User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 v 15a fuse blows instantly - 30a fuse gets really hot...

2020 Solitude 3740BH
    5th 15amp fuse from the left in the panel popped this afternoon - replacements pop immediately; including 20a and 25a. 30a fuse doesn't pop, but gets hot quickly. This fuse is for the 12v lights in the passthrough storage, master BR lights, Master BR AC on/off switch, front bathroom lights and BunkHouse Slideout lights. I am assuming there is a new short somewhere. Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with the same?
    Full-time as of March 1, 2020
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes
    Onan Generator, TheDryCampers Installed Solar, Slide-Out Awnings

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtintx View Post
    2020 Solitude 3740BH
    5th 15amp fuse from the left in the panel popped this afternoon - replacements pop immediately; including 20a and 25a. 30a fuse doesn't pop, but gets hot quickly. This fuse is for the 12v lights in the passthrough storage, master BR lights, Master BR AC on/off switch, front bathroom lights and BunkHouse Slideout lights. I am assuming there is a new short somewhere. Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with the same?
    First, never put in a fuse that's a higher rating than you OEM. Dangerous thing to do, especially if you suspect something is wrong. That fuse is protecting the wires.

Second, really just have to start tracing. Does sound like a short some where. I would start at the receptacles. Pull those and check for signs of overheating.

Full Timing Family in a 2021 Momentum 395MS-R, towed by our
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going on a limb here. Agree with the above oversizing the fuses. Have you had mice at anytime? Likely not but had to ask. My first guess would be a faulty switch arcing. Is it possible that the switch in the storage compartment could have been damaged? I don't know how the switches are wired at the rear but it could be a loose connection as well. I would suspect that the main wiring runs should be intact unless a wire is placed in a position where it could get squeezed. Bunkhouse slide out lights? Is there movement in the wiring there? Potential damage to the wires?

Good luck.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loose wire
    Bad switch
    Charged or cut wire causing short to ground

Hard part is finding it…
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post

I would start at the receptacles. Pull those and check for signs of overheating.
    Why would he do that? Wall outlets have nothing to do with 12V.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Why would he do that? Wall outlets have nothing to do with 12V.
    You are correct, poor choice of wording. I meant things that are wired into the circuit (switches, lighting, powered devices, etc.)

Full Timing Family in a 2021 Momentum 395MS-R, towed by our
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtintx View Post
    2020 Solitude 3740BH
    I have no idea how Solitudes are wired but if this started after a move I would look at the wiring in the slides where the lights don’t work. In the Reflection 337 they put DC wiring on the floor under the bed platform that get ripped apart when the slide moves. May be something similar in your case. Just a guess.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    I am going on a limb here. Agree with the above oversizing the fuses. Have you had mice at anytime? Likely not but had to ask. My first guess would be a faulty switch arcing. Is it possible that the switch in the storage compartment could have been damaged? I don't know how the switches are wired at the rear but it could be a loose connection as well. I would suspect that the main wiring runs should be intact unless a wire is placed in a position where it could get squeezed. Bunkhouse slide out lights? Is there movement in the wiring there? Potential damage to the wires?

Good luck.
    We haven't had any mice, thus far. The issue appeared several hours after we had moved to a new campground and set up. I have been able to narrow down the impacted lights/switches and will have to manually check each one tomorrow when I have some more light in the pass through and under the slides.
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    I have no idea how Solitudes are wired but if this started after a move I would look at the wiring in the slides where the lights don’t work. In the Reflection 337 they put DC wiring on the floor under the bed platform that get ripped apart when the slide moves. May be something similar in your case. Just a guess.
    I will definitely check the wiring in the 2 impacted slides tomorrow when I have more light.
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Loose wire
    Bad switch
    Charged or cut wire causing short to ground

Hard part is finding it…
    No kidding! It looks like I will have to manually check each light/switch along with the related wiring and hope the issue is obvious.
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast