV is a Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins. We are switching from a 29’ travel trailer that has served us well for the last 3 years, but the towing experience has been a little touchy at times, especially in windy conditions. I know fifth wheels are generally easier and safer to pull. What else can I expect from the changeover?

If you've got 3 years experience towing that 29ft trailer I think you're going to love the fifth wheel. We originally went from a 19ft trailer to a 31ft 5'er and the difference in towing was significantly improved even with so much more length and weight.

Yes, backing into a camp site will take getting used to. I pull pretty far forward of my site to give the back end time to start making the turn before the wheels are even at the beginning of the space.

Regards the 260RD - we just brought ours home a month ago but haven't used it yet. The biggest post PDI issue I've noticed so far is that the front edge of the slide (the edge in front of the couch) sags in the middle just enough that the slide flooring (plywood?) touches the linoleum during the last foot of retraction or so. With the slide all the way in, most of it doesn't touch the linoleum. As it shouldn't. But about 1-2 ft of the one in mine does. I can't imagine that won't quickly wear a hole in the linoleum. My first warranty appointment with the dealer isn't until early Feb so I don't know yet what their suggested fix will be. I doubt the slide can be adjusted upwards within the wall opening. Maybe the floor can be supported with something to stop the sag?

I have also found a handful of broken screws. I wouldn't have found those if I hadn't literally tapped on every screw head with my fingers. The heads are still there, so you wouldn't know they were broken.

Good luck with your PDI and have fun with the new 5th wheel! If it doesn't snow again soon I hope to get my maiden voyage completed in the new 260RD. We sold a 31ft fifth wheel we've had for 18 years, so the complexities of all the technology in this new rig is making me feel like a newbie again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a 30' travel trailer to a 36' 5th wheel. First is find a parking lot and practice, see how it reacts. The 5th will track on the inside of your turn, a lot more the the TT. Backing up is easier, the 5th is not as "frisky". I mean that as the 5th is slower to respond, but once it does, it is quick. What I like best, is if you need to pull forward when you are backing into a spot, the 5th will straighten out faster then the TT. Instead of maybe pulling forward 10' with the TT, you may only need to pull forward 5' with the 5th.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly agree on the tracking difference. Initially, you really have to be aware of the difference when turning corners with curbs or navigating through parking lots.

After 30 years of pulling a travel trailer (and a lifetime of pulling various other types of trailers) and now 14 years of pulling a 5th wheel, I'm still not at the level of backing a 5th wheel where I would like to be. Honestly, I've never had any real trouble with the 5th wheel but it takes me a little longer in very tight campsites. For me, it's not the difference in the way the trailer backs, it's the fact that the nose is so close to the cab and blocks my view.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.superspringsinternationa...osprings/#over
    TSS-107-40
    This was the biggest most profound upgrade I made that improved ride and handling on my 260RD.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw several articles about using that type of spring/snubber when towing fifth wheels. I did some research and ended up ordering the Timbren Springs. I will get them installed this weekend before picking up our 260RD on Tuesday.
    2014 RAM 2500 HD w/6.7 Cummins HO
    2022 GD Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Connection hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that backing the 5th wheel is different than a bumper pull. I have found that when backing and turning, you have to "follow" the trailer quicker than a TT. I also agree that you have to pull forward a few feet to straighten out the rig before backing more into a space. The only thing I don't like about towing a FW is that most of them have a "chucking" condition or forward and back jerking when hitting a bump or dip in the road. Seems to be characteristic of FWs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your ram 2500 should already have the 10 ply’s on it,,as for adding any additional suspension ( air lift, timeren springs) not necessary . 150 series 5 res are a fairly light trlr. You may wanna take it for a ride before doing any suspension add-ons
    Retired Transportation ,
    2015 GMC 2500HD. (6.0L.) Crew Cab. S.R.W.
    2021 reflection 320 MKS. With some mod.s
    2nd. Rv. And lovin it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast