User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter Issue - 2021 Solitude ST310GK

We have an issue with our 2021 Solitude ST310GK that our RV dealer can’t seem to correct. My hope is that someone on this forum has had similar issues and can point me in the right direction. Our converter does not keep our batteries charged while we are hooked to shore power. This has been going on for now for roughly 16-18 months and started right before our 1-year warranty expired. After a couple of days of being hooked to shore power (50amp) the refrigerator will show a “low DC” message and the 12v lights in the unit start flickering and getting dim. So we hook up our own battery charger to get around the issue. Unfortunately, when we take it into our dealer’s shop, they say the converter is working perfectly. The first time they replaced the batteries (they were roughly 12 months old) and said that was our issue. The next time we took it in for this issue they hooked up our unit to shore power (using our power cord) over the Christmas holiday, turned on just about everything they could think of that would run off of 12v power, let it sit for 4-5 days, and the batteries apparently still showed a full charge when they came back in from holiday. Once again, they said the converter is working perfectly. Very frustrating. I have never accessed the converter in our Solitude and only have a vague idea where it is located from looking at posts from this forum. I have never removed nor accessed any panels in our underbelly. Is it possible we could somehow be doing something that is causing the converter to not work properly? Could we be blocking the converter cooling unit somehow to make it overheat and shut off? We don't use any more 12v power than anyone else does, as near as I can tell.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We just started on a 5 week trip in our RV and on the 2nd or 3rd day our batteries were out of charge AGAIN. I just keep charging them with my battery charger, but that just can’t be the right long-term solution. Thanks ahead of time for any ideas you might have.
    Jim and Jan; retired
    2021 Solitude 310-GK; 25k Curt hitch
    Tow vehicle: 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD
    Diesel, non-dually

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you are keeping the battery disconnect key turned in the "on" position and not removed?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure sounds like your converter isn't converting.

Your converter should be behind the passenger side wall in your basement storage area. Unfortunately you will need to unscrew the wall to get to the converter.

Try this.....
    1. with the RV unplugged from shore power put a volt meter on your battery and take note of the reading. I'll guess it is in the mid to low 12 volt DC range. If it is under 12 you probably have a bad battery.
    2. have someone plug the RV into shore power (even a 15 amp or 20a circuit is OK but a 30a or 50 is better. Watch the meter on the battery as the RV is plugged in. The voltage should jump to over 13 volts DC. That is what the converter should be putting out to keep you battery charged.

If the reading doesn't go up then the converter isn't working. It could simply be that the breaker for the circuit the converter is plugged into isn't on or the converter is unplugged.

The above things should tell you if the converter is working or not. Once you get behind the panel in the basement you can measure directly at the converter output to check to see if it is working. You can also check that the 120v receptacle that the converter is plugged into to be sure it is really getting power.

Now - on to the battery condition. You can have it load tested at any auto store or repair facility. So maybe that is in order.

Also after going through all this testing and investigation you should find out if all your connections are good between the battery and the converter.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the battery disconnect key have something to do with the converter? We always turn the key on and leave it in place when using the RV. That said, we do move things around and store items near the key. Are you suggesting that the position of the key (turned on but perhaps not seeded perfectly) could impact the functioning of the converter?

When we store the RV, we always turn the key off and remove it. We also disconnect the battery terminal connections. BTW, we have two batteries.
    Jim and Jan; retired
    Diesel, non-dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty sure I did this process several months ago when the issue first surfaced, but I will do it again. It sure can't hurt since we need to get this resolved.
    Jim and Jan; retired
    Diesel, non-dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Battery Disconnect Switch is turned "OFF" then the converter won't charge your batteries, but also, most 12V devices won't have power. As was mentioned, you really need to check the converter yourself, if you don't trust your dealer. Maybe try a mobile RV mechanic if you're uncomfortable checking electrical items yourself.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two things you can do to verify that the converter is charging your batteries is as follows when connected to shore power and the disconnect switch is too:

1. Verify converter output at the converter by connecting a multi meter and measuring the output. It should read either 13.2 or 13.6.

2. With the battery at rest and the rig not connected to shore power, use a multi meter and get a reading of the battery voltage.

3 connect to shore power and check the voltage at the battery now. It should reflect the charge value if your converter is charging the batteries.

Now if you do not get charging voltage directly from the converter then it is clearly bad.

If you get good voltage from the converter, but not at the batteries then either your converter is bad or something between the converter and your batteries is a problem.

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you called or emailed GD about this. If you had contacted your dealer b4 the end of your warranty GD may replace the converter as a warranty item even after the warranty ends. When you contact GD have your VIN handy or included in the email.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the OP a couple of times it is stated " After a couple of days of being hooked to shore power (50amp) the refrigerator will show a “low DC” message and the 12v lights in the unit start flickering and getting dim."

Connected to shore power the trailer should not be relying on 12vdc supply from the battery, right?

If there is a 12vdc interruption, i.e. lights and fridge, it seems it could be narrowed down to the converter. Maybe an intermittent issue and that is why the service department could not identify or correct. Or could there be an internal short in one of the batteries causing an abnormal load on the charging circuit of the converter?

The easiest way to eliminate the batteries is to do a simple load test. If good, start working backwards toward the converter.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If the Battery Disconnect Switch is turned "OFF" then the converter won't charge your batteries, but also, most 12V devices won't have power. As was mentioned, you really need to check the converter yourself, if you don't trust your dealer. Maybe try a mobile RV mechanic if you're uncomfortable checking electrical items yourself.
    The battery disconnect switch can cause your batteries to not be charged if you switch it off accidentally while you are moving things around inside the hold (we recently had this issue).

What is curious about your problem is that if the Converter is working, even if your battery disconnect switch is turned off, your Converter should be keeping the voltage inside the coach at 13.2v (or 13.6v), this would be true even if you did not have any batteries inside the camper at all. Consequently, I think you have a bad converter, in that, it works fine when tested and when just turned on, however, at some point during your two day camping trip the Converter is failing and not generating enough voltage to keep the coach operating (or charge the batteries).

The suggestion to ask Grand Design to replace your Converter is valid, however, if you are planning to upgrade to Lithium batteries in the future, you might want to consider just buying a new, Lithium capable, Progressive Dynamics Converter. This way, you will be ready for your future upgrade.

Note: I have read rumors that OEMs might be installing Lithium capable Converters and you might get lucky with a Warranty replacement Converter from GD, however, if it was me, I would just buy the new Progressive Dynamics Converter and be done with it.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast