User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Considering the sheer number of trailers on the road, and the very rare occurrence of propane powered fires while traveling, I think the risk factor is negligible.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel a little stupid for adding to a subject that has been discussed ad nauseum.

As a newbie, what got me comfortable running the fridge while driving was seeing the gas line running to the fridge outside the underbelly and understanding the fridge flame is pretty much on the outside too.

There is no chance for gas to get into the cabin and anything bad happening from that flame on the outside of the fridge.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    I am curious to whether others travel with one of the propane tanks open to let the refrigerator run? Yes, I realize that in case of an accident this could be a very bad day; I've generally not done so. thoughts?
    You will find the answer is about 50/50. We do and have since 1992, with no issues, but others don't. Good reasons both ways. If you do travel with the propane on, remember there are certain tunnels and bridges that require you turn them off before you enter.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    It would take lottery winning luck for a spark to start a fire from my fridge when it was propane. The fridge is on the right hand side of the TT. Trucks gas fill is on the left. TT's usually clear out in the parking lot while the trucks at the pump.
    And the fridge flame is 3-4’ of the ground, hydrocarbon vapors being heavier than air not likely build up enough to get even 6” deep on the ground.
    Same as the rest, been doing it for years no issue. Some bridges, tunnels require it off and ferrys for sure want the propane off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been towing since 97, propane's on while on the road, never had an issue. I turn the tanks off while fueling, then back on when clear of the area. If the frig ever goes out, would consider a 12volt replacement
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been running with the fridge running on Propane for 35+ years on 4 different RV's. I always made sure NOT to park with the fridge near the pump, and our last three RV's have been long enough that to make the turns into and out of gas stations that the hose could barely reach the truck.
    With our 2016 Solitude we find it MUCH easier to use truck stops because there is no shoe-horning required to get in or out. We got the TDS card which saves us enough $$ on diesel fuel to have a nice dinner when we get to Florida from Michigan...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I don’t know that there are any state level mandates to have propane off, but I do know that certain areas do have codes to test affect, specifically New York. You can’t go through the Holland, Mid Town or Lincoln tunnels without turning the propane off. Been a long times since in lived there, so not sure it is enforced anymore.
    You can't go through any tunnels around NY with propane regardless weather they are on or off. Same in Baltimore if carrying propane you have to use the Francis Scott Key bridge (key Bridge).
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been towing with the propane on for the last 20 years and never had an issue - not to say issues couldn't arise.
    I don't know that I've ever read a news story about a RV crash that was made worse or preventable by propane being on while travelling.

What ever you're comfortable with.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234