User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV memberships for today's crowds

So, as we prep to pick up our 5th wheel in April for our first trips in April (local) and May (distance), reading through the forum posts on difficulty of obtaining sites and fuel card choices, what would you recommend for those of us starting (or re-starting since we only had KOA years ago) from the ground up? A couple of 3-4 week trips this year - who know what comes next year but not full timing.

We have some flexibility in that we don't need a hook-up every night for travel, but I really am not into 800 mile drives per day any longer and may want an option to stay two nights at a location while in transit.

From a diesel perspective, seems Pilot is more available in the Northeast (Love's not so much) where we will start from and I think I read in one thread that you need to have a Good Sams membership to get a Pilot/Flying J card to allow fueling in the truck lanes? With a 32 gallon tank (unless I mod that), will be stopping for fuel quite frequently.

I've also read the on-line reviews and of course they are all over the map and wondered how many memberships folks start out with? Harvest Hosts interests us, but the potential convenience/availability of a KOA, etc. may come in useful for longer runs?

For my initial short list,
    1) TSD Open Roads Fuel Card
    2) RV Trip Wizard
    3) Pilot card (if that means a yearly Good Sams oh well)
    4) ???

Suggestions/recommendations very welcome.
    Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some things I'd like to point out as you, like me, aren't up for marathon drives. With your fuel tank I expect you'll get over 300 miles between fill-ups. That's 5 to 6 hours in the drivers seat. I determined that to be a good daily stopping point and planned campgrounds accordingly. Also every second day of travel I figured on a two night stop minimum to catch my breath and give my dog a break too.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-22-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use RVTripWizard, and it's associated Campground reviews, a lot. Paid for both back when they were independent, as well as this site. For whatever reason - usage, length of time, or whatever they have renewed me for a two year period for all three, for free!

I used to use Microsoft Streets &Trips for planning, and at the time it was very comprehensive, unfortunately it is long gone. RVTW is getting really close to that complete functionality, now. Some aspects are even better! The only thing I miss is the database of things to see/do in an area, based on distance from a spot. Have also tried Garmin Base Camp, Google Maps, Good Sam but keep coming back to RVTW for any serious planning. I use the reviews section to first do an initial overview of what's available in an area, and how it seems to rate. Then narrow it down by reading all reviews and going directly to the CG web site.

Don't have diesel, so can't comment on the fuel cards themselves, and whether any big savings. Seems like there isn't one of those around when I need gas. At the Love's/Pilots where I have used the truck lanes to get gas (yes, many have regular gas in the truck lanes), there has never been an issue of my use. Several Love's have started to put in dedicated RV lanes - usually oriented to make getting in/out much easier. But not to be counted on.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pilot/Flying J RV card - but only use PFJ as an absolute last resort (discounts with the card are poor and prices are high). I had a GS membership when I signed up for the card, but I've let the GS membership lapse several times since then and it didn't affect the card.

I use the TSD card whenever possible at all other major truck strops. That way, I'm not limited to where I stop and the discounts are much better.

RV Trip Wizard is great! After 6+ years using three or four other tools, I just used RVTW to plan a 3,600 mile, 30-stop trip and love the app. It's well worth the money. (So is a copy of The Mountain Directory in whatever form you choose if you plan on traveling in any of the mountains.)

As for campground/RV park discounts, the things that work the best for us are:

My military ID (retired and stay at military FamCamps whenever possible)
    Escapees RV Club membership
    Good Sam (sometimes)
    Passport America (off and on - not always useful)

We try not to stay at KOAs. IMO, they are way overpriced for what you get. That said, we purchased a KOA discount (maybe they call it Rewards Points or something like that) this winter because, on this long trip coming up, KOAs are all there are in some places - especially in the midwest and parts of WV and NW Maryland. I think we're scheduled to stay at one in Utah, too, since the other places nearby are dumps.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 02-07-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope I get that kind of mileage but that's about how long I would want to drive. Seems like all the recent posts I've read, folks were getting 8-9 mpg which would put me closer to 240 miles for a fill up. Really don't know what to expect going through the Berkshires or mountains on 80 - new truck and trailer but 4 hours or so is probably a little less than I'd want to go. I do like the idea of 2 night stays every other one.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Hope I get that kind of mileage but that's about how long I would want to drive. Seems like all the recent posts I've read, folks were getting 8-9 mpg which would put me closer to 240 miles for a fill up. Really don't know what to expect going through the Berkshires or mountains on 80 - new truck and trailer but 4 hours or so is probably a little less than I'd want to go. I do like the idea of 2 night stays every other one.
    For my gas rig, I plan on an average speed of 50 mph. That takes potty/meal breaks into account. Usually run 70 mph on Interstates, but those stops burn time. On my 32 gal tank, this last trip, we literally coasted into campgrounds. A bit concerned I might not make it to a local station to refuel, after unhitching!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I have a Pilot/Flying J RV card - but only use PFJ as an absolute last resort (discounts with the card are poor and prices are high).

As for campground/RV park discounts, the things that work the best for us are:

My military ID (retired and stay at military FamCamps whenever possible)
    Escapees RV Club membership
    Good Sam (sometimes)
    Passport America (off and on - not always useful)

Rob
    The only truck stops near me are Pilot. I can't think of another station where I could pull in with trailer behind and I've been here over 30 years. Dealership doesn't offer anything complimentary like they used to. Wondering if Grand Design still has FMCA and Harvest Hosts offers? Expect we'll find out tomorrow when we go pay the bill.

FamCamps aren't an option - better half was in NJNG/USAR for only 15 years and a lowly AF contractor here. We will be spending a considerable amount of time on the west side of Bragg where daughter lives. A lot on Bragg, but almost nothing available off base. One of the reasons we bought truck and RV was can't do 15 hour drives in one day anymore and figured on shuttling between the two for some years as well has heading west.

Nice to hear a plus on Escapees and PA - Kind of dismissed them based upon google and YT reviews - at least the ones I had come across that were the most recent.

Mountain Directory seems to be out of print on amazon though a couple of used copies for sale - trucker atlas maybe?
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I use RVTripWizard,
    Seems like that is the pick for many and I plan on subscribing.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a 33 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in my truck. I only got a useful 29 gallons out of my truck's 34 gallon tank. That's not many miles at 8 to 10 MPG. Now I get fuel when/where I want (lots of time in the evening at the cheapest place around).

I have a TDS fuel card - we use it often when prices are right.

We had a Harvest Host's membership - hardly used it, dropped it as it cost as much as an overnight stop too often and didn't even get hook-ups.

We have a Passport America card - it's paid up for a long time so we stay when it is convenient for overnighters and longer if it is a nice park in an area we plan to stay in for a few days.

Lifetime member of Goodsam and have their Pilot/Flying J card (but haven't used it since we got the TDS card).

Members of FMCA if for no other reason than their travel insurance.

Us RV Trip Wizard almost exclusively for planning. Garmin RV GPS for routing. Waze is on almost always for road condition updates.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can get Mountain Directory here: https://mountaindirectory.com/

A great resource for avoiding "pucker" situations!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast