Likes Likes:  0

Thread: side screens

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

side screens

Does anyone know how to remove the screens on the slide-out side windows?
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Does anyone know how to remove the screens on the slide-out side windows?
    Note: This is for single pane windows. I do not know if the double pane windows are the same or different.

For the single pane windows (at least in our trailer) there are two white plastic tabs (triangles?) along one side of each screen. From inside the trailer, pull the tabs away from the frame. I find it is helpful to take my other hand and push the screen frame on the opposite side in the same direction (towards the frame on that side). It can take a fair amount of force. Especially the first few times. There are two metal springs (about a 1/4 of the way in from each side) you are trying to compress. Once the screen moves a little (~1/4" - just a guess), start pulling the screen into the trailer (while still moving it across the frame). Once it has moved far enough the screen will come out of the frame on that side. Once that happens, reverse the direction of movement and pull the screen out of the frame on the other side. It can take a fair amount of force, but is fairly easy once you have done it a couple of times.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 01-22-2022 at 08:21 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying. No tabs and no springs. The screens will slide up if the window is up but I cannot see how to remove them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying. No tabs and no springs. The screens will slide up if the window is up but I cannot see how to remove them.
    Do you have single or double pane windows?

What type of window (apron (hand crank), vertical slider, horizontal slider)?

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    single pane, vertical slide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    single pane, vertical slide
    Please bare with me as my wording is not the best and I am doing this from memory. There is a channel in the window frame that the scream fits in. There are springs on one side that push the screen/screen frame to one side (or top/bottom). On our vertical opening windows (bedroom slide out ends and dinning room slide out ends), we do not have any pull tabs either. The screen fits into a screen frame and wraps around one side of the frame. The screen should be on the outside of the screen frame, but can be put in backwards. Find the side (inside or outside of the trailer) that is opposite the screen, so you can push directly on the screen frame. Push the screen frame up into the window frame. If that does not work, try pushing the screen frame down into the window frame. One way will work (move the screen). Push it far enough and one side should pull out. Let me know if that works for you.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Please bare with me as my wording is not the best and I am doing this from memory. There is a channel in the window frame that the scream fits in. There are springs on one side that push the screen/screen frame to one side (or top/bottom). On our vertical opening windows (bedroom slide out ends and dinning room slide out ends), we do not have any pull tabs either. The screen fits into a screen frame and wraps around one side of the frame. The screen should be on the outside of the screen frame, but can be put in backwards. Find the side (inside or outside of the trailer) that is opposite the screen, so you can push directly on the screen frame. Push the screen frame up into the window frame. If that does not work, try pushing the screen frame down into the window frame. One way will work (move the screen). Push it far enough and one side should pull out. Let me know if that works for you.

Chris
    What you describe is the same as on my Reflection 337. If the window frame was tweaked during factory installation it might be very difficult to get the screens out. I have a window in the kitchen over the stovetop that had a screen that was hard to get out. After the window broke and I replaced the window I found the window frame was not square in the wall and had been forced in and was in a bind. Also the track where the screen had to push up in the channel was bent and had mallet impressions. Something to look for if the screen won’t come out.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I tried to push the screen to the side and could get it half out but I was afraid that I would bend it so bad I would not be able to replace it. O well, guess I will figure a way to clean window and screen without removal.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I tried to push the screen to the side and could get it half out but I was afraid that I would bend it so bad I would not be able to replace it. O well, guess I will figure a way to clean window and screen without removal.
    One word of caution, be very careful with the window locks. they are very easy to break on the vertical sliders and (as far as I know) require removing the entire window from the trailer to replace.

Good luck
    Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO