User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that is good to know. I will see what my agent tells me in NC. The taxes alone yearly since they make us pay personal property tax on vehicles will be about 850 a year + the tag which is 50 bucks.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    It may depends on your State. In Florida, my State Farm agent told me it will be rated as a private vehicle. Last month my State Farm agent quoted only a $44 increase in premium every 6 months to replace my 2020 F-350 Lariat SRW with a 2022 F-450 Platinum.

Also annual tag registration fees are the same as my F-350, $144/yr. I know NC has some strange fees compared to Florida.

See the below insurance quote he sent me
    To add, State DMVs are funny animals... If they actually followed logic and the intent, personally owned and operated truck should not be titled or registered commercial. That's an indicator of use. Unfortunately, that's the oddness you get when States are empowered to make up their interpretations. Anyway, I digress.
    So, here's the other thing to look at in your State and don't just get an "oh, it's not considered commercial." Many, many States don't because they follow use-based registration. However, what could get you is the registered class of vehicle based on weight. In some States, leaping up to that class can be an intense, wallet draining experience!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35k to date on my 21 450 that is our daily driver and used to tow our Solitude 390RKR and anything else I hitch up to it with no issues. The 19.5 tires and wheels are the worst. I've had to be very mindful with the stock tire and wheel setup about getting off hard surfaces. Even wet grass can be problematic. The conti tires on the front of mine are trashed so I just ordered a set of 20" fuel forged wheels and toyo at3 tires. Load ratings are almost identical if not more than the factory setup and I'm still stock height. No leveling kit.
    I use my 450 as a Daily driver. The wide track front end turning radius is 7' shorter than my 18 250. Adaptive steering in parking lots is amazing as well as in campgrounds. It's a 10k truck unloaded and rides like one. I honestly don't think it rides any worse than my 18 250 did. My stock shocks are toast and I'm trying to decide what to upgrade those with. Probably going with a 2.5" tube shock for the weight and how bad our country's freeways are when towing. Anything I have ever hooked up to the 450 has been super stable. I always laugh at the folks who report towing 18-20k rigs like it's not even back there. That's hogwash. You absolutely know it's back there at all times but the commercial brakes do an amazing job of stopping. Out west in the long mountain passes I set my cruise at 65 and let it do it's thing. I will say the 20 and newer models were programmed differently and use way more def comparably. I fill up the 7.5 gallon def tank every other or every third tank of fuel. Stock tank 48 gallons for reference.
    The unloaded ride can be stiff at times for sure. A good quality aftermarket shock helps with that. Airbags also help soften the ride as well. I don't have them at the moment but will likely add them this summer. Truck doesn't need them but I know riding on a cushion of air has to be more comfortable than stock.
    I've had zero buyer's remorse. I absolutely love driving the truck. Like I said the turning radius is easily the biggest selling point and one of those things that makes you forget you are driving a very big truck. I haven't had any issues with my truck.
    Where are you located? There is a 450 owners group on Facebook you might be able to arrange a test drive. If you are nearby me you are welcome to drive mine.
    If you can find one or order one do it. The market for them is silly right now. If you hate the truck you will be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. I would have already sold mine and ordered a new one if the delay wasn't so long for a new one.
    I replaced the front air dam with one for a Tremor. Major improvement in looks and now I don't have to worry about dragging the stock one off.
    Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me if you have additional questions. Happy to help. The 450 can seem like a unicorn at times as many don't have them or know anything about them.
    No commercial registration or insurance required here but don't be surprised if your agent initially says it's a commercial truck. It isn't. Hence the lowered payload that is affected by the fact that Ford derated the GVWR to 14k to keep it out of commercial weight specs. That's why a similarly optioned 350DRW will have 1000 lb more payload on the door sticker when in reality the 450 would be around 7500 based on what a 350 and 550 are tagged as. Dodge and GM guys will get all bent about that as there is not anything on paper to prove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link to a great review from BTBRV on the Ford F-450. I learned a few things, like a 450 pickup is not the same as a 450 chassis cab!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

I stayed with the Ram 3500 DRW for payload (450 will have a lower payload) if it is still 14,000 GVWR cause the 450 weights 1,000 more then a 350 (heavier front axle, bigger wheels and tires).
    Bigger wheels will give it a rougher ride. Only plus I see to a 450 is the bigger brakes and tighter steering. My Ram has such a killer exhaust brake that not sure how much the brakes come into play other then a panic stop.

New trucks are awesome though, 10k on my 2021 Longhorn already.
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Ok, that is good to know. I will see what my agent tells me in NC. The taxes alone yearly since they make us pay personal property tax on vehicles will be about 850 a year + the tag which is 50 bucks.
    Be glad you're not further south! In SC, taxes on my 450, first year I owned it; close to 4K. SC rates HD pickup trucks differently for tax purposes; long story short, it's basically double the cost of a light duty pickup truck. It's also, incidentally, why a F250 exists. The difference in taxes of a 10 year period for a 250 vs a 350 in SC might be 10,000 dollars. It's a massive swing once you go over 10K. Which, of course, is why you have 250's out there that are effectively a derated 350 SRW.

My only complaint on my 19 450's ride is echoed by others, it follows grooves in the road badly, and it's a disconcerting feeling. Yes, you get used to it, but I really wish I could figure a way to stop it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVingwithJessandChris View Post
    35k to date on my 21 450 that is our daily driver and used to tow our Solitude 390RKR and anything else I hitch up to it with no issues. The 19.5 tires and wheels are the worst.
    I've had zero buyer's remorse. I absolutely love driving the truck. Like I said the turning radius is easily the biggest selling point and one of those things that makes you forget you are driving a very big truck. I haven't had any issues with my truck.
    Where are you located? There is a 450 owners group on Facebook you might be able to arrange a test drive. If you are nearby me you are welcome to drive mine.
    If you can find one or order one do it. The market for them is silly right now. If you hate the truck you will be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. I would have already sold mine and ordered a new one if the delay wasn't so long for a new one.
    I replaced the front air dam with one for a Tremor. Major improvement in looks and now I don't have to worry about dragging the stock one off.
    Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me if you have additional questions. Happy to help. The 450 can seem like a unicorn at times as many don't have them or know anything about them.
    No commercial registration or insurance required here but don't be surprised if your agent initially says it's a commercial truck. It isn't. Hence the lowered payload that is affected by the fact that Ford derated the GVWR to 14k to keep it out of commercial weight specs. That's why a similarly optioned 350DRW will have 1000 lb more payload on the door sticker when in reality the 450 would be around 7500 based on what a 350 and 550 are tagged as. Dodge and GM guys will get all bent about that as there is not anything on paper to prove it.
    Great feedback, thanks. What will a set of wheels and tires cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Be glad you're not further south! In SC, taxes on my 450, first year I owned it; close to 4K. SC rates HD pickup trucks differently for tax purposes; long story short, it's basically double the cost of a light duty pickup truck. It's also, incidentally, why a F250 exists. The difference in taxes of a 10 year period for a 250 vs a 350 in SC might be 10,000 dollars. It's a massive swing once you go over 10K. Which, of course, is why you have 250's out there that are effectively a derated 350 SRW.

My only complaint on my 19 450's ride is echoed by others, it follows grooves in the road badly, and it's a disconcerting feeling. Yes, you get used to it, but I really wish I could figure a way to stop it.
    Your complaint is the only thing that will hold me back to get a 450.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never driven a 450 but have driven 550s, 650s, and commercial IH trucks. Totally agree that many of today's OEM big tires tend to follow the anti-hydroplane grooves, like running over a steel grate bridge. If you can afford an F450, you can probably afford to dump the OEM 225/70R19.5Gs. Check out the tread configuration on Ironman I-604, Toyo M608, Hercules Strong Guard HDO, and Goodyear's G622 RSD. Each of these look like they have more "traction" than the OEMs.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12